September 19, 2024, 07:26:53 PM

Author Topic: STP new album popularity?  (Read 15721 times)

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: STP new album popularity?
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2010, 05:02:08 PM »
I'm guessing 350,000 roundabout
I had the midwife naked and alone

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2010, 11:18:37 PM »
Whaaaaaaaaa?   Hybrid Theory sold 10 million?  That cant be right.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2010, 11:21:46 PM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
Ohh yeah that album was HUGE! Still is...its in the top 100 (or 200?) downloaded albums on itunes right now
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2010, 11:23:34 PM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"

Wikipedia says so. I believe it. That album was immensely popular when it came out.
Bleeda blooda

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2010, 11:26:15 PM »
I repeat .. whaaaaaaa?

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2010, 11:27:03 PM »
From Wikipedia:

Hybrid Theory was released in the United States on October 24, 2000 following the debut of "One Step Closer" on the radio.[22]  It entered the U.S. Billboard 200 charts at #16 in late 2000,[23]  and was certified gold by the RIAA five weeks after its release.[4]  In 2001, Hybrid Theory sold 4.8 million copies in the United States, making it the best-selling album of the year,[24][25]  and it was estimated that the album continued selling 100,000 copies per week in early 2002.[3]  Throughout the following years, the album continued to sell at a fast pace and was certified diamond by the RIAA in 2005 for selling 10 million copies in the U.S.[26]  It has also sold 29 million copies worldwide as of 2009, which made it the band's best-selling album and the best-selling debut album of the 21st century.

Pretty damn impressive. 29 million copies worldwide.
Bleeda blooda

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2010, 11:32:11 PM »
I know a lot of people rag on Linkin Park and I'll admit they can be pretty cheesy and blah sometimes...but Hybrid Theory is a kickass album. I remember getting it in 7th grade and loved it in middle school. Pretty much forgot about it in high school but for some reason got back into it a little over a year ago. The lyrics aren't anything groundbreaking but the music is SICK and Chester's vocals are awesome
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

PhoenixFiles

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2010, 04:03:14 AM »
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
I know a lot of people rag on Linkin Park and I'll admit they can be pretty cheesy and blah sometimes...but Hybrid Theory is a kickass album. I remember getting it in 7th grade and loved it in middle school. Pretty much forgot about it in high school but for some reason got back into it a little over a year ago. The lyrics aren't anything groundbreaking but the music is SICK and Chester's vocals are awesome

The 2001 Family Values show with STP and Linkin Park at the Pepsi Center in Denver was a great one... I enjoyed Staind the lest, kinda dug Static X.  STP was the best, with Scott rocking his priest collar.  I think Linkin Park incorporates a DJ pretty well and their album with Jay Z was cool.  I agree with you about the music, I had a "what IS this?" moment when I first heard "One Step Closer"... I didn't appreciate Chester enough until I saw that show...
We have art in order not to die of the truth.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2010, 06:17:23 AM »
Quote from: "DeadAndNotForSale"
Quote from: "Silvergun92"
So hypothetically, how many albums would you think that Core (8x platinum) would sell if it was first released this year?

Maybe like 2xPlatinum...Hard to say.

Yeah, defiantly hard to say. This is why it surprised me when I read on Billboard.com that Weiland wanted the upcoming album to go Diamond! I hope he isn't serious...

Where did he say he wanted it to go diamond? Maybe he means sell 10 million around the entire world, but that would not really be diamond....all though I'd be ok with selling that many hahaha. Bands don't really go diamond since the digital internet era do they? I think maybe a country artist can do this but not a rock act....the internet would have to collapse for this to happen....

-Chase

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2010, 06:24:12 AM »
Quote from: "DELEO"
So hypothetically, how many albums would you think that Core (8x platinum) would sell if it was first released this year?

Yeah, defiantly hard to say. This is why it surprised me when I read on Billboard.com that Weiland wanted the upcoming album to go Diamond! I hope he isn't serious...

Where did he say he wanted it to go diamond? Maybe he means sell 10 million around the entire world, but that would not really be diamond....all though I'd be ok with selling that many hahaha. Bands don't really go diamond since the digital internet era do they? I think maybe a country artist can do this but not a rock act....the internet would have to collapse for this to happen....

-Chase

No way any albums go diamond anymore. Even if online album sales counted towards certification, none would ever hit the mark.
Bleeda blooda

Flowb

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2010, 03:11:20 PM »
I was born in 81, the 90's did have some awesome music. I started listening to Pearl Jam and AIC and Nirvana when I was like 13. Most of the bands now seem kind of lame to me. I guess I was spoiled by the early/mid 90's  :(

I'm hoping for good things from STP, they better stick around for at least 3-8 more albums  ;D

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2010, 05:10:08 AM »

I still enjoy the album. I don't play it as much as I used to, but when I popped it in recently, I still remembered all the words to most of the songs. The lyrics weren't groundbreaking, but they were straight and to the point. Plus, ANYONE can relate to it as well. It's a quality album for its genre, most definitely. Anyone remember Trust Company? Lonely Position of Neutral was a GREAT album, and if it got as much airplay at LP did, I think that album would have been much bigger in terms of sales and popularity.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2010, 05:41:31 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"

I still enjoy the album. I don't play it as much as I used to, but when I popped it in recently, I still remembered all the words to most of the songs. The lyrics weren't groundbreaking, but they were straight and to the point. Plus, ANYONE can relate to it as well. It's a quality album for its genre, most definitely. Anyone remember Trust Company? Lonely Position of Neutral was a GREAT album, and if it got as much airplay at LP did, I think that album would have been much bigger in terms of sales and popularity.
Haha yeah I remember them. Didn't have their CD but I knew some songs...I have "Downfall" and "Surfacing" on my itunes. Remember Adema?!?! They were Linkin Park clones that had that one song "Giving In"...haha that was back in the day

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2010, 05:53:18 PM »
Quote from: "DELEO"

-Chase
.....Weiland hopes the new album sells well enough to allow him time off from the road at some point. "I hope the record sells 10 million," he says. "I have two young kids who call me, crying, 'Daddy, when are you coming home? When is two weeks up?' I love playing shows, but I want to be with my children." ---This is found on the Billboard.com article on Stone Temple Pilots.  Might not really be diamond, but Scott really does want a lot of sales on this album.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2010, 09:16:41 PM »
I'm just hoping that the new record goes platinum period.  Forget how many times platinum.
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)