September 18, 2024, 11:49:20 PM

Author Topic: Favorite singing voice  (Read 30924 times)

detomaso

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Scott`s voice
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2008, 02:38:54 AM »
For those of you who have seen him, how is he acting on stage? When I saw him live several years back, he was constantly prowling the stage and dancing and jumping around. Video clips from the past and others' opinions back that. The few reports this week I've read seem to suggest that his voice has been fine but that he has toned down his energy level a bit. He acts cool, but a bit mellower perhaps. Is that assessment accurate?

EclecticBohemian

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2008, 07:12:24 AM »
?Yes I would say so.  Give him a minute though, ya never know when he'll do a flip on ya.  ?
Know what I\'m thinking?  No?  Neither do I!  ;Þ

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
Quote from: "BrianLev"
"Coma" just ain't the same without him belting out "Don't stay!" at the top of his register.

really?  All the live versions I had heard (before this tour) he sounded horrible on that section.  He  sounded like he wanted to 'scream' but couldn't (see 2001 rolling rock as a prime example).  I much prefer how he sings it now.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2008, 05:50:17 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one who feels like that. He sounded like a little kid trying to sing that high part before.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2008, 05:51:20 PM »
Quote from: "Five Star Edge"
really?  All the live versions I had heard (before this tour) he sounded horrible on that section.  He  sounded like he wanted to 'scream' but couldn't (see 2001 rolling rock as a prime example).  I much prefer how he sings it now.

x2.  I was pleasantly surprised by the "change" - loved it at RoTR.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

bigemptysg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2008, 09:58:43 PM »
I was in the front of the pit for the Columbus show and thought he sounded awesome!

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2008, 10:49:30 PM »

In the Rolling Rock show he belted it out so loud that the sound equipment was overloaded, that's why he sounds so weak in the video.

From what I've heard on bootlegs he's been pretty good on some songs and amazing on others. I was a little disapointed by Kimmel but I think that it has as much to do with the audio guys messing up the mix so we could barely hear him over the guitar as it does to do with Weilands voice.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

remraf

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2008, 11:18:25 PM »
On the Columbus audience recording, Scott's voice sounds 'GOOD to stellar' to my ears...save for Big Bang Baby.  My theory is this - in VR, he constantly sang in a higher voice than he did with STP.  I think he's had to get used to singing in his STP register again, and is doing so quite nicely. 

For those using Kimmel as a reference, put that out of your mind.  His voice was consistently "on" at the Columbus show. 

stpfan77

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2008, 03:30:17 AM »
Quote from: "BrianLev"
I'm wondering if he's saving is voice and still in the recovery process and that's why he's singing certain melodies lower than usual. I kind of hope. I mean, it's better than him being horribly offkey (ala half of Kimmel) but "Coma" just ain't the same without him belting out "Don't stay!" at the top of his register. Same with "Big Bang Baby" at the higher parts.

Even though a few people clearly disagreed with you on the point about Coma, I am totally with you. It's a brute, powerful song - and to accentuate that, the high-pitched soaring scream on the "Don't STAY!" part should be sang higher, at least in my opinion, to fit in with the overall intended vibe of the song.

In the Rolling Rock performance, it does sound like he's straining just a tad during that scream part - but that's part of what is appealing about live rock and roll. It's not supposed to be polished, flawless and squeaky clean. That's what the studio version is for.

I'll gladly take Scott hitting the high notes, for the most part, but having a little bit of that rawness to it. I'm just not so sure he can hone and control that rawness now like he showed the ability to 6-7 years ago.

Let's put it this way - Scott screaming the Coma high note in RR 2001 was WAY better than Scott's Kimmel performance OR his abomination during the chorus of Big Bang Baby in Columbus this past weekend.
It\'s more or less the same old story
The princess and the whore the lady!

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2008, 04:19:54 AM »
Id have to agree that the song is missing something when he doesnt sing it as it was recorded, it seems that his confidence maybe a factor, even the clip a BINGBANGBABY i heard he was singing in a lower register ,, i dunno he id d his voice was strained so maybe he just preventing further damage

BrianLev

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2008, 07:43:54 PM »
Quote from: "stpfan77"
Even though a few people clearly disagreed with you on the point about Coma, I am totally with you. It's a brute, powerful song - and to accentuate that, the high-pitched soaring scream on the "Don't STAY!" part should be sang higher, at least in my opinion, to fit in with the overall intended vibe of the song.

In the Rolling Rock performance, it does sound like he's straining just a tad during that scream part - but that's part of what is appealing about live rock and roll. It's not supposed to be polished, flawless and squeaky clean. That's what the studio version is for.

I'll gladly take Scott hitting the high notes, for the most part, but having a little bit of that rawness to it. I'm just not so sure he can hone and control that rawness now like he showed the ability to 6-7 years ago.

Let's put it this way - Scott screaming the Coma high note in RR 2001 was WAY better than Scott's Kimmel performance OR his abomination during the chorus of Big Bang Baby in Columbus this past weekend.

Yeah, I mean I guess it's better that he's not wrecking his voice and that he's not singing offkey, but it loses some of its dynamic when the lift of the song is in fact a lower pitch than the verse.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2008, 07:53:32 PM »

How does he sing it now? I didn't think he sounded great when he did he screamed the 'don't stay' line to begin with.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2008, 09:15:36 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
How does he sing it now? I didn't think he sounded great when he did he screamed the 'don't stay' line to begin with.

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7e1-Kwjujk

It's a lot lower now
Grab the hate and drown it out...

crackerdude

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2008, 01:39:39 AM »
not as good but I still like it.

HerdJC

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2008, 01:43:12 AM »
I liked it.  Maybe not as much, but it still sounded good I thought.