September 06, 2024, 10:16:26 AM

Author Topic: Favorite singing voice  (Read 30427 times)

hurdygurdyman

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
I never knew who did "Sex Type Thing" until I finally got Core.  It didn't sound at all like the other songs of their's that got radio play.

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Quote from: "loungefly611"
Which is why I said minus Eddie. Most of the core of PJ (Stone, Mike, and Jeff) were part of MLB.

That's like saying Talk Show is STP.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Quote from: "SilvergunSuperman"

I never said MLB and PJ sounded like the same band. I just said that they had the same core guys minus Eddie.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

keith82

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
For the record, Mike was not in MLB. Maybe you're thinking of Temple of the Dog?

But I do agree that Pearl Jam and STP need not be compared at this stage in their careers. I am a bigger PJ fan, but also love STP for entirely different reasons (different musical qualities).

I used to know this guy who claimed to be around around during the making of Core who said Brendan O'Brien specifically gave Scott copies of Ten and Nevermind as a model of what the band should go for. That's fairly common for a producer to do, especially for a new band. I have no idea if the guy is for real (he didn't seem completely off the wall) but it is a plausible story. Scott's vocal evolution does coincide with it. While his vocals are deeper than anything after, I would only consider Plush as a potential Vedder sound-a-like.

By Tiny Music or even Purple the two bands had gone in two completely wonderful directions. Both went on to make greater music than their debut albums. It's all good.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Quote from: "keith82"
For the record, Mike was not in MLB. Maybe you're thinking of Temple of the Dog?

Yeah, you're right. My apologies.

So who was in MLB then from the current PJ line-up? Stone and Jeff?
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

keith82

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Quote from: "loungefly611"
Yeah, you're right. My apologies.

So who was in MLB then from the current PJ line-up? Stone and Jeff?

Yep, just Stone and Jeff. By the end of MLB, Stone and Jeff were seen as a bit of an institution, surviving the dissolving Green River (with Mark and Steve from Mudhoney) and now MLB. When PJ was started up, it was seen a little bit by some as MLB with a different singer, even though Mike and Dave Krusen were new members as well.
I picked up a used cassette copy of Ten a couple years ago and it has a sicker that says "featuring members of Mother Love Bone" or something to that effect.

crackerdude

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
If i didn't know who Mother Love Bone were I'd say, Omg they were apart of Major league Baseball!

cubsof89

• Cubsof89
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • check me out on the book of faces

Nicely put.
If you give a man a fire, you keep him warm for a night. But if you SET a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

keith82

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Quote from: "crackerdude"
If i didn't know who Mother Love Bone were I'd say, Omg they were apart of Major league Baseball!

And Scott, Kretz, and the DeLeos worked for a gas and oil additive company.

Getinrowdy3

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Vocal style change from 94-96, and how it is reflected on the albums
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2008, 09:13:57 PM »
Scott’s vocal progression has gone through many stages and styles.  In Core, Scott’s voice was deep, and he exhibited what I would term more of a growling style.  As STP began to progress, so did his vocal style.  You can hear the progression that took place from Spring/Summer of 92(when Core was recorded) to Summer/Fall of 93 in the re-recording of Creep.  The original version is very raw, and in the re-recording, Scott utilizes inflection in his deep voice that would be the staple of Purple.  Even though Purple and Core were similar in vocal style, (Scott was still using his deep voice), there was a more refined quality to it.  It was a fuller, baritone, and seemed to be effortlessly gentle. (Think the STP unplugged in 93 voice). 

However, Scotts voice began to change from summer of 94, up until spring/summer of 95.  I think this has to do with the strain he put on his vocal chords with all the touring that they had done from 92-94.  If you listen to the “Unglued” version STP played in December of 94 on letterman, his voice is a lot more horse, and it resembles what we would hear on Tiny Music, and on the two Magnificent Bastard records.  I don’t know if drug abuse had anything to do with the change in his vocals (I’m not a doctor), but we hear a much different Scott Weiland in 95/96 than we do in 93/94. 

I am not saying that he couldn’t hit the low notes, or exude the deep baritone that was his signature from 92-94, b/c on No. 4, he achieves that deep baritone sound on songs like “Down,” parts of “No Way Out,” parts of “Pruno” (obviously not on the chorus of the last two songs).  But with Tiny Music, his voice is much different.  I think part of this is stylistic choice, but I also think his voice was somewhat ravaged.  Listen to “Mockingbird Girl,” “Big Bang Baby,” “Art School Girl.”  Scott’s voice is incredibly raspy, and the deep baritone has vanished.  However, in its place, is more range than he ever showed before, and an elusive ability to hit the high notes. 

I think Tiny Music was the changing point in his vocal style.  Even though on No. 4 and Shangri La, there is no raspy voice, the way he sang on “Lady Picture Show,” I would say, accurately represents his vocal style ever since, for the most part.  He still can hit that low baritone, like on “Dumb Love,” “All In the Suit That You Wear” and on those songs from Core and Purple during the live shows.  But now, his range is higher, and at times more sharp and pointed (not tune-wise, but sound wise) like on the chorus of “All in the Suit,” the chorus of “No Way Out,” and also the chorus of VR’s “Fall to Pieces.”

Anybody else noticed this change from 94 to 95/96 in vocal style and Scott’s voice in general?  I know this topic has been discussed, but I feel this can be more poignant. 

MAZZA26

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Vocal style change from 94-96, and how it is reflected on the albums
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2008, 03:06:36 AM »
Hey - this is a great post - and partly why I admire Weiland and STP!!

Scott's vocal sound has radically changed from core to...... well modern times.....
Core - I have a feeling he was almost "Putting it on" - certain songs sound very raspy - creep is cobainesque, yet plush is vedderesque.  Of course I'm not suggesting he copied these guys - lets face it whilst they were recording the album in 1991 little did they know how big vedder and cobain would be.

Purple - excellent vocals - from the country-esque "interstate" to the punky singalong of "Unglued" right through to one of my favourite stp songs -kitchenware...............vocally absolutely fantastic!!!

Tiny - definetely drug-orientated.........look at the credits - he records the vocals at various studios - and footage during this period suggests he wasn't all with it at all (plus various accounts from the deleos bros suggesting they should have taken a break at this point) however the performances I feel are fittingly perfect - raspy, almost Liam gallagheresque in pops love suicide - with a touch of lennon, towards the latter slower numbers.  I love that album, musically for the raw energy and guitar work, right through the vocal-style (seven caged tigers - brilliant!!)

Number 4 - A lot more production and floss on this one - he is nearer to what he sounded like during velvet revolver - funnily enough I got into the band when hearing sour girl - I thought it sounded like a Julian Lennon vocal with loads of reverb -excellent, along with down, psychadelic tracks like glide, and the poppyesque church on tuesday - weiland is on fire.

SLLD - Not my favourite STP album - I actually feel this is the least versatile from weiland..................it's still great, but it sets up his vocal style for velvet revolver perfectly.

I hope if they record a new album that weiland listens to tiny....and takes a little nod to that style of vocals.....

tatiana

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 11:43:31 AM »
a quick note about his vocals (and i don't tend to analyze as well as most people - nicely done both of you btw)

my husband cannot get over that the same person who is singing on core is the same person singing on the vr cds. doesn't understand how it is possible.

time has a tendency to change your voice if you don't tend to your vocal cords. smoking probably does not help. a persons' weight also contributes as does drug use.
Born free. Now I\\\'m Expensive.

Jason

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://jasonrutherford.com
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 01:49:01 PM »
Quote from: "tatiana"
time has a tendency to change your voice if you don't tend to your vocal cords. smoking probably does not help. a persons' weight also contributes as does drug use.

I think you nailed it.
Rest in Peace Mr. Weiland.

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2008, 01:57:16 PM »
Quote from: "Jason"
I think you nailed it.
Wow...I saw your signature and just about crapped myself!

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2008, 06:16:49 PM »
Wow...I saw your signature and just about crapped myself!

It's hysterical. 

Jason as in Jason Jason?  Our long-lost Jason?
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!