October 01, 2024, 10:31:05 AM

Author Topic: audio recordings of live shows...  (Read 5054 times)

bigemptycreep

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
audio recordings of live shows...
« on: December 11, 2009, 06:00:34 AM »
This seems like it could be the perfect thing for the band to be doing, which so many other already are. Offer the chance to purchase a recording of the concert you just saw or just missed. We've got members on this board from far away lands like Ukraine and Argentina, why not give them a chance if they might never be able to attend a live show to have a piece of one without getting a shitty bootleg.

Maybe they are available somewhere and I'm missing it. I also don't know the cost of producing vs the profits from selling and how many people would purchase the recordings, but it seems like it's a revenue stream that other bands are now tapping into. My cousin bought the recording from a Metallica show we saw in October and it was really good...we were listening to it on the drive to the STP Hamilton show.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: audio recordings of live shows...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 06:45:22 AM »
I would like to know the profitability of doing this as well. I know Pearl Jam and Linkin Park do it as well. IMO live recordings are so much more fun than studio versions.

For those bands that don't like recording/trading of their shows, I've always wanted to say to them, well maybe you should tape the shows, and sell them.

MrF33n3y

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 03:17:39 PM »
I like when bands do this, but I'd like to see them do it the same way The Who does; record and film every show, with all profits going to charity.

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 06:01:30 PM »
The main things is that STP may or may not record any of their performances which if so is a damn shame.
 Some of them are real gems eg.KoolHaus,Toronto.

MrF33n3y

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 07:35:54 PM »
Quote from: "hawk900"
The main things is that STP may or may not record any of their performances which if so is a damn shame.
 Some of them are real gems eg.KoolHaus,Toronto.
Typically when bands sell their live recordings, they'll hire a company to tour along with them and record. Although some bands do produce their own live recordings (Iron Maiden, and it's a shame all their shows are just sitting somewhere in a vault). I doubt STP record themselves just for the sake of it.

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 04:26:30 PM »
No but Scott hangs/knows  with some of the best audio doctors at his studio and maybe for sentimental reasons they record some or maybe all or none of the shows. eg bring eric garcia along...........there aint nothing hard about  hitting the record button on their mixer board after the sound check has been finalised.   Nowadays I thinks brought right to a hard drive all in seperate tracks or one big track after the final blend.
 H.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 10:47:18 PM »
I don't know about audio, but here's a snippet from an article with the lighting guy:

"It's all seamless. It all talks to each other, plus we film the show every night for archive. I just drop that into Apple DVD Studio Pro, and the band typically gets the previous night's show on DVD from hi-res camera literally 24 hours later."

http://www.belowempty.com/articles.php?s=story&id=232
Bleeda blooda

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 07:20:15 AM »
Quote from: "andrew"
I don't know about audio, but here's a snippet from an article with the lighting guy:

"It's all seamless. It all talks to each other, plus we film the show every night for archive. I just drop that into Apple DVD Studio Pro, and the band typically gets the previous night's show on DVD from hi-res camera literally 24 hours later."

wow! I read the article, there's a whole world behind the screens and I only watched Scott the whole damn show! sorry Bramall-Watson ;D

As for audio recordings, I guess most people wouldn't buy them "the exact same setlist over and over again", I don't know. Or because they may be expensive (like what happened with Scott solo audio recordings). For me, who I'm not able to attend to a show but collect as much as I can get and invest as much as it's allowed  :D , it'd be great! (if they were worldwide available, of course lol)
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

bigemptycreep

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 06:12:33 AM »
Quote from: "andrew"

This is what I'm talking about, why wouldn't they say, pick their favorite show or best shows from the last elg of the tour, make them available on the website and bingo, $24.99 get's you a high-res video of the show I guess if it's a static single view shot, ok, maybe not the best, but who knows, the audio is even easier, it's just audio.

The Metallica recording I listened to can play all the way through seamless, but it is broken into tracks if you want to skip some monologueing etc

felipeintheend

• Arrival
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lplive.net
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 05:15:56 PM »
It is not too much expensive to produce a, audio recording. I know one producer of audios who works for Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and other bands... It's easy...they just need to want to do it.
Felipe Mendes from the:
www.lplive.net[/url]
[url=http://www.linki

zackrandal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 02:10:26 AM »
Quote from: "bigemptycreep"
This seems like it could be the perfect thing for the band to be doing, which so many other already are. Offer the chance to purchase a recording of the concert you just saw or just missed. We've got members on this board from far away lands like Ukraine and Argentina, why not give them a chance if they might never be able to attend a live show to have a piece of one without getting a shitty bootleg.

Maybe they are available somewhere and I'm missing it. I also don't know the cost of producing vs the profits from selling and how many people would purchase the recordings, but it seems like it's a revenue stream that other bands are now tapping into. My cousin bought the recording from a Metallica show we saw in October and it was really good...we were listening to it on the drive to the STP Hamilton show.

i agree itd definitely be cool, i know pearl jam has released like a million random live shows in the past decade. stp hasnt even really had one official live album though, id like a "best of" live compilation like nirvana and alice in chains did first.