September 19, 2024, 07:43:36 PM

Author Topic: STP new album popularity?  (Read 15723 times)

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
STP new album popularity?
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:07:46 AM »
Realizing that different cities/markets have different demands, I live in and represent the Detroit Rock Radio Market. With that said, STP has a very strong support system that has seemed to reawaken within the past year. The most popular morning show in Detroit on the WRIF has always supported STP and they have used Crackerman and Where the River Goes among many others as lead in's after commercials for over a decade. They seem to mention STP often and I believe that when the new single hits that they will play it regularly and suppport the album fully.

The same station is very excited about the new Alice in Chains and seem to have a soft spot for the 90's era music ( dare i say the grunge era ). Within Detroit I feel that STP could reclaim the airwaves with a hit single, hopefully two or three. I am excited for new material because I believe that in an era where a new Chevelle single and the likes of Disturbed are getting massive radio play that a "new" STP rock single could really take off here in Detriot. With the Chili Peppers and other big name radio acts in between albums this could be a great time for STP to step in and reclaim what is theirs. I am not refering to a #1 hit but simply two or three solid singles that will make them relevent in the modern rock era.I realize that L.A. and New York are the more important markets but there seems to be love here in the D for the Pilots and we can only hope that other cities welcome STP back into the fold with the new effort. I firmly believe that this could be the album that allows people to step up and give STP the respect that they deserve. They are now viewed as veterens of the music scene and we can only hope that they work their way back into enough sucess to pull them into another decade of music ala the Chili's, U-2etc.

STP for life!!!

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
Re: STP new album popularity?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:28:00 AM »
It would be great if STP became really popular again. It's always nice to have a favorite band who's known outside their regular fanbase. I hope they play their new single on Letterman.

By the way, awesome username!

T-Bone

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 01:33:14 AM »
I agree and I believe that the band would as well.  I think that is why they are performing a "greatest hits" live setlist to revive an interest and prepare audiences for a new, breakout album.  As for radio aiplay and success, I think that the success of this album will determine the bands future.  
As for getting the respect they deserve, I was wondering that a few weeks ago.  I wonder if STP will ever be nominated for the HOF when their time approaches.  
I hope so.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:39:16 AM »
I like your aspirations for the band! More than anything I hope they are all happy with playing... but with success will come more albums, touring and longevity - I'm all for it!

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 01:59:01 AM »
Yes touring is the key!!!!!!!!! I can't stand radio. The wrif dj's actually are clueless when it comes to 99% of Scott's work. At MGM they said hey thats the guy who wrote down!!!
  The true fans are where its at who made STP in the beginning while critics are always the ones to bash until majority rules.
 hawk.

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:46:07 AM »
Unfortunately, this is the era of payola. I hope for the best but it seems only payola acts get airplay. I even think Soundscan is rigged to inflate album sales for these same acts.

detomaso

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 04:38:30 AM »
Quote from: "T-Bone"
I wonder if STP will ever be nominated for the HOF when their time approaches.  
I hope so.

Don't hold your breath. Here are just a few names that are inexplicably not in the Hall. Love or hate them, their lengthy career accomplishments and popularity deserve to be recognized more than several acts that have been admitted...

NOT IN
Deep Purple    8)  
Electric Light Orchestra
Journey
Jethro Tull
Doobie Brothers
Rush
Bad Company
Bon Jovi
Genesis
Kiss
Def Leppard
Judas Priest   8)
Chicago
Heart  :-*

When you look at this list, it's obvious STP needs 2-3 more HUGE albums to leapfrog this bunch. And that's not considering the non-rock acts  ::)  that make the ROCK Hall.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 06:01:00 AM »
haha wow....if deep purple, kiss and judas priest aren't even in idk what kinda shot stp has, they're gonna have to pull some aerosmith shit

it's also worth noting metallica JUST got in this year, i think weiland and the boys have a longggg way to go, they're in my rock n roll hall of fame tho that's all that counts
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

marc_stp

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/marc_stp
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 11:35:14 AM »
Over here in the UK , the new Alice In Chains single is getting alot of airplay , which is great in my eyes , but only on certain stations .

The problem is that like AIC , STP appeal to a certain audience/listener . Sure , everyone knows the hits (Plush , was the only STP single to chart in the UK , and that was over 15 years ago) but you have to keep churning out the hits to become 'popular' and get the airplay needed .

I so hope that Scott and co get the recognition they rightly deserve but they are going to have to pull of something spectacular over here and release an album that has 'mass appeal' , but i am not expecting another Core or Purple ... But don't worry guys , i'm still buying it , no matter what ...  ;D

bigvin22

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 02:59:41 PM »
I am also from the Detroit area and do believe the WRIF would play them pretty heavily...but that's really the only station that would.  We have 89X that played Scott's solo stuff here and there but that's really it.  I guess I'm just greedy and want a new album whether it's played a lot of not.  I'm in it for me I guess.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 02:24:41 AM »
Quote from: "MacCausland"
I'm glad to see that Pearl Jam's new song was the most requested song on my station yesterday. But station kind of sucks, just look at the requested songs this week.

http://www.wrrv.com/buzzcutsarchive.asp

Jesus Christ, instead of requesting a song on the radio that you will be hearing every day over and over and over again just go and buy/illegally download the song. Its kinda annoying seeing everyone requesting the same songs over and over and over.

What's worse is when they play a song and then an hour later they play the exact same one and it's the same DJ. It's like why the hell do you play the same crappy song over and over again when you have thousands of different songs you can play?

I'm just glad they finally stopped playing the terrible song Human by the Killers constantly. That song makes me want to choke babies.
Bleeda blooda

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 03:47:20 AM »
Quote from: "andrew"
I'm just glad they finally stopped playing the terrible song Human by the Killers constantly. That song makes me want to choke babies.

It's not THAT bad. Although my wife hated it, and she likes the Killers.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 07:48:56 AM »
let's just worry about the single not being in the same station where they would play the jonas brothers
If you only knew..

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 07:59:54 AM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
Quote from: "andrew"

It's not THAT bad. Although my wife hated it, and she likes the Killers.

For me it's just one of those songs. But I also haven't really liked anything The Killers have done since Hot Fuss.
Bleeda blooda

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 08:39:51 AM »
I'll admit I am probably going to buy 5-10 copies of the new album to support the band and give some of them to friends.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11