September 16, 2024, 08:17:47 AM

Author Topic: Favorite singing voice  (Read 30836 times)

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite singing voice
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2010, 02:57:59 PM »
Really I think all of his singing voices sound cool, but my definite favorite would be the Tiny Music vocals.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:00:00 PM by Violet Skies »
Water summons wind...wind makes fire dance...

robschmidt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 16, 2010, 03:30:31 PM »
I love his grungy voice the most- Wicked Garden is the best example of that for me. The way he sounds on the new album is great too. My friends always said the reason they loved Scott is because he is able to change his voice so much (whether voluntarily or not). He can go from singing Sour Girl to Sex Type thing at a show and they both are awesome. On the upcoming tour, I'd love to hear Cinnamon and compare that with Sin/Wicked Garden. My least favorite vocal era was probably No.4. IMO his voice on the album was fuzzy/too heavy (i.e. Heaven and Hot Rods, Pruno)- not bad in the least bit though, just my least favorite.
--Rob--

jjbsn5192

• Pilot
  • 7 Caged Tigers
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Era of Scoot's Vocals??
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2010, 08:45:11 PM »
core by far. purple was sick too but its hard to find anyone that could put out vocals (live and recorded) like weiland did in the core era. the letterman version of wicked graden in '93 is absolutely fucking priceless. that only comes as a gift, and i believe that he got away from his originality in tiny music and sldd when the heroin took over and he became a different person

i agree with CORE

he was the heaviest and best he had ever been in that album
" I have to return some video tapes "

jjbsn5192

• Pilot
  • 7 Caged Tigers
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Era of Scoot's Vocals??
« Reply #198 on: July 31, 2010, 02:42:11 AM »
Quote from: VelvetLounngeFly
Quote from: tumbleintherough
its hard to say for me since i love everything from stp, they are my fav band but i would have to say on the N4 record scott and the band sound so live and vocally his range is just incredible atlanta was actually just a demo and they ended up lovin the vocals so much they kept it, but my favorite album is still Tiny music its just so differnt from everything else and a complete masterpiece and underated

I think also what happened was that during N.4 his range got wider so he focused on that rather than the techniques he had during Core and Purple. I think that's where his voice started going down hill by singing all these high ass fuckin chorus on most songs, i mean if you watch Unplugged he doesn't have the widest range but he could use his voice like gold.

I assure you Scott's technique only got better during No. 4. If you keep up with the gravely voice (like he had during core/purple) you're gonna damage your vocal chords. In No 4. he went straight too a classical singing technique (falsetto included), so I doubt going for to much range damaged his voice. Had he not smoked or done drugs his voice now would be more or less just as it was in '99.

If you listen to his voice, you'll notice it's more nasally than it was before. That's far more indicitave of tobacco/cocaine damaging the airways than a damage to his vocal chords. If he had damaged his vocal chords by singing wrong he would have lost his voice and would have to resort to speak singing ala Springsteen.

People go on about how much "worse" Scott's voice is, but it could be a hell of a lot worse. Sure it's a little lower and gravely, but he can still hit a shit load of notes... He's really only lost his falsetto. Imagine him not being able to sing at all.

Honestly you are exactly right!
we would all get tired of hearing the same CORE voice.. wouldn't we? i mean Core is by far my favorite voice. but i also love each album individuality due to each difference and them being as creative as they are..

thats one thing about sTp they arnt afraid to be experimental any good band.. or any band that thinks they are good should try and be creative..
do different things with the aspects and beauty of music
dont stay cupped in a corner expecting to ever get any where..

imagine every song sounding like a core track..

what about the greats like
" And so i Know" , or " Cinnamon" that came out of being creative

in terms of my own preference i would have to say Core but. i love each album equally the same and thats a hard thing to come by and say now days.. with most bands not having the same success that sTp keep to the root of the soul and essence of the music they make and create..

" I have to return some video tapes "

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2010, 02:55:16 AM »
Maybe one day we'll get to see him perform NOT totally shit-faced so he can show what control he still has over his voice instrument....  Cuz I gotta tell you - even in the shows where he sounds great onstage - he doesn't hold a candle to the control he had even back during 2000.  He picked up too many bad habits with Velvet Revolver and I think damaged his voice-probably irreperably- screaming over that nonsense.

Yeah I think the screaming did a shedload of damage as well.  I just don't think that VR was totally beneficial for him in hindsight
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun

Deeze

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2010, 12:42:19 PM »

Now, its like his vocals are in recovery mode. They sort of have that deep growl, but its pretty much gone. That perfect harmony in his poppier songs is still sort of there, but somewhat gone as well. I hope its just because of all the touring he's done lately (Went straight from solid VR touring into Happy in Galoshes touring into STP touring and hasnt really stopped.). And i hope his pipes can recover. But if not, it seems like his vocals are definitely past their prime.

I couldn't agree more.  His voice was forced on VR.  Four years touring, singing at the top of his range on every chorus on every song - shouting to be heard over 3 guitarists and a hack bass player...  Not good.  He seems to not only have lost some of his precision control over his singing, but a bit of his melodic sensibility as well.  He seems to be slowly coming out of it as time goes on, but now he's constantly wasted on Scotch or whatever.  Sigh.

Dude, there's no need to be soo negative on VR. I think they made some VERY cool tunes, and Scott only screamed in two or three of their songs when live. Libertad is extremely low on the screaming too.
AND I THINK I THINK TOO MUCH...

Deeze

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2010, 12:49:41 PM »
I think people should really focus on the positives of Scott's singing. It really shits me when everyone rags on him, when they DEFINITELY have not walked in his shoes.

Maintaining a voice like his takes a LOT of dedication every day; Low dairy, hydration, room temp, warm up's and abstaining from vices that everyone indulges in everyday eg: Drugs, Alcohol and Cigarettes.

If it helps him perform better, who are we to say whether he should or shouldn't have a break?

Just my opinion though...
AND I THINK I THINK TOO MUCH...

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2010, 04:11:53 PM »
You can hear Scott at his top vocally id say in No.4 ... even though id like more contraband! but its waay over produced :(
Seems like you left me when you broke down

dnabomb

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2010, 05:01:02 PM »
I think all of Scott's singing sounds good (except some of Galoshes) You guys are too hard on him. Maybe because I haven't seen him on this tour. In the live video I have seen (Jimmy Kimmel etc.) He seems to resort to the low Bowie vibrato where he used to power through, he is probably saving his voice so he can keep touring(where they make the real money)
Alot of people want him to keep singing the "Core" voice, but maybe that was the forced voice and this is his natural voice. Or maybe he wanted to get away from the cliche MAN VOICE (read Creed voice)
He is by far my favorite singer up there with John Lennon and Paul Rodgers (who still sings as well as he did when he was 20)   

Meat Plow

• Arrival
  • Pick a song and sing a yellow nectarine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 01, 2010, 09:07:04 PM »
Hi all!  This is my first post on "BelowEmpty".

One of the things I love about Scott is his versatility.
David Bowie was once called "The Chameleon" because of his ever-changing stage persona.
But I think Scott Weiland is a VOCAL chameleon. Over the course of his career, and in many cases per album,  he has sounded like John Lennon, David Bowie (especially on STP's latest), Jim Morrison, Pat DiNizio (Smithereens),  Richard Butler (Psychedelic Furs),  Brian Wilson,  David Gates,  and of course his own unique voice.
If I had a feminine side, I'd play with it all day.