September 18, 2024, 11:50:39 PM

Author Topic: Favorite singing voice  (Read 30926 times)

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Era of Scoot's Vocals??
« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2010, 08:18:53 PM »
Quote from: "Wingless Bird"
I really enjoy 12 Bar Blues, some of the songs on that album just give me the chills. That's the thing about Scott he has the fantastic ability to switch it up. I tend to get bord of bands simply because the lead singer lacks both range and depth in their voice. Personally I really love all of the styles of Weiland, as far as I am concerned he is one of the best vocalists of all time!!

The "I love you" part of "The Date" still gives me chills.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2010, 09:27:22 PM »
Quote from: "STP92"
I really enjoy 12 Bar Blues, some of the songs on that album just give me the chills. That's the thing about Scott he has the fantastic ability to switch it up. I tend to get bord of bands simply because the lead singer lacks both range and depth in their voice. Personally I really love all of the styles of Weiland, as far as I am concerned he is one of the best vocalists of all time!!

Me too! And that one crazy possessed-sounding scream he has in "Where's The Man" right before the last chorus. Anyone else noticed that?
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2010, 01:28:42 AM »
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
Quote from: "STP92"

Me too! And that one crazy possessed-sounding scream he has in "Where's The Man" right before the last chorus. Anyone else noticed that?

I DO! And it makes the song even more perfect (if it's possible).
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Wingless Bird

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2010, 01:39:49 AM »
wickedgarden23 wrote:
STP92 wrote:
Wingless Bird wrote:

I DO! And it makes the song even more perfect (if it's possible).

I KNOW!! That album is easily one of my all time favorites.

ps. I have no idea how to quote things properly  :-[

stpfan31

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 31, 2010, 05:47:42 PM »
I'd have to say his vocals are my favorite but vocals from the No.4 era are by far the best

HeavenandHotrods87

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2010, 04:45:05 AM »
Core/ Purple..but all of his vocals are amazing.

Divider

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2010, 03:49:10 PM »
Regarding live performances, I'd say Core era.. his performance on the MtV Unplugged is amazing.. while in the studio I'd say Purple/Tiny Music..

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2010, 08:08:08 PM »
its hard to say for me since i love everything from stp, they are my fav band but i would have to say on the N4 record scott and the band sound so live and vocally his range is just incredible atlanta was actually just a demo and they ended up lovin the vocals so much they kept it, but my favorite album is still Tiny music its just so differnt from everything else and a complete masterpiece and underated

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2010, 08:26:06 PM »
Quote from: "tumbleintherough"
its hard to say for me since i love everything from stp, they are my fav band but i would have to say on the N4 record scott and the band sound so live and vocally his range is just incredible atlanta was actually just a demo and they ended up lovin the vocals so much they kept it, but my favorite album is still Tiny music its just so differnt from everything else and a complete masterpiece and underated

I think also what happened was that during N.4 his range got wider so he focused on that rather than the techniques he had during Core and Purple. I think that's where his voice started going down hill by singing all these high ass fuckin chorus on most songs, i mean if you watch Unplugged he doesn't have the widest range but he could use his voice like gold.
If you only knew..

cwisely

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2010, 07:28:04 PM »
just watching their performances in 1993 Scott seems to have so much passion in his vocals. His dance moves are legendary as well lol
C Wise

bruno_animallover

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2010, 12:49:52 PM »
purple/shangri la
just because in purple he became himself, and let go of that grunge/vedder like singing that he did in core (but i love core and its vocals).
and in shangri la he is a mature singer!

but all his vocals are awesome!

silvergun88

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 27, 2010, 03:48:56 PM »
core by far. purple was sick too but its hard to find anyone that could put out vocals (live and recorded) like weiland did in the core era. the letterman version of wicked graden in '93 is absolutely fucking priceless. that only comes as a gift, and i believe that he got away from his originality in tiny music and sldd when the heroin took over and he became a different person

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 27, 2010, 05:08:33 PM »
Tiny Music and 12bb are my favorite Scott Vocals.  He becam more raspy.  His singing at the end of BBB "So turn it up and burn it there's a hole in your head a hole in your head......"   Love that voice!

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 27, 2010, 05:12:09 PM »
Quote from: "VelvetLounngeFly"

I think also what happened was that during N.4 his range got wider so he focused on that rather than the techniques he had during Core and Purple. I think that's where his voice started going down hill by singing all these high ass fuckin chorus on most songs, i mean if you watch Unplugged he doesn't have the widest range but he could use his voice like gold.

I assure you Scott's technique only got better during No. 4. If you keep up with the gravely voice (like he had during core/purple) you're gonna damage your vocal chords. In No 4. he went straight too a classical singing technique (falsetto included), so I doubt going for to much range damaged his voice. Had he not smoked or done drugs his voice now would be more or less just as it was in '99.

If you listen to his voice, you'll notice it's more nasally than it was before. That's far more indicitave of tobacco/cocaine damaging the airways than a damage to his vocal chords. If he had damaged his vocal chords by singing wrong he would have lost his voice and would have to resort to speak singing ala Springsteen.

People go on about how much "worse" Scott's voice is, but it could be a hell of a lot worse. Sure it's a little lower and gravely, but he can still hit a shit load of notes... He's really only lost his falsetto. Imagine him not being able to sing at all.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

zackrandal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2010, 03:36:17 AM »
Quote from: "Blue"
Quote from: "VelvetLounngeFly"

I assure you Scott's technique only got better during No. 4. If you keep up with the gravely voice (like he had during core/purple) you're gonna damage your vocal chords. In No 4. he went straight too a classical singing technique (falsetto included), so I doubt going for to much range damaged his voice. Had he not smoked or done drugs his voice now would be more or less just as it was in '99.

If you listen to his voice, you'll notice it's more nasally than it was before. That's far more indicitave of tobacco/cocaine damaging the airways than a damage to his vocal chords. If he had damaged his vocal chords by singing wrong he would have lost his voice and would have to resort to speak singing ala Springsteen.

People go on about how much "worse" Scott's voice is, but it could be a hell of a lot worse. Sure it's a little lower and gravely, but he can still hit a shit load of notes... He's really only lost his falsetto. Imagine him not being able to sing at all.

i agree his voice got tehcnically "better", as in more traditional and better techniques and all, but i happen to enjoy his core and purple voices a lot more. he couldnt or didnt sing falsetto or anything like that, but it was just as impressive and even more powerful to me back in those days. although his voice is always good, just that i prefer one era over the other.