September 20, 2024, 05:31:51 AM

Author Topic: 2010-03-18 - Austin, TX - Austin Music Hall (SXSW)  (Read 37175 times)

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-03-18 - Austin, TX - Austin Music Hall (SXSW)
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2010, 07:13:32 PM »
I noticed in that BTL video that Scott was moving on stage a little more and active. I have a theory. Of course I think age, fitness, and time have effected Scott's onstage persona. Going back to the conversation about why he's not as active on stage anymore, I think it has to do mostly with aging and fitness. Back in the #4 era he was completely RIPPED and working out/running every day. I think hard drugs, too, gave him more energy performing. So being clean probably has an effect too (not that I know he's 100% clean, easily could not be).

Anyway, my theory is that, at least in part, his lack of energy onstage is related to the music he's playing. While STP is a great financial bonus for all those guys, those songs were all written 10-20 years ago. Most of the ones they're playing are in the latter part of that range. I think part of the problem is Scott, while still delivering awesome performances vocally, is just less inspired and "in the zone" singing Plush, Vasoline etc... I think we all saw on his solo tour that he was more active on stage, and I think the BTL clip was more along those lines. So while age, fitness, and narcotics play a part in the live changes, I'd argue that lack of fresh material was playing a part too. Good to see him more active and having fun up there. Lots to be excited about in STP land!

Mabby

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/mattmabe
« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2010, 07:22:02 PM »
AWESOME SHOW!!!

It's the best they've sounded since I saw them in 2002.

Dean was ROCKING hard and having a great time.

Scott sounded better than he has in a long time. He seemed more active too! Moved around a lot.

The new songs were great!

kretzl

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2010, 07:23:21 PM »
I agree with JudgeSTP.  If look back to Core, when he was probably his most active, doing the full out kung fu type dancing, everything was new of course.  So he was completely into it.  Purple is when the heroin addition was in full swing, and he really had a lack of energy at that point, IMO.  The Tiny Music and No 4 tours he was back to his old self with the dancing, and was supposidly clean for the most part, but seemed regain a certain zest for life.  The reunion tour is when he had really slowed down, but at that point I think he was pretty beaten down between the VR drama, constant touring, his brothers death, being away from his kids and the separation from Mary.  Plus, whatever else he was "doing" at the time.  I think he's back to feeling renewed again, but maybe isn't quite as active as the old days because of what JudgeSTP said.  He does seem to be really into the new songs though, which is great to see.  Should be a great tour if he can stay on the straightened arrow!

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2010, 07:25:15 PM »
Quote from: "JugeSTP"
So while age, fitness, and narcotics play a part in the live changes, I'd argue that lack of fresh material was playing a part too. Good to see him more active and having fun up there. Lots to be excited about in STP land!

I feel the same way man, I think new tunes def has reignited the flame  :D

I think that is the best version of Plush I have heard since they broke up
Quote from: "Mabby"
AWESOME SHOW!!!

It's the best they've sounded since I saw them in 2002.

Dean was ROCKING hard and having a great time.

Scott sounded better than he has in a long time. He seemed more active too! Moved around a lot.

The new songs were great!

Nice man glad you go experience the new tunes first hand. Its been cool to hear such great things about the show and how on fire they were.
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2010, 07:36:49 PM »
Huckleberry Crumble and Hickory Dichotomy sound very promising.  Bagman actually made me laugh, it just sounds cheesy *watch it end up being my favorite on the album*.  Between the lines sounds a lot better than I thought when hearing the clip.  Hopefully tonight we get some better video of the new songs.

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 19, 2010, 07:39:24 PM »
Quote from: "Stpilots98"
Hopefully tonight we get some better video of the new songs.

Where are they playing tonight?  I thought their next tour date was tomorrow  ???
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

Sin

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=127989536
« Reply #201 on: March 19, 2010, 07:40:45 PM »
These clips got me more excited than ever for the album. The songs sound awesome! May is gonna be a great month- new album and series finale of Lost!
Sin makes me strong.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2010, 07:42:26 PM »
I know we're all excited about the new album, but has anyone found video of Hollywood Bitch?
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Bartman

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2010, 07:43:36 PM »
Quote from: "Tyrant"
Spinner review
http://www.spinner.com/2010/03/19/stone ... lbum-sxsw/
Did anyone notice how they refer to brothers Don and Robert DeLeo?

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 19, 2010, 07:46:56 PM »
Hickory Dichotomy sounds like a page from the book of zeppelin (no pun intended.) I FUCKING LOVE IT!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:49:16 PM by Silvergun Picture Show »
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 19, 2010, 07:47:09 PM »
Quote from: "Jim The Stimulator"
Hopefully tonight we get some better video of the new songs.

Where are they playing tonight?  I thought their next tour date was tomorrow  ???

I meant tomorrow, my bad :(

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 19, 2010, 07:47:44 PM »
Quote from: "Silvergun Picture Show"
Hickory Dichotomy sounds like a page from the book zeppelin (no pun intended.) I FUCKING LOVE IT!

Agree, I am digging it very much

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 19, 2010, 08:27:03 PM »
Hickory Dichotomy sounds like a page from the book zeppelin (no pun intended.) I FUCKING LOVE IT!

me too!! I can already say that this cd is better than SLDD imo. SO far two songs have really pulled me in. hC and bagman are ok too!

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 19, 2010, 08:28:28 PM »
Quote from: "Son Of Sam"

me too!! I can already say that this cd is better than SLDD imo. SO far two songs have really pulled me in. hC and bagman are ok too!

Geez, that's going a little far.  SLDD could arguably be their best album.

facepollution

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 19, 2010, 08:37:24 PM »
Quote from: "Son Of Sam"

Geez, that's going a little far.  SLDD could arguably be their best album.

Only if you were a super hardcore "I'm bored of their most popular songs" fan could SLDD be considered their best album!  To me STP have always been about the melodies, I totally get what they mean when they say they have a sonic blueprint, but SLDD is not a collection of their best melodies.