September 20, 2024, 04:28:06 PM

Author Topic: 2010-03-22 - Kansas City, MO - The Midland  (Read 16358 times)

down

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-03-22 - Kansas City, MO - The Midland
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2010, 06:45:30 PM »
Suffer long if you see this, I'll be wearing a No.4 shirt, and grey skirt. Me and andrew want to hang out with you and any other Below emptyers.
All that first class jet-set brings me down, down down,
All that first class drug shit brings me down...

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2010, 06:53:01 PM »
Hope everyone has a safe drive that is making the long haul!
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

VegasCrackerman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "so much depends on the weather"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 07:29:34 PM »
VC back in KC!

Just had some Famous Daves BBQ - keeping my fingers crossed for an unforgettable night of STP!
2016 Concerts:
6/3 Vanilla Ice
6/8 The Cure
6/25 Public Enemy

JohnL

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Light My Way
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2010, 08:11:34 PM »
I'll be leaving for the show in an hour or two. If anybody wants to meet up at the flying saucer for a few beers pm me.

VegasCrackerman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "so much depends on the weather"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 08:39:34 PM »
Quote from: "johnlatham"
I'll be leaving for the show in an hour or two. If anybody wants to meet up at the flying saucer for a few beers pm me.

I'll be hangin' at the "Indie Bar" - attached to the Midland Theater - around 5pm
2016 Concerts:
6/3 Vanilla Ice
6/8 The Cure
6/25 Public Enemy

Eighth Caged Tiger

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2010, 08:49:36 AM »
Scott Weiland in a nutshell - infuriate a crowd by making them wait an hour after the end of the second opening act, then have them eating out of your palm by the end of your first song.

AMAZING show - Scott was on fire and fantastic, and the DeLeos and Eric are at the peak of their powers.  It actually lived up to 16 years worth of hype and anticipation, which I wasn't sure was possible.  Our own Vegas Crackerman got called upon to do the intro to Dead & Bloated, causing me to cheer and start laughing, which of course caused everyone around me to ask "Who is that guy?!"

The hour wait was a killer on my feet, but that SOB made it worth every minute by the time Vaseline was over.

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 01:39:04 PM »
VC Thats awesome i want details!!

Are you surprised you had to wait an hour between opening band and STP that is standard procedure =)
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 03:16:43 PM »
^^ down- Sorry, I didn't see your post before I left.  I would've loved to meet up with you and Andrew, sorry I missed it.   :(   I hope you guys had a great time.

I'm pretty sure the set was the same as the LA and OK shows: Vasoline; Crackerman; Wicked Garden; Hollywood Bitch; Between the Lines; Hickory Dichotomy; Big Empty; Sour Girl; Creep; Plush; Interstate Love Song; Bagman; Huckleberry Crumble; Sex Type Thing; Dead and Bloated; Lounge Fly; Piece of Pie; Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart.

The band didn't go on until 10:20 (about an hour after the opener finished).  At one point around 10:00, I saw Rob peek out from backstage, shrug a little, and go back.  I got worried at that point.  Not long after that, the crowd went sour.  The crowd had been chanting "STP, STP!" for a while, and the long wait was finally pissing them off.  The crowd started booing and then started chanting "What the F*ck?!, What the F*ck?!".  I thought we were going to have another 2008 New Jersey incident.  Once STP came out, the crowd seemed to forgive them.  I noticed Scott and Dean immediately hugged on stage.  I figured Scott wouldn't come on stage and that resulted in him and Dean having a spat (but that's pure speculation on my part).  Scott apologized to the crowd a couple of songs into the set.

Once the show got going, the band performed like no incident ever happened, the on-stage chemistry seemed fine.  The guys sounded good, however I thought Weiland was drunk and sounded a little sloppy at times.  Overall, he still had it together and put on a great show.  The only song that got completely butchered was LoungeFly.  I guess the crew didn't hook up Rob's acoustic-stand guitar properly, and it didn't work when they came to that part right before the solo.  They stopped the song momentarily to try and fix it, but eventually went on without it.  After that, Scott didn't come in on the final chorus at the right time and the rest of the song was completely lost.  This was my 7th time seeing STP live since '94-  I can't say it was the best performance I've seen them put on,  but not the worst either.  Maybe I've just gotten overly critical after seeing so many of their shows, it's tough to say..

All of the new songs sounded great, and Scott was pretty chatty between songs.  The highlight of the show was by far Vegas Crackerman taking the stage to kick off Dead and Bloated.  As jealous as I am, you totally deserved that honor, dude.  You've trekked to a lot of shows!  What a classy move by STP.  Seriously, that would be an absolute dream come true.  It's great the band recognized one of it's most devoted fans.  VC took the megaphone and nailed the opener.  I can't even fathom how incredible and surreal that experience must have been.

VC- you are the envy of everyone on this board.  Way to go, man!!   :D
Sin make me strong.

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 03:17:32 PM »
Sorry, had a screwy double post incident...

Anyway, I need to endorse 5 Hour Energy.  As cheesey as those commercials are, that shit works!  I normally don't take crap like that, but it got me home safe.. I pulled in at 4am.  The funny thing is, I took that crap right after the show at midnight, had a 4 hour drive, and then couldn't go to sleep for an hour after I got home!  I didn't realize the 5 hour window was so literal...   ;D
Sin make me strong.

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2010, 04:26:19 PM »
Why?? Why can't they start a show on time? Why does there always have to be some drama. This is the kind of shit that will break the band up again. Can't we just have smooth sailing for once.

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »
Quote from: "kshamrock20"
Why?? Why can't they start a show on time? Why does there always have to be some drama. This is the kind of shit that will break the band up again. Can't we just have smooth sailing for once.

I'm not saying I know what went on but anyone who doesn't think Scott was the reason they went on late has blinders on.  I was at the PNC fiasco and Scott was wasted out of his mind.  They were all noticeably annoyed with him and it ruined my night man.  They just don't seem llike they used to.  

love when people on this board are like everyone stop blaming Scott and his addictions for everything.  Sure because he's clean and sober and the band has never been better and they are all best buds.   ::)

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2010, 04:46:57 PM »
This is a downer. This fucking tour is not even a week old and this shit is happening. Come on man!!

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2010, 04:56:57 PM »
As much as it will pain all of you... Scott the rockstar is an asshole and THIS is why there are all these issues a few shows into a tour in support of a new album.
Take it.

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2010, 05:23:40 PM »
Quote from: "Stpilots98"
Quote from: "kshamrock20"

I'm not saying I know what went on but anyone who doesn't think Scott was the reason they went on late has blinders on.  I was at the PNC fiasco and Scott was wasted out of his mind.  They were all noticeably annoyed with him and it ruined my night man.  They just don't seem llike they used to.  

love when people on this board are like everyone stop blaming Scott and his addictions for everything.  Sure because he's clean and sober and the band has never been better and they are all best buds.   ::)

I agree.  Scott seemed pretty drunk / wasted, even though he ultimately held up his end of the performance pretty well.  When Robert peeked out from backstage, he looked annoyed.  You know the rest of the band was ready to go on time.  I did not join in on the booing and the WTF chants, but I couldn't blame the crowd for reacting that way.  I was just glad to see Scott and Dean hug the instant they went on stage.  They got on with the show and it didn't seem like the argument carried over into the performance.  I know that Scott has a tendancy to take his time when taking the stage, but this was the latest I've ever seen an STP/VR/Scott solo show start.  Us die hard fans may be more forgiving, but the vast majority of the audience is more of a casual fan.  Being that late was rude and it will leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouth.  There is no excuse for treating fans that pay good money to see a show in that manner.

It's not how you want to make a good impression and get people to check out your upcoming album...
Sin make me strong.

Eighth Caged Tiger

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »
I will say, when Rob popped up in the doorway, he looked more bemused than anything, and stuck his finger up saying "Just a minute.".  When they finally did come on stage, Dean was joking with Scott, and before Creep Rob was joking with Scott, so neither seemed upset with him, which I was watching for as a warning sign.  Scott was on fire last night, and did not strike me as under the influence (he was working the rail and the sides of the stage pretty gracefully).  The screwup on Loungefly seemed to be purely technical, and threw everybody off, but they worked through it and it came off well.  My buddy Adam who has been in several bands and has been to a million concerts even commented on how well they had saved it.  Toward the end of it I think they were more concerned with jamming than holding to the album structure of the song.

The hour wait had me petrified Scott was gonna be all manner of screwed up, if he would even show up at all, but it turned out to be just Scott being Scott.  The crowd was pissed over the wait, but by the end of the second song, they had forgotten all about it.