September 25, 2024, 03:24:40 PM

Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots Nearly Finished With New Album  (Read 10208 times)

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Stone Temple Pilots Nearly Finished With New Album
« on: December 15, 2009, 11:05:25 PM »
Thanks to Gravedancer

http://www.spinner.com/2009/12/15/stone ... new-album/

Scott Weiland has some good news for fans who've waited for seven years for new music from the reunited Stone Temple Pilots. "We're almost finished," he tells Spinner of the eagerly awaited Don Was-produced album. "There will probably be 11 songs on the record and we have nine completed already. Then you have to have B-sides for Japan, the UK and the rest of Europe, so we'll probably record 14 songs total."

The band apparently has found the same groove they brought to the reunion tour when getting back into the writing and recording. "It's always been easy. We have a method that we use and it's pretty basic," Weiland says. "For the most part, Robert and Dean [DeLeo] write the instrumental riffs and then amongst the three of us we arrange the songs and then I write all the melodies and the lyrics."

While Weiland wouldn't spill on any song titles yet, he is already looking ahead to playing the music live. "Yeah, there's a lot of songs that we're excited about because we just finished a long tour where we were playing the hits from all five records," he says. "It'll make it a lot more fun and gratifying because I know the fans love to hear the hits, but it's a more fun playing stuff you just wrote."

That's not to say the band hasn't been able to breathe some new life into the STP classics. "I think with 'Plush' I sing it a little more soulfully, it's got a little bit more of an R&B approach to the way I do the vocal than the initial recording," he says. "But songs evolve and the interpretations of the song evolve. 'Lounge Fly' has a feeling that's a little bit different, and that was on our second album, 'Purple.'"

Still, Weiland is sympathetic to the fact that people who come to hear the hits want to be able to recognize them, because that's how he feels as a fan. "Personally, when I go see a band play, I appreciate the artistic license to change arrangements up, but I think people still want to hear songs that are true to the way they sounded on the record," he says. "And you want it to sound good. When people change songs too much, it changes the feel and sometimes changes the emotion you get from the song. And so we don't really change things too much."
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: Stone Temple Pilots Nearly Finished With New Album
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:23:29 AM »
I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!  ;D

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 12:47:21 AM »
So stoked. I haven't been anticipating an album this much since the Nirvana box set came out in '05 or '04.

Those 4 guys make such good music together.
Bleeda blooda

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 01:05:42 AM »
HOLY SHIT THAT IS FUCKING AWESOME!!! I've had such a great day and this topped it off!
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 01:19:34 AM »
Played hits from all 5 albums?  Oh yeah, "Thank You"

Why does Europe and Japan get bonus trax?

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 02:29:02 AM »
can't wait, they sound busy

and i've heard about 10 seconds of one of the new songs!

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 02:33:38 AM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"

Same thought on the "five albums" comment...

And Europe and Japan always get B-sides. Usually it's a cover or a live track. Hopefully they'll have an iTunes bonus or something...
Grab the hate and drown it out...

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 02:46:20 AM »
Quote from: "Blue"

And Europe and Japan always get B-sides. Usually it's a cover or a live track. Hopefully they'll have an iTunes bonus or something...

I think their albums get bonus tracks as an incentive to buy them. CDs are usually more expensive internationally. Probably something to do with the licensing and distribution.

And they always get a bunch of different single releases, too. Not fair.
Bleeda blooda

OnlyDying

• Co-Pilot
  • "Purple Flowers Ease The Pain..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 03:45:31 AM »
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Adhesive Love"

Sledgehammers of Truth

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 05:17:39 AM »
hooray!

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 07:10:20 AM »
I can't believe it! A STP album almost cooked! sooooo excited!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Quote from: "andrew"
I think their albums get bonus tracks as an incentive to buy them. CDs are usually more expensive internationally. Probably something to do with the licensing and distribution.

Definitely not fair, specially when South America doesn't even get the records (sometimes)  :D

Here CDs are not much more expensive, a release is around $10 maybe $12, if I compare this price  with other things is cheap. Now if I have to import it, we have to talk about $35 or so... Europe and Japan are lucky.
Don't you find funny record labels are worried about their low sales, while there are people out there willing to buy  ???  

I don't know what's gonna happen around this release. The five STP albums were distributed here, Thank you wasn't (the DVD, it was the CD) let's see...
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 12:14:51 PM »
Quote from: "andrew"
Quote from: "Blue"

As far as STP go though, the UK or Europe has not had any original studio tracks that have not also been made available to the US market as well. In fact, and correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think STP have EVER released an original non-album studio track as a b-side anywhere. I'm not counting covers here, only original STP tracks. As far as unreleased original studio tracks go, there's the 5 outtakes, AITSTYW, and that's about it.

The comment puzzled me somewhat anyway as I seriously doubt STP will be doing any physical single releases, over here. That ship has sailed, nobody buys physically released rock singles anymore, people are only interested in what the latest reality show singing stars are up to. Even Pearl Jam have all but given up on them over here.

More likely as you say, they will be album bonus tracks, and I would bet the US will get whatever we do. And besides, you'll be able to get them one way or another anyway.

Silvergun132

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 01:35:04 PM »
Kick ass news!!!!  I'm hoping for a March (early April at the latest) release date.  Although I'm sure the album won't drop until May or some shit.  Oh well, just glad they're so close to being finished with a brand new album - can't wait to hear what they've come with.  The fact that they even mention bonus tracks right now is icing on the cake.  I really wish Pearl Jam would hurry up and release something extra from Backspacer, like that EP Mike McCready mentioned briefly a few months ago...

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 02:15:03 PM »
As far as unreleased original studio tracks go, there's the 5 outtakes, AITSTYW, and that's about it.

They re-recorded versions of Sex Type Thing and Plush for some of the Core releases, but yeah that is the closet they came to an actual b-side that is not a live track.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 02:29:12 PM by Five Star Edge »
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 02:28:12 PM »
I actually love that they release additional tracks with international releases.  It means we get to hear more great music, especially since STP doesn't release new material very often.  If it wasn't for itunes, I'm not sure if Scott would have released "I Know It's Too Late" and it would probably be sitting in a 'vault' with a bunch of other stuff.  I'm willing to pay more for some extra songs but, with the internet, the extra tracks will become available to everyone anyway regardless if you pay or not.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.