September 25, 2024, 05:32:25 AM

Author Topic: Random STP mentions  (Read 112816 times)

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
Re: Random STP mentions
« Reply #555 on: September 22, 2013, 05:01:50 PM »
I was reading Everett True's book on Nirvana and came across this passage:

"Stone Temple Plagiarists had done an Unplugged a few weeks earlier, and taken several hours to record a 45-minute, ostensibly 'live' set." - p.510

I wonder if any of this footage remains of alt/aborted takes from the unplugged session?

Haha, Stone Temple Plagiarists?  Really?  Give me a break.  Nirvana had some great songs and were an iconic band but they are vastly overrated in my opinion.  And as far as talent and creativity goes, an unbiased listener would have to give the nod to STP.  Besides Dave Grohl being more talented than Kretz, Scott was a supremely better singer and just as good of a melody/lyrical writer when compared to Cobain.  And as far as musicianship goes, the Deleos can go against ANY guitarists in the grunge era.  I know I'm an STP diehard so my opinion, itself, seems biased.  But there was a time where I revered Nirvana as the best band to come out of the '90s (like many still do).  It was all about timing, and Nirvana came out at just the right time.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:03:41 PM by DeadAndNotForSale »
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 22, 2013, 07:51:08 PM »
^^Agreed, but, although there timing was great NeverMind just had that something to it that made it special.

"Stone Temple Plagiarists" , they get this still to this day, well lately here with some calling out 'Black Heart' as a 'Get Back' rip off
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 22, 2013, 09:32:44 PM »
^^Agreed, but, although there timing was great NeverMind just had that something to it that made it special.

"Stone Temple Plagiarists" , they get this still to this day, well lately here with some calling out 'Black Heart' as a 'Get Back' rip off

Oh yeah, definitely.  Don't get me wrong, Nevermind is an iconic album that deserves to stand the test of time.  But there were sooo many more albums that were just as special as it in the '90s.  Yet, Nevermind gets the most recognition, mostly because of the timing.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Tuf_Duff In Chains

• Sky Captain
  • THE Man in The Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 07, 2014, 10:06:47 PM »
http://www.cinemablend.com/pop/I-Made-You-Mixtape-20-Songs-Released-20-Years-Ago-61435-p2.html

"Honesty, dishonesty, it’s all the same in love.  Right?"

STP1992

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 08, 2014, 01:09:14 AM »
Haha, Stone Temple Plagiarists?  Really?  Give me a break.  Nirvana had some great songs and were an iconic band but they are vastly overrated in my opinion.  And as far as talent and creativity goes, an unbiased listener would have to give the nod to STP.  Besides Dave Grohl being more talented than Kretz, Scott was a supremely better singer and just as good of a melody/lyrical writer when compared to Cobain.  And as far as musicianship goes, the Deleos can go against ANY guitarists in the grunge era.  I know I'm an STP diehard so my opinion, itself, seems biased.  But there was a time where I revered Nirvana as the best band to come out of the '90s (like many still do).  It was all about timing, and Nirvana came out at just the right time.

I agree about the Nirvana being overrated part... dont get me wrong I love them, but unlike a lot of people I look deep into music. If u gave them a Sponge or STP CD theyd probably just toss it aside and never check it out. 

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 08, 2014, 09:37:54 PM »
Not exactly belonging here but was at some Sports bar/grill establishment watching a sporting event and during an intermission they play a bunch of random newer tunes, one of the tunes was Black Heart which i thought was interesting to hear, than later in the night they play music videos and againg Blacj Heart was played, the lyric video.  Funny being the only on in the location knowing what i was hearing and watching ;)

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 14, 2014, 08:52:05 PM »
A Slaves To Gravity Interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ePQlc1LAs

How i miss this band!!

When asked about their inspiration, well guess who made it to the list? ;)

From the 7th min, if you want to cut to the chase...

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 14, 2014, 10:21:43 PM »
They played Desperation #5 going into a commercial break on NFL Network this morning.

Tuf_Duff In Chains

• Sky Captain
  • THE Man in The Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 03, 2014, 08:01:30 PM »

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 07, 2014, 06:44:14 PM »
Jimmy Kimmel show, after interviewing Rob Ford, Toronto crack mayor for those who dont know, band played Sex Type Thing going into break

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 25, 2014, 11:25:08 PM »
Adam Scott, as Derek Huff from Step Brothers, gives STP a shout out in this new Funny or Die skit.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/7cea68b752/a-message-from-step-brothers-adam-scott

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 26, 2014, 06:41:13 AM »
Adam Scott, as Derek Huff from Step Brothers, gives STP a shout out in this new Funny or Die skit.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/7cea68b752/a-message-from-step-brothers-adam-scott

Welp.  STP gets shitted on again.  Says a lot of unpopular things, and ends up saying "STP is a good band". 

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 27, 2014, 01:13:08 AM »

Welp.  STP gets shitted on again.  Says a lot of unpopular things, and ends up saying "STP is a good band". 
Well, for once, Derek was right.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 27, 2014, 01:41:35 AM »
Probably about a month ago I saw a guy outside of some restaurant or cafe in Sacramento and he had on that free "Happy In Galoshes" shirt that you got when you purchased the 2 disc version of the album.

I almost yelled at him but I was in my work truck and had to remain professional.
Bleeda blooda

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #569 on: March 27, 2014, 03:08:15 AM »
Probably about a month ago I saw a guy outside of some restaurant or cafe in Sacramento and he had on that free "Happy In Galoshes" shirt that you got when you purchased the 2 disc version of the album.

I almost yelled at him but I was in my work truck and had to remain professional.

Was it Gravedancer?  He's a member here from Sacramento.  I highly doubt there is more than one die hard STP/Scott fan left in Sacramento.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11