September 30, 2024, 08:21:31 AM

Author Topic: Finally, STP made someones top list!  (Read 12182 times)

MedicBarbie

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Finally, STP made someones top list!
« on: June 24, 2008, 10:00:56 PM »
The Top 5 Grunge albums.  VERY INTERESTING. ;)

Although, I'd like to add that the one who says Core is interesting because of Weiland and heroin - I'd like to choke him.  I guess he doesn't know that he was sober when this was written.  :P

http://www.cinemablend.com/music/CB-Top ... -6418.html

CB Top 5: Grunge Albums
By Mack Rawden:

CB Top 5: Grunge Albums For a near half decade period in the early 1990s, a pre-fabricated genre cleverly coined Grunge was sitting atop both the musical and fashion apexes of American society. Within a matter of months, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and several other prolific bands from the Northeast had supplanted Poison and friends as the epitome of cool. Suddenly, sadness was in. Spandex was replaced by ill-fitting flannel, and “Nothin But A Good Time” was shelved in favor of “Rape Me.”

Then as quickly as it vaulted onto the cultural radar, it was gone. Cobain was dead. Staley and Weiland were crippled by drug abuse, and buoyed by Silicon Valley, rampant spending once again became hip. Bleak melodies and downer lyrics only couple with rainy days. There’s just no time for crying when the sun is out.

Ohh, Grunge. The world has defecated on your grave, but Cinema Blend has not forgotten you. We may not exactly root for your safe return, but occasionally, when the clouds are overhead, we’ll open your dusty box of malaise and rock out. So, here’s to you, Grunge. It’s the Cinema Blend Top 5!

Cinema Blend Top 5: Grunge Albums

5. Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape

J.D. McNamara: Unofficially their first album as a band, The Colour and the Shape still remains the best effort from the Foo Fighters. With chart-toppers like “Monkey Wrench”, “My Hero” and “Everlong” the disc propelled the early success of the band, and more importantly, it cast Dave Grohl out from the shadows of Nirvana for good. Not that being in Nirvana was a negative, but if the Foos hadn’t debuted with such a unique sounding and successful album, they’d no doubt be forever referred to as “that other guy from Nirvana’s band.” Aside from the three singles, I have great affection for “Hey, Johnny Park!”, “Walking After You” and “February Stars”, which fuse a crisp heaviness with raw energy and a slow but steady tempo. Despite straying from traditional grunge and coming after the golden years of the era, Dave Grohl is truly grunge at heart and The Colour and the Shape is definitely deserving of its spot on our top five!

Mack Rawden: In between the gentile whispers of “Doll” and the screeching, climaxing guitars of “New Way Home”, Dave Grohl proved to the world that their were two geniuses in Nirvana. Largely relegated to support work in the latter band, the Foo Fighters frontman shined in his new, resized role. The magic of The Colour And The Shape comes from its incredible depth. I pretty much have a man crush on every song. You really can’t go wrong with any of the five Foo-related releases, but this album, without question, is the magnum opus. You probably already own this album (if you have a soul...or taste), but if you don’t, get your ass in gear and go purchase it. Now.

4. Nirvana - Nevermind

Amy Novak: Experiencing the birth, life and death of a band like Nirvana created such a powerful comradary amongst hungry, awkward 14 year-olds from all walks of life that their influence was not only immeasurable, but also undeniable. Growing up with these guys was like having a hanger-on friendship with the popular kid in school; you genuinely feel like his existence somehow enhances yours, even though you don’t really know him all that well. What Nirvana was all about underneath it all will never fully be understood by those most affected by their music, but when they were making albums like Nevermind, who gives a shit? In an era of monumental grunge releases, Nevermind was far and away the stand out. Hits like “Come as you are”, “Smells like Teen Spirit”, and “Stay Away” will forever hold their place in time. It’s still heartbreaking that Hurricane Kurt ended up destroying the raw and staggering talent of Nirvana, but their exit from the scene was very similar to their entrance: sudden, unexpected and loud.

Mack Rawden: Let’s get something out of the way right now: “Smells Like Teen Spirit” blows. Yeah, I said it. The entire song is unintelligible and the video can only be described as above average. I’ll never understand how that song single handedly took down the “Girls Girls Girls” juggernaut of glam-metal, but that’s neither here nor there. Everything else on Nevermind is furious, balls-to-the-wall angst with a few slower, reflective tracks interspersed (see “Polly”). The real beauty of this album lies in its unassuming genius. Neither the record company nor the band expected a hit, and as a result, they just played for themselves. There’s also a naked dude on the front. You can never go wrong with that.

3. Pearl Jam - Ten

J.D. McNamara: Many aspects of the grunge era are extremely debatable. Which band was the best? Most successful? Truest to their fans? Biggest “sell-outs”? The list and the arguments go on and on. But one thing cannot be debated: after all the years following the disintegration of many grunge era bands, Pearl Jam still stands. They’re making music today, and it’s still damn good. The fact that they’ve been a remarkably successful band for almost twenty years, and their debut effort Ten is widely considered their best album is a true testament to its quality and longevity. Along with smash hits “Even Flow”, “Alive”, and “Jeremy”, the underrated “Garden” and “Porch” solidify Pearl Jam’s Ten as not only one of the greatest Grunge discs, but one of the best Rock albums of all time.

Mack Rawden: There’s enough sadness on Pearl Jam’s Ten to make Laci Peterson’s family look on the bright side. Everything on this disc is a tragedy. Themes of mistaken paternity tests, incest, sexual abuse, lies, deceit, murder, jealousy, hatred, and imprisonment are all screamed ad nauseum throughout. The entire thing is like a Jerry Springer Uncensored Episode. I normally rally against whining, but this morbid subject matter proves to be perfect fodder for progressive, straight-ahead, angst-ridden Grunge. Arguably the only surviving influential member of the movement, Pearl Jam continues to rock on, but they’ve never eclipsed the power of this debut disc.

2. Alice In Chains - Unplugged

J.D. McNamara: The Alice in Chains MTV Unplugged album is an extremely special recording for a variety of reasons; most of them revolving around troubled frontman Layne Staley. For starters, the MTV show was the first time they’d appeared live in nearly two and a half years, and also one of the last times they would ever perform with Layne. Secondly, the companion DVD of the actual performance only needed one viewing before it became permanently entrenched in my mind; every time I hear a song off the disc I can envision a fragile Layne belting out some of those tracks one final time. Even though MTV Unplugged was taped in 1996 and Layne didn’t pass until 2002, it’s shocking to watch because he already seems so painfully close to his deathbed. And finally, let’s not forget the most important part – the music. Alice in Chains could’ve had a number of albums on this list (Dirt made my top 5), and they’re undoubtedly one of the greatest bands to emerge from the grunge era. With haunting versions of “Nutshell”, “Down in A Hole”, “Rooster” and “Would?”, the Alice in Chains MTV Unplugged disc will forever remain a last ode to one of music’s most powerful and revered voices. R.I.P. Layne.

Karl Spork: Get a serrated blade. Something that would tear the shit outta some bread. Jagged, unrelenting, violent. Take it outside and saw some bricks in half and wear the points off. The next part is the most difficult. Find a miraculous whetstone that will not only repair your blade, but hone it to a remarkable degree. So sharp you could perform a bris on a tsetse fly. That’s what the shift of somber acoustic tones did to Alice in Chains’ sound. Layne Staley’s voice crafted melodies never as pronounced as they were on this album, while vocal counterpoints and finely constructed harmonies met the opened layers of acoustic guitar. A surprising album, a beautiful album, and a landmark album. RIP Layne Staley.

1. Stone Temple Pilots - Core

Karl Spork: Top 5 reasons Core is the number one:
1. The original band name was Shirley Temple’s Pussy.
2. It was the first cassette tape I ever purchased.
3. It expanded the artificial borders from solely Seattle to a slightly more-inclusive West Coast, and I’m all for inclusion…,unless it’s a round of Ookie Cookie.
4. This debut album coming out in the peak of the grunge scene is an aggressive testosterone fest laden with tension, existentialism and rebellion, key buzzwords used for description by later eras, but words that my early teenage mind never concerned themselves with because of the depth of the music.
5. These were the glory years when Scott Weiland was verschnigget on coke/heroin…and not only did it cause him to put his best foot forward lyrically, it also did not affect their touring schedule, and, in fact, made them a glorious spectacle to behold live. Also, throughout the liner notes, he is referred to as the mononomed “Weiland”. Noice.

Amy Novak: At the time of its release in 1992, Stone Temple Pilots’ Core was thought of as pretentious, corporate, arena grunge for kids who bought their flannel shirts at the mall. But over the next few years, the followers got wise to the fact that NONE of their Seattle superheroes were keeping it in the garage anymore and it suddenly became ok to embrace Core as one of the greatest grunge albums ever made. Not only was it a mini “fuck you” to the every self-proclaimed grunge expert who could never get past the Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam comparisions, but it was also just a flat-out brilliantly–written album. Hits like “Dead and Bloated” and “Creep” simply refused to vacate your memory and that can only happen when a song has something more than just a catchy chord progression. Over the next decade or so as Scott Weiland literally became half the man he used to be, STP went in a different direction with their sound, but at least they can still put that Core trophy up on their mantle.

Nominated but didn’t make the cut: Sixteen Stone, Superunknown, Dirt, Jar Of Flies, Gluey Porch Treatments, and Badmotorfinger

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Finally, STP made someones top list!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 10:22:49 PM »
Quote from: "MedicBarbie"
Although, I'd like to add that the one who says Core is interesting because of Weiland and heroin - I'd like to choke him.  I guess he doesn't know that he was sober when this was written.  :P

While Core is-pre-dependency to heroin, its been widely documented that Scott and the other boys were dabbling in drugs well before core was released.  That said, the writer is clearly assuming things about Weiland's past that aren't based in fact. 

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 10:34:25 PM »
it's nice that it is getting some recognition though
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:53:11 PM »
yeah its about time they top one of these lists
i am smellin like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed

Jeremy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 11:05:22 PM »
That is one of the most pathetic lists I've ever seen in my life. What jackasses.

~Jeremy~

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 11:37:52 PM »
I'm really only into Core if I'm in the gym. Otherwise, it just doesn't do it for me like the rest of STP's albums. I find it silly they would think STP went downhill from Core. A mark of a great band is not sticking with what is comfortable. If STP made Core 2, 3, 4, etc would we really think of them as a great band?

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 11:43:27 PM »
if scott was still singing  yeah!!  How could he not like purple or SLDD
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

adhesive-love

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 02:15:51 AM »
How could he leave out Dirt or Badmotorfinger!!
I know I want what\'s on my mind.

Six7Six7

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 02:28:04 AM »
Quote from: "adhesive-love"
How could he leave out Dirt or Badmotorfinger!!

Ditto.

Foo Fighters over AIC and Soundgarden?

That is grunge sacrilege.

stpnj2008

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 02:48:21 AM »
Core is an amazing record that fires on all cylinders. The vocals from Scott are incredible and Dean definitely laid down some immortal riffs

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 03:10:07 AM »
The word "grunge" and shitty lists... all things STP has always been above.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Six7Six7

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 03:28:42 AM »
Quote from: "STEAK"
The word "grunge" and shitty lists... all things STP has always been above.

they certainly didn't mind dressing the part when that was the cool thing to do.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 05:04:57 PM »
Quote from: "Six7Six7"
they certainly didn't mind dressing the part when that was the cool thing to do.

I don't know if it's more dressing the part or being generalized into a category.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Six7Six7

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 06:49:12 PM »
It's not exactly a bad category to be in.

It's not like Collective Soul was ever spoken in the same breath as Nirvana, PJ, AIC, and Soundgarden.

STP was good enough to be in the company of those that represented everything good about music. And they embraced it, as much as they disliked the tag "Grunge" (but EVERY band hated the tag. So that's nothing new)

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 12:42:58 AM »
Quote from: "Six7Six7"

The first few years of the band they dressed the opposite of all the 80's rock and that other shit... and over the years they came into their own.  They've usually been a pretty stylized band. 
"Hey there... how's your steak?"