September 12, 2024, 06:15:34 AM

Author Topic: Favorite singing voice  (Read 30669 times)

Anonymous

Favorite singing voice
« on: July 13, 2006, 11:56:15 PM »
One quality that makes Scott unique is how he's able to switch between two singing voices. I think my favorite of the two is the voice he used from Tiny Music... up to Shangri-La Dee Da.

bunbury_hmr

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite singing voice
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 07:51:14 PM »
That list jumps around from album to album though.
How is one supposed to vote that way?

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 08:03:35 PM »
It's kinda hard, you have Core-Thank You, which would include all of STP's albums, then Contraband.  So basically everything Scott has done.  So i picked that one, cuz i like all of his voices.

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 05:56:37 PM »
Tiny Music.

Naked_SunDay

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 03:00:26 AM »
Core, Tiny Music, No. 4, Shangri...the one I didn't really like was his voice he used on Purple. Even though some of you might think its pretty much the same as Core, I dont think so. Sound similar but not quite the same. Maybe he should have used his singing voice from No. 4  for Purple. But hey! thats just me...

NovaAngel19

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 03:06:34 AM »
Scott sounded more powerful on 'Core' ... but i loved the raspy vocals of 'Tiny Music' ... so im picking 'Tiny Music', but i love them all :)

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 09:53:02 AM »
its not that he has different voices, he just uses a lot of different technique and style. the wide variation of style he uses is part of the reason hes such a great singer

White Knuckles

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
You guys might think this is crazy, but sometimes Core seems SOOO different to the rest of the stp albums to me that I feel like theres a different singer on that album.  Even when Scott sings those songs live, I feel like hes singing much higher than on the album... anyone else feel this way?

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I think it was a process of evolution - hardly anyone finds their true voice on a debut record. Also, there are less backing vox than on the later work.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:28:36 PM by Stop That Pigeon »

White Knuckles

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
true... I still think he sounds like a completely different person on that record

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Well with all the cigarettes and years of live performing, I think Weiland’s voice sounds more ‘raspy’ now than it did in 1992.  But hey, I still love it.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
At times I thought Scott intentionally made his voice deeper for those songs but I'm not sure now. It might have just been a progression. I definitely prefer his voice for everything Purple and later.

morcegohoman

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Without question, it is different. I've always felt that way. I had to get used to the first three albums as if they were different bands.

In my opinion they were young and looking for their big break so they conformed to the music scene of the day, which is probably why they were initially called pearl Jam rip-offs.

They blow Pearl Jam away.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Quote from: "morcegohoman"
Without question, it is different. I've always felt that way. I had to get used to the first three albums as if they were different bands.

In my opinion they were young and looking for their big break so they conformed to the music scene of the day, which is probably why they were initially called pearl Jam rip-offs.

They blow Pearl Jam away.

Not a good comparison then, even worse comparison now. 

Pearl Jam is a great band that regularly demonstrates almost unrivaled passion for music, and furthermore their fans. 

Pearl Jam is a great American band. 

While I far prefer STP, I think in terms of business sense STP could learn from PJ. 

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Aaron"
Not a good comparison then, even worse comparison now. 

Pearl Jam is a great band that regularly demonstrates almost unrivaled passion for music, and furthermore their fans. 

Pearl Jam is a great American band. 

While I far prefer STP, I think in terms of business sense STP could learn from PJ. 
Abso-fucking-lutely. STP hasn't done much for the fans other than make great music.