September 16, 2024, 08:13:58 AM

Author Topic: Favorite singing voice  (Read 30835 times)

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Re: Vocal style change from 94-96, and how it is reflected on the albums
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2008, 07:12:16 PM »
Quite honestly, I really never saw that much of a change in his vocals. (Atleast compared to other bands)

I can see a change from the Core days compared to now, but not that drastic.

But then again, it could be me.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Jason

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://jasonrutherford.com
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2008, 03:52:29 AM »
Quote from: "SilvergunSuperman"
Wow...I saw your signature and just about crapped myself!

Yeah. I had to poke a little fun at my brain child.
Rest in Peace Mr. Weiland.

Jason

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://jasonrutherford.com
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2008, 03:54:22 AM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"
It's hysterical. 

Jason as in Jason Jason?  Our long-lost Jason?

I'm not sure if there was another Jason, but I think you're talking about me. Lurkin' since '98 baby, WOOHOO!
Rest in Peace Mr. Weiland.

wild_eyes

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2008, 08:17:07 PM »
That's what I love to...you can listen straight through from Core all the way through to the VR stuff and here such a change in his vocal styling. I personally love the change. I think he has such a great tone to his voice now and he sounds so diverse like he has really been able to master his craft.

pj88

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2008, 09:22:47 PM »
I thing his vocals on No. 4 can not be topped. I love listening to that album and hearing the rage of Heaven and Hotrods to the more subdued on Sour Girl.  If they put out a new album, I hope voally he could go back to this era. Just my opinion.

veeno

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
I think a lot of singer's voices sound fairly different from the first album onwards.  His voice just seems to be more raspy on Core than on a lot of the other stuff.  He seemed to be using his low register voice a lot in the beginning and gradually started using his higher register over the years.  It's just growth as a singer.

cubsof89

• Cubsof89
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • check me out on the book of faces
Or it could be that he was doing what the studio wanted to sell records back in 91/92. Then after some success they earned a little bit of freedom to do what they want and he returned to his high school choir boy roots.
If you give a man a fire, you keep him warm for a night. But if you SET a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I've never thought that it sounded any different, but I haven't listened to core in a few months soooooo....

-Chase

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Core is completely different then the 4 albums that followed it , its actually my least favorite. This band really developed beautifully.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

thewicke

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
he sounds grungier on that album, thats prolly a big reason they were saddled with ripping off the seattle scene

thewicke

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2008, 01:23:16 AM »
that has always been interesting and why a lot of time i listen to full albums at a time, just to see how different everything sounds...

AdhesivePilot

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2008, 11:02:49 PM »
of course i noticed that! His voice got more sofisticated, which doesnt mean necessarily better. thats like saying a genre is better than other. i mean, it would be boring if everybody tried to sing opera 'cause that means to be a better singer... I like scotts voice at core days and little later 'casue of its energy and presence, and also like his tiny music one, caus of the details changes he plays with along. Anybody whos read some of my posts knows that i love tiny music so.., for me thats the top point of his voice from the beggining, and from that spot in advance started to decay in my taste..as the music i guess. the fact that i loved in purple is him not trying to sound all the time like a 'man', if you know what i mean, but in tiny music took the style somewhere else to be smarter but still rebel, compelling and be able to drive the claws in everybody's neck when necesary XDD

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2008, 12:05:34 AM »
I would say his vocal character developed as the complexity of STP music unfolded , I hear more soul in the post core vocals.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

veeno

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2008, 01:03:12 AM »
Scott definitely grew melodically over the years.  Core is seems fairly bland compared to the vocals he did on the rest of the albums. 

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2008, 07:45:51 AM »
One thing,though...his vocal strength has diminshed through the years due to the drugs, age, and the chain smoking.Listen to the performance of Wicked Garden from 1993 on letterman...dude could project . He doesn't have the same power anymore. Honestly, I think he sounds better on the slower songs than he does on the heavier songs these days (SLDD bears that out), which is another reason why VR just didn't cut it for me.

There was such a huge, drastic change from Purple to Tiny Music, although you can hear a little bit of things to come on the songs that were recorded later on Purple (Still Remains is a good example, with the "If you should die before me" part sounding very much like  TM).  His voice was in better shape for the most part on No.4. I love SLDD, but honestly he sounded nothing like the old Weiland at all. The vibrato was completely gone, and his voice had morphed into more a of a high-pitch whine. That said, his vocals on "Wonderful" and "Hello It's Late" for example had a tenderness that to my ears was endearing. Then to hear that screechy bullsh*t with VR...nope. That was the wrong kind of rock for him to be singing, IMHO, apart from a few gems like "Slither" and "Fall to Pieces". He was better than that crap (don't even get me started on the track that ripped off "Unglued").

It'll be interesting to see what the new STP disc will sound like. Listening to AoA (which I liked, regardless of how others felt) and a good deal of SLDD leads me to believe that the DeLeos are moving to a softer sound, but Weiland's detour with the GNR leftovers were a different matter entirely. God, I'm excited to see (or rather, hear ) what's on the way.

Sorry that was so long winded. Just been watching the Thank You DVD, and am just hyped.