September 20, 2024, 06:49:49 AM

Author Topic: when was this said  (Read 4656 times)

Marsbars

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
when was this said
« on: September 08, 2009, 09:25:42 AM »
STP toured with the Butthole Surfers, and Weiland developed a drug addiction, claiming Butthole Surfers singer Gibby Haynes introduced him to heroin.

is this true?
cause the world is colorblind

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
Re: when was this said
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 10:49:09 AM »
There are various stories. Scott did in fact say that, but he also said that his first wife's brother introduced it to him. Or possibly just introduced him to the injecting of it.

Try searching Google for "the devil gives you the first time for free," I think. It's Scott telling stories about how and what drugs he got introduced to.
Bleeda blooda

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 05:43:35 PM »
I'm not sure exactly when Scott first claimed the thing about Gibby Haynes turning him onto heroin, but it supposedly happened in 1994. I know he mentions it in the article andrew mentioned as well as a time or two on Howard Stern.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 05:52:37 PM »
From the article andrew mentions...

..."When you start doing dope, there's a honeymoon period. At the time I started, when I was about twenty-four, I was with the woman who would become my first wife, Jannina. Heroin was definitely something that was on our radar. After I tried it for the first time—in New York, at the Royalton Hotel, the last stop of a tour STP coheadlined with the Butthole Surfers—we were excited about doing it together. It turned out her brother, Tony, was into it, too.
We started making trips to downtown L.A. to score. At that point I had this Toyota Landcruiser—the first significant purchase of my success. The whole thing was very ceremonial, like a ritual, like a religious event. The copping. The smoking. The need. I started referring to it as my medicine.
The four of us would just hang out—myself, Jannina, Tony, and his chick at the time. We were just smoking it, you know, chasing the dragon. It was all pretty innocent. We'd drive downtown, grab a few bags, smoke...and then we'd just kind of lie around and have that sort of dope sex where you can **** for eight hours. They call it a dope stick. You stay up forever but you have a hard time, you know, finishing. It's, like, tantric.
As time progressed, I was finding that there seemed to be a certain ceiling to the high when you were smoking heroin. And smoking is inefficient. Any junkie will tell you that: A lot of the dope goes to waste.
But not knowing anyone who fixed, I had to wait for my opportunity. It came on Thanksgiving 1993. We went over to Jannina's parents' house. Tony lived in a room in the garage. After dinner, he's like, "I got a couple rigs. You wanna fix?" So naturally I was like, "Sure." He tied me off and shot me up. And then he said, "Now you got your wings."
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 06:34:10 PM »
Quote from: "Shangri"
From the article andrew mentions...

..."When you start doing dope, there's a honeymoon period. At the time I started, when I was about twenty-four, I was with the woman who would become my first wife, Jannina. Heroin was definitely something that was on our radar. After I tried it for the first time—in New York, at the Royalton Hotel, the last stop of a tour STP coheadlined with the Butthole Surfers—we were excited about doing it together. It turned out her brother, Tony, was into it, too.
We started making trips to downtown L.A. to score. At that point I had this Toyota Landcruiser—the first significant purchase of my success. The whole thing was very ceremonial, like a ritual, like a religious event. The copping. The smoking. The need. I started referring to it as my medicine.
The four of us would just hang out—myself, Jannina, Tony, and his chick at the time. We were just smoking it, you know, chasing the dragon. It was all pretty innocent. We'd drive downtown, grab a few bags, smoke...and then we'd just kind of lie around and have that sort of dope sex where you can **** for eight hours. They call it a dope stick. You stay up forever but you have a hard time, you know, finishing. It's, like, tantric.
As time progressed, I was finding that there seemed to be a certain ceiling to the high when you were smoking heroin. And smoking is inefficient. Any junkie will tell you that: A lot of the dope goes to waste.
But not knowing anyone who fixed, I had to wait for my opportunity. It came on Thanksgiving 1993. We went over to Jannina's parents' house. Tony lived in a room in the garage. After dinner, he's like, "I got a couple rigs. You wanna fix?" So naturally I was like, "Sure." He tied me off and shot me up. And then he said, "Now you got your wings."

very interesting read, and very sad too. Lots of people go down that road. I think I'd read through his book entirely without putting it down once.