October 01, 2024, 11:42:02 PM

Author Topic: 2010-03-27 - Chicago, IL - Riviera Theatre  (Read 20242 times)

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-03-27 - Chicago, IL - Riviera Theatre
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2010, 12:30:23 AM »
Listen to Scott at the beginning of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-UGhzBiQgU

It's not sober Scott. Sorry folks.

Something cool about that video though. The first song they play. Is the same as a song they played 1/2/2009. VegasCrackerman recorded it. Here's his video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaWm1gJA2o8
Bleeda blooda

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2010, 12:39:56 AM »
Quote from: "andrew"
Quote from: "lowlight10"
you guys are free to think what you want. I've listened to the show twice today and stand by my initial reaction from last night. for those of you who think I was on something, I wasnt. I've been listening to live STP recordings for 15 years and I'm not talking about youtube clips.

the band was tight, Scott was not. it may just be the wear and tear of years of drug abuse. if he was on something, than its amazing he could keep up as much as he did. his demeanor and speech lead me to believe he was not 100% sober. am I worried about him? yes.

my opinion. we'll see. I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

I agree with you. Not sure what he's on, but he's on something. The more I watch that video of Between The Lines, the more I think that.... I'm not dissing Scott or anything, but I've seen him fucked up, and I've seen him sober.

There is no way he is completely sober in that video. He might not be fucked, but he's on something. Could be booze, could be pain pills, could be both.

I'm pretty sure it's not booze. He seems to be really subdued when he's drunk, here he's firing on all cylinders. If anything it's too energetic. Like I said before, we'll just have to wait and see. But I'm willing to bet it's because of painkillers for his ankle.

I do find it kind of ironic that we spend almost two years saying Scott's slowed down or his heart's not in it anymore because he's to subdued, but once he puts energy into the show everyone jumps to the conclusion that he's on something again. I guess he's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2010, 12:57:54 AM »

Damn yeah you're right. I was away for the weekend and come back to all of this on BE. Really disappointing...I really hope that Milwaukee was just a one time thing. I'm really glad that last night's show seemed to be great but I'm still worried about Scott  :-[
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2010, 03:12:55 AM »

Something cool about that video though. The first song they play. Is the same as a song they played 1/2/2009. VegasCrackerman recorded it. Here's his video:

But this is my point. Some people are debating whether or not Scott was sober, and others are debating whether or not the concert was a good performance.  Of course to some degree these go hand in hand, but the performance itself was great.  If anyone here is judging a missed note or slight change in melodies here and there, I've got news for you - STP has been doing that for years in live performances. They are a visceral band - not a "copy what we've recorded in the studio" band.

I know a lot of what's being said here is opinion, but if you really knew the band, it's sound and timing then you'd know that the Chicago show was a tight performance. To the guy who said that if we heard the recorded show we'd change our minds, I say this:

A) if you've got it, then produce it for download here and we will ;)
B) I'm not even going to go here  dissecting every cracked note, because it's intellectual nonsense.  I'm speaking from 18 years of following STP performances live and in the studio - This was a good STP show overall.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2010, 01:26:02 PM »

Yeah i guess its one of the mellower songs off the new album, takes me back to Purple dat one :) Love the sound of it!!!

morcegohoman

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2010, 01:51:07 PM »
OK, here's my 2 cents. I just got back from Chicago. I loved the show, but because the Milwaukee thread and this one are all full of concern, I will address the negatives as well as the positives.

1. Scott came out on stage to begin the evening before the rest of the band and began speaking into the mic for 10-15 seconds before he (they?) realized that it was not even ON. I'm not sure who turned the mic on. Then they went into Vasoline.

2. The band sounded great and so did Scott...but in between songs he sounded drunk.

3. I saw him stumble on the right side of the stage, but it was no big deal.

4. At one point later in the show Scott was EATING! He came up to the mic chewing and making light of it. Later on in the show he tossed a bowl full of...what I thought were guitar picks at first....right into the crowd. And then he added something like "Was it burning acid? Or just potato chips?"

5. My first impression of him was that he looked healthy, weight-wise. His arms looked "big" for him, but I don't think he's been lifting. He's just not skeletal anymore. Had a small gut going on too.

6. He and Dean kissed mouth-to-mouth in a very gay way. he even mentioned that it may have looked bisexual. It was just them joking around, but I think I've seen a picture of them kissing, maybe on this website. Whatever....but I guess they're not hung-up on the mishap at the Milwaukee show.

7. Scott was way off key during Piece of Pie. WAY off key. I remember once though he sounded bad on Howard Stern, and later told Howard that he couldn't hear himself in the monitor, so...maybe same kind of problem?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 02:55:20 PM by morcegohoman »

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2010, 02:34:16 PM »
4. At one point later in the show Scott was EATING! He came up to the mic chewing and making light of it. Later on in the show he tossed a bowl full of...what I thought were guitar picks at first....right into the crowd. And then he added something like "Was it burning acid? Or just potato chips?"

That not new.
When he was in VR I swear there was a bowl of spaghetti on the drum riser and he would eat during Slash's solo's. There was definitely a bowl of funions.
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2010, 02:55:03 PM »
If i were to guess I'd say baked lays =)
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2010, 03:31:08 PM »
Quote from: "lowlight10"
you guys are free to think what you want. I've listened to the show again since then and stand by my initial reaction from last night. for those of you who think I was on something, I wasnt. I've been listening to live STP recordings for 15 years and I'm not talking about youtube clips.

the band was tight, Scott was not. it may just be the wear and tear of years of drug abuse. if he was on something, then its amazing he could keep up as much as he did. his demeanor and speech lead me to believe he was not 100% sober. am I worried about him? yes.

my opinion. we'll see. I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

I'm in agreement with you.  I thought the performance in KC was sub-par.  After reading other people's rave reviews I felt like I was taking crazy pills.  I'm just not hearing what everyone else is apparently hearing.  Rob, Dean, and Eric were excellent, and Scott put on a great performance VISUALLY (he was very physical on stage), but Scott's singing was not that great.  Sure, some songs went well- but he was way off key during several songs (LoungeFly and Piece of Pie especially).  Scott's vocals used to blow me away live... and I found myself feeling underwhelmed with the recent performances.
Sin make me strong.

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2010, 03:49:21 PM »
Quote from: "IMJ"
If anyone here is judging a missed note or slight change in melodies here and there, I've got news for you - STP has been doing that for years in live performances. They are a visceral band - not a "copy what we've recorded in the studio" band.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there.  These recent shows have not contained just a "missed note or slight change in melody".  STP has not been screwing up songs and singing off key for years.  STP used to put on one flawless show after another.  Whenever Scott or the band did take liberties to jazz up a song in a live performance, it was intentional and it sounded good- the sound was still tight.  Scott is an amazing vocalist, and used to be able to perform live without missing hardly any notes.  Scott's voice has just sounded plain sloppy on many songs recently, and I don't believe it's intentional (trying to sound different from the albums).

Everyone can go ahead and flame me if they want.  I'm just trying to stay honest with myself.
Sin make me strong.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2010, 04:01:14 PM »
On another, somewhat silly note... there was some guy with a beard with his super skinny, little girlfriend standing next to us on the ramp for a while at the show before disappearing into the crowd.

I swear that I've seen a picture of that guy on the forums before... was that anyone here?

Again, really dumb addition to the thread, but I thought I'd ask. :)

I have a beard, but it wasn't I.

I was there in spirit  ;D
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2010, 05:44:06 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
On another, somewhat silly note... there was some guy with a beard with his super skinny, little girlfriend standing next to us on the ramp for a while at the show before disappearing into the crowd.

I swear that I've seen a picture of that guy on the forums before... was that anyone here?

It couldn't have been Scott.  If it was him, he'd have come up from behind you and said that he "recognized the back of your head" - which I STILL don't even know what that means, considering it was the first time he saw ANY portion of my head - back or front.  That's his MO at concerts.  Telling people he recognizes their head.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2010, 07:36:42 PM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"

It couldn't have been Scott.  If it was him, he'd have come up from behind you and said that he "recognized the back of your head" - which I STILL don't even know what that means, considering it was the first time he saw ANY portion of my head - back or front.  That's his MO at concerts.  Telling people he recognizes their head.

LOL. It's not like I never saw a picture of you before Jessie. That's how I recognized your 'head.'
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2010, 07:46:10 PM »

LOL. It's not like I never saw a picture of you before Jessie. That's how I recognized your 'head.'

lmao.  I didn't mean to make you sound like a creep.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2010, 11:12:50 PM »
lmao.  I didn't mean to make you sound like a creep.[/quote]
hahaha it is not like he was carrying the picture around LOL comparing it to other heads..
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫