September 18, 2024, 11:30:03 PM

Author Topic: Favorite singing voice  (Read 30921 times)

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Era of Scoot's Vocals??
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2010, 04:16:04 AM »
actually scott did use a lot of cool falsettos and stuff on purple big empty is a great example however in my opinion i dont think scott ever lost his voice i seen him live last year and he was perfect he hit everything perfect, plus i was right in the very front row in front of him so i heard him very clear, the mans a lengend and i think he deserves to be in the top 5 best frontman list ever!

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2010, 04:27:45 AM »
I think Scott's best vocals were on the albums No. 4 and Libertad.  Can't really choose between the two.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 09, 2010, 04:28:52 AM »
I CAN'T GIVE HER WHAT I TAKE AWAY AND THE OTHER UNDERSTANDDDDDDDDS!
Bleeda blooda

powernoize

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2010, 07:33:32 PM »
My fav vocals would have to be from the Tiny Music era. Scott's vocals on that cd sound very unique.

unglued24

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 02, 2010, 10:35:47 PM »
Quote from: "powernoize"
My fav vocals would have to be from the Tiny Music era. Scott's vocals on that cd sound very unique.

I completely agree, he really opened things up on Tiny Music. He also perfected the John Lennon-esque sneer on Pop Love Suicide and Big Bang Baby. I think he needs to have that balance between the rough grunge style and the sweet pop style. He did a great job of achieving this balance on Contraband.
"What is the truth? What is reality? Your truth, your knowledge, that becomes your truth, becomes the reality...figure it out for yourself..." Scott Weiland

Bugaha

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 02, 2010, 11:00:45 PM »
I think the vocal style that he uses in No. 4 have been the same up-to-date. I think he has settled with the "trained" singing style incorporating vibrato and a bit of falsetto at times. I dig this better than any style that he has done prior. I think that it would be really cool if he re-recorded Tiny Music with the vocals that he uses now.

Shannon

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • I knew the questions but I lost the answers...
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 02, 2010, 11:50:57 PM »
Honestly, thats a tough decision. I hate to put it this way, but pretty much, any era but now.

I LOVED his deep growling voice of the Core era. Hearing bootlegs of those shows gives me chills. Especially that deep growl behind "I am smellin like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed". Crazy good.

I LOVED his smoother yet still powerful vocals of the Purple era. It rocked hard when it needed to, but was deep and melodic when it needed to be either. It was a perfect combination of his harder and softer voices.

I LOVED the Tiny Music/No. 4/Shangri Era. His voice took on that poppier sound (Lady Picture Show, Glide, Wonderful), but it still could get heavy when it needed to (I.E, Trippin on a hole, Down, Coma,). He started to overall lean more towards the poppy stuff during this time, but it didnt bother me a bit, because he was great at it.

I LOVED the Velvet revolver era. His vocals pretty much had a "All-in-one" package during this time. He had the heavy growl of his Core work in certain songs, the poppier voice of his Tiny music work during certain songs, and he was able to make it all work at once. It was like a perfect showcase for his vocals.

Now, its like his vocals are in recovery mode. They sort of have that deep growl, but its pretty much gone. That perfect harmony in his poppier songs is still sort of there, but somewhat gone as well. I hope its just because of all the touring he's done lately (Went straight from solid VR touring into Happy in Galoshes touring into STP touring and hasnt really stopped.). And i hope his pipes can recover. But if not, it seems like his vocals are definitely past their prime.
Favorite STP songs at the moment: Hazey Daze, Fast as I Can, I Got You, Pruno

Joosman

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 03, 2010, 12:59:00 AM »
This is a great topic, and has been running forever it looks like!  The voice I prefer the most is Weiland's 'western' voice.  I don't think it's quite country hence calling it western.  He uses this voice on songs like Interstate Love Song and The Last Fight.  Just deep enough, and just enough twang.
With all I've said and all that's dead for you.

unglued24

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 03, 2010, 03:15:17 AM »
Quote from: "Joosman"
This is a great topic, and has been running forever it looks like!  The voice I prefer the most is Weiland's 'western' voice.  I don't think it's quite country hence calling it western.  He uses this voice on songs like Interstate Love Song and The Last Fight.  Just deep enough, and just enough twang.

Haha I know what you are referring to, he uses it quite a bit on Happy in Galoshes (The Man I Didn't Know). Weiland did sign that country artist to SoftDrive Records, I believe some part of him wants to be a country star.
"What is the truth? What is reality? Your truth, your knowledge, that becomes your truth, becomes the reality...figure it out for yourself..." Scott Weiland

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
Re: Vocal style change from 94-96, and how it is reflected o
« Reply #189 on: June 03, 2010, 06:17:39 AM »
Quote from: "Fear 2 Stop"
One thing,though...his vocal strength has diminshed through the years due to the drugs, age, and the chain smoking.Listen to the performance of Wicked Garden from 1993 on letterman...dude could project . He doesn't have the same power anymore. Honestly, I think he sounds better on the slower songs than he does on the heavier songs these days (SLDD bears that out), which is another reason why VR just didn't cut it for me.

There was such a huge, drastic change from Purple to Tiny Music, although you can hear a little bit of things to come on the songs that were recorded later on Purple (Still Remains is a good example, with the "If you should die before me" part sounding very much like  TM).  His voice was in better shape for the most part on No.4. I love SLDD, but honestly he sounded nothing like the old Weiland at all. The vibrato was completely gone, and his voice had morphed into more a of a high-pitch whine. That said, his vocals on "Wonderful" and "Hello It's Late" for example had a tenderness that to my ears was endearing. Then to hear that screechy bullsh*t with VR...nope. That was the wrong kind of rock for him to be singing, IMHO, apart from a few gems like "Slither" and "Fall to Pieces". He was better than that crap (don't even get me started on the track that ripped off "Unglued").

It'll be interesting to see what the new STP disc will sound like. Listening to AoA (which I liked, regardless of how others felt) and a good deal of SLDD leads me to believe that the DeLeos are moving to a softer sound, but Weiland's detour with the GNR leftovers were a different matter entirely. God, I'm excited to see (or rather, hear ) what's on the way.

Sorry that was so long winded. Just been watching the Thank You DVD, and am just hyped.

I quoted a post I made two years ago. Think I was pretty spot-on...

timryanokane

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite singing voice
« Reply #190 on: June 29, 2010, 04:02:37 PM »
Maybe one day we'll get to see him perform NOT totally shit-faced so he can show what control he still has over his voice instrument....  Cuz I gotta tell you - even in the shows where he sounds great onstage - he doesn't hold a candle to the control he had even back during 2000.  He picked up too many bad habits with Velvet Revolver and I think damaged his voice-probably irreperably- screaming over that nonsense.

timryanokane

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 29, 2010, 04:08:30 PM »

Now, its like his vocals are in recovery mode. They sort of have that deep growl, but its pretty much gone. That perfect harmony in his poppier songs is still sort of there, but somewhat gone as well. I hope its just because of all the touring he's done lately (Went straight from solid VR touring into Happy in Galoshes touring into STP touring and hasnt really stopped.). And i hope his pipes can recover. But if not, it seems like his vocals are definitely past their prime.

I couldn't agree more.  His voice was forced on VR.  Four years touring, singing at the top of his range on every chorus on every song - shouting to be heard over 3 guitarists and a hack bass player...  Not good.  He seems to not only have lost some of his precision control over his singing, but a bit of his melodic sensibility as well.  He seems to be slowly coming out of it as time goes on, but now he's constantly wasted on Scotch or whatever.  Sigh.

AFH

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stonedatpompeii/
« Reply #192 on: June 29, 2010, 05:59:48 PM »

I couldn't agree more.  His voice was forced on VR.  Four years touring, singing at the top of his range on every chorus on every song - shouting to be heard over 3 guitarists and a hack bass player...  Not good.  He seems to not only have lost some of his precision control over his singing, but a bit of his melodic sensibility as well.  He seems to be slowly coming out of it as time goes on, but now he's constantly wasted on Scotch or whatever.  Sigh.

Being a singer myself, I know what you're talking about, but I don't think that he damaged his voice on VR, maybe he forced it a little bit. I think that he is making breathing mistakes, breathing is very important, some common troubles singers have can be related to breathing mistakes causing vocal fatigue and hoarseness and smoking doesn't help.

His singing on N.4 and SLDD era was awesome, he had totally breathing control, hitting high notes without yelling, he said that in that period used to run a lot and workout and maybe is because of that.
But I belive in him, Weiland is a monster singer, my favourite for sure
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 06:16:38 PM by AFH »

SourBeagle

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 30, 2010, 11:22:48 PM »
This is a great topic, and has been running forever it looks like!  The voice I prefer the most is Weiland's 'western' voice.  I don't think it's quite country hence calling it western.  He uses this voice on songs like Interstate Love Song and The Last Fight.  Just deep enough, and just enough twang.

I couldn't agree more, my favorite style of his by far!  One of the things I love about Scott's voice, and he is my favorite vocalist, is that he can sing on key; he is a gifted singer.  But, he can get a rough edge to it when he needs it, it's a controlled and effective "roughness."  Some singers are all "rock" and no pure technique, or vice versa.  Scott can combine the two, sometimes in one song (example being Big Empty), or even in a vocal phrase; he'll sing smoothly and then "dirty up" the last note of the phrase.
“The news reports said I’d torched $10,000 worth of Scott’s clothes, which was wrong by a factor of eight. He was somewhat insulted at their estimate: ‘Eighty thousand dollars, Mary,’ he said later.”

Deeze

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2010, 09:52:04 AM »
Quote from: Joosman
This is a great topic, and has been running forever it looks like!  The voice I prefer the most is Weiland's 'western' voice.  I don't think it's quite country hence calling it western.  He uses this voice on songs like Interstate Love Song and The Last Fight.  Just deep enough, and just enough twang.

Haha I know what you are referring to, he uses it quite a bit on Happy in Galoshes (The Man I Didn't Know). Weiland did sign that country artist to SoftDrive Records, I believe some part of him wants to be a country star.

I HATE Country Western music, but Scott sounds good doing it.
AND I THINK I THINK TOO MUCH...