September 19, 2024, 04:19:18 PM

Author Topic: Favorite singing voice  (Read 30963 times)

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Era of Scoot's Vocals??
« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2010, 08:56:38 PM »
I love the 'Core'/'Purple' vocals. I wouldn't mind him doing that vocal style on number 6.

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2010, 02:24:08 AM »
I loved how he used to sound on Contraband tours... 2005 a great year
Then SLDD and Purple.
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

nicolecary

• BabyGurl:)
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
  • "Don't judge a man till you've walked his path"
    • View Profile
    • My Main Place Of Contact:
« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2010, 10:00:34 AM »
I like his vocals on No.4......
~big*bang*baby~

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2010, 10:12:50 AM »
The best live stuff came from 2000 and 2002
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2010, 10:25:53 AM »
Everything except for Libertad and the poppy songs on Happy in Galoshes (Blister on Your Soul, Blind Confusion, etc.)

Overall favorite is 1992-2000.  He was amazing consistently throughout this period.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 24, 2010, 03:45:42 PM »
Although he has had his rough moments, Scott has been my favorite rock singer for years and that will probably never change. When it comes to actual albums, I think Scott's vocals are at their most powerful on Core but would give the "best all-around" award for his performance on Purple. And I see some comments bashing Libertad and once again, I'll stick up for it by saying I think his vocals on that album are amazing, and I guess very underrated. His vocals on Contraband can be pretty "eh" at times to me
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2010, 07:39:05 PM »
the reason why i dont dig his vocals on libertad is the same reason i hate about SLDD they are overproduced big time! they don't sound natural at all.
what i do like about the SLDD period was his voice live cuz 2002/2005 was the best he ever sounded in my opinion out of the 18 times i've seen him with STP. he sounded horrible during that libertad tour god knows what it would have sounded like if the band didn't tune down...

what i do agree with on libertad is songs like american man and stuff although they vocals are fixed up they do sound amazing i mean his voice sounds TOO amazing in that record to the point where its just too perfectly fixed on the studio....you really don't want that on a record. a song like dumb love which is one of my favorites on the record I love the fuckin vocals on that song but you can obviously tell that it was overproduced, another song is regeneration....amazing song  but its the same thing, if there's any live footage of the song from that time period you can just tell.
If you only knew..

zackrandal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 24, 2010, 08:15:23 PM »
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
Although he has had his rough moments, Scott has been my favorite rock singer for years and that will probably never change. When it comes to actual albums, I think Scott's vocals are at their most powerful on Core but would give the "best all-around" award for his performance on Purple. And I see some comments bashing Libertad and once again, I'll stick up for it by saying I think his vocals on that album are amazing, and I guess very underrated. His vocals on Contraband can be pretty "eh" at times to me

i agree, most powerful on core but he sounded a lot more unique on purple. and libertad wasnt really a terrible album, dont know why everyone hates it so much... compared to the other music of today i think it sounds excellent

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Era of Scott's Vocals??
« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2010, 08:17:55 PM »
I would definitely say Scott (lol Scoot) was on top of his game vocally during the No. 4 era live performance wise but as for album vocals I really dig Tiny Music and 12 Bar Blues era.

zackrandal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2010, 09:07:46 PM »
live, id actually say he was best in the core era as well. on the album he had a very distinctive voice but whenever they played the core songs in 1993 or before, he sounded just like he does on purple. and from what ive seen he was pretty consistent too, he didnt really fuck around with the vocals a lot back then. all in all 1993 was the best year for the band i think, other than "scoot" getting into heroin around that time

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2010, 09:33:52 PM »
no. 4 era by FAR.

I think the 99 Hob-Vegas show before scott got arrested again is the best live footage of the band, flawless performance.
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2010, 10:45:56 PM »
Quote from: "zackrandal"

i agree, most powerful on core but he sounded a lot more unique on purple. and libertad wasnt really a terrible album, dont know why everyone hates it so much... compared to the other music of today i think it sounds excellent
Yeah but when there are like 7 other superior Weiland albums to listen to there's no point in listening to it if you don't like it.  Libertad is cheesy as hell and overproduced imo.  The album sounds very uninspired to me.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2010, 02:12:24 AM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"

Yeah but when there are like 7 other superior Weiland albums to listen to there's no point in listening to it if you don't like it.  Libertad is cheesy as hell and overproduced imo.  The album sounds very uninspired to me.

Overproduced? fuck yea..uninspired..idk

see this is the beauty of it, you can't call the rest of the albums better cuz you can easily find someone who is more into the raunchy acdc/punkish type of rock and they would prefer Libertad over other STP records. The reason why Weiland and Bowie are my favorite singers in rock is because they have given us plenty to choose from. it's pretty tough to find a guy out there with Scott's discography. Libertad, Happy and the new STP are gonna become like sort of a trilogy for his career, if i listen to Libertad i play Happy right after it and it sort turns and becomes like some story and you can just hear and tell what he was gone through at the time....even the cheesy songs on Libertad explain his sexual frustration lol

Scott knows what he is doing and his current state of mind  relates to when Bowie moved to Germany..= Berlin Trilogy.

The coolest part of it all is that Happy was recorded since a while ago lol so you hear lots of changes with his voice.
If you only knew..

zackrandal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 25, 2010, 02:20:52 AM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"

yeah i know, i dont often listen to it but when i do, i enjoy it. overproduced? yeah absolutely, thats a big problem with any good or bad music that comes out these days. i dont know about uninspired, i think they have a bunch of great songs and scott definitely contributed a lot of creativity to it, and it doesnt sound as cliched to me as others say it is. still nowhere near as good as his work with stp, but still a pretty good album

Wingless Bird

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2010, 07:40:58 PM »
I really enjoy 12 Bar Blues, some of the songs on that album just give me the chills. That's the thing about Scott he has the fantastic ability to switch it up. I tend to get bord of bands simply because the lead singer lacks both range and depth in their voice. Personally I really love all of the styles of Weiland, as far as I am concerned he is one of the best vocalists of all time!!