September 16, 2024, 08:24:49 AM

Author Topic: Favorite singing voice  (Read 30837 times)

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Weren't STP together before Pearl Jam even formed? In that case, wouldn't that make the clone argument null and void?

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Quote from: "SilvergunSuperman"
Abso-fucking-lutely. STP hasn't done much for the fans other than make great music.

I am more partial to Pearl Jam for their live show alone. While Weiland is a fantastic stage performer, I prefer seeing PJ live hands down because they ALWAYS change up their setlist. It is never the same show. Besides their studio albums, they play B-sides and a ton of covers. I am very anal when it comes to a band changing up their setlist every night.

Now if STP starts changing up their setlist, I might have to reconsider.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Quote from: "VeiledTrickerySTP"
Weren't STP together before Pearl Jam even formed? In that case, wouldn't that make the clone argument null and void?

PJ played their first official show in 1990 when they were known as Mookie Blaylock. Prior to that, they were known as Mother Love Bone in the late 80s. (Minus Eddie Vedder)

morcegohoman

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Quote from: "loungefly611"
I am more partial to Pearl Jam for their live show alone. While Weiland is a fantastic stage performer, I prefer seeing PJ live hands down because they ALWAYS change up their setlist. It is never the same show. Besides their studio albums, they play B-sides and a ton of covers. I am very anal when it comes to a band changing up their setlist every night.

Now if STP starts changing up their setlist, I might have to reconsider.

Yeah, I hope they stop opening with Crackerman. The element of surprise is dead.

morcegohoman

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Aaron"
Not a good comparison then, even worse comparison now. 

Pearl Jam is a great band that regularly demonstrates almost unrivaled passion for music, and furthermore their fans. 

Pearl Jam is a great American band. 

While I far prefer STP, I think in terms of business sense STP could learn from PJ. 

I think Scott's problems have had a LOT to do with that.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
First off, I hope they never stop opening with Crackerman.  Ever.  I hope 200 years from now they are still opening with Crackerman.  I fucking love it.  To hell with surprise - a random reunion tour isn't surprise enough? 

Secondly, Weiland can totally still growl like that.  He has really grown as far as his music and vocals are concerned.  He wasn't nearly as experimental then.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
They opened with Loungefly the last time I saw them, and before that didn't they usually open with Shine On You Crazy Diamond on their Spring 2002 tour? They didn't open with Crackerman ALL the time. Besides, even if they did, it's a killer way to start the show.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Quote from: "STPGurl"
Weiland can totally still growl like that.  He has really grown as far as his music and vocals are concerned.  He wasn't nearly as experimental then.

Spot on.

They opened with Loungefly the last time I saw them

Same when I saw them in '01. Personally, I'd go with "Down" every time.

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
PJ played their first official show in 1990 when they were known as Mookie Blaylock. Prior to that, they were known as Mother Love Bone in the late 80s. (Minus Eddie Vedder)

Mother Love Bone was a completely different entity with some of the same members.

everylilwhore

Quote from: "STPGurl"
First off, I hope they never stop opening with Crackerman.  Ever.  I hope 200 years from now they are still opening with Crackerman.  I fucking love it.  To hell with surprise - a random reunion tour isn't surprise enough? 

Secondly, Weiland can totally still growl like that.  He has really grown as far as his music and vocals are concerned.  He wasn't nearly as experimental then.

I'm not sure 'growl' is necessarily the correct term here, but his vocals and melody writing have certainly improved. I don't think Scott can really sing nearly as deep as he once could. The only time he pulls it off these days is when his voice is altered in the studio, or it is a radio or TV performance where he can warm up his vocals and is only singing that one or two songs.

He hasn't been able to truly, 'growl' like he did on Purple and Core, for quite some time.

I am by no means complaining or saying this is a bad thing...as I absolutely LOVE his vocals on Tiny Music.

I also agree about Crackerman...but I also think that Heaven and Hotrods has the ability to do the same IN YOUR FACE way to start a show.

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Quote from: "everylilwhore"
I also agree about Crackerman...but I also think that Heaven and Hotrods has the ability to do the same IN YOUR FACE way to start a show.

I have noted before I would love Army Ants to open a show...that would rock. H&H would be a good one as well...in fact, I would just like to hear it live, even once.

As far as Weiland's voice, I agree that he probably can't go as deep as he once could, but he has said in interviews before that he likes to use his voice as an instrument, just like the other guys in the band have guitars, etc.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Quote from: "SilvergunSuperman"
Mother Love Bone was a completely different entity with some of the same members.

Which is why I said minus Eddie. Most of the core of PJ (Stone, Mike, and Jeff) were part of MLB.

Layne&Wasp

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
wow, its been like 2 years since i posted.  anyways, "All in the Suit that you Wear" definately sounds vocally like it could of come off of "Core".  Weiland's voice might sound now like it has evolved, but obviously with that track he has proven that his voice still can sound deep and mean.

with reguards to the whole PJ vs STP ripoff angle, just remember, "Sex Type Thing" can be traced back to the late 80's.  therefore, any sound STP had was allready in existance, it was the record companys that brought STP around late making them look like clones.

cubsof89

• Cubsof89
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • check me out on the book of faces
Not even joking, when I started to like STP obsessively around 1995-1996, I seriously wondered if there was some conspiracy where they changed lead singers but used the same name.

I seriously thought maybe the band got a completely new singer and covered it up as best they could, but anyways....

I think Weiland can still get that deep, I mean, check out the family value tours version of Wicked Garden. That says it all. I think he just prefers to go higher now. I think it's more natural for him.

I think that they were somewhat molded by the record studio to sound like they did on core because it was a guranteed hit, versus a risk, like their last 3 albums.

I also think that STP definately needs to do more for their fans. I love PJ alot, but STP way more.
But PJ has definately been better to their fans. Besides, Eddie Veddar is a fellow Cubs fan!
If you give a man a fire, you keep him warm for a night. But if you SET a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
Quote from: "everylilwhore"

I am by no means complaining or saying this is a bad thing...as I absolutely LOVE his vocals on Tiny Music.

See and I think the opposite, though I love Tiny Music I think Scott's vocals were strained.
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)