September 27, 2024, 10:21:58 AM

Author Topic: Random STP mentions  (Read 113135 times)

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Random STP mentions
« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2011, 02:34:58 AM »
Not really a random mention, but I did see Scott Weiland talking about bands he liked in VH1 100 Greatest Artists Of All Time. So, random appearance, I guess you could say?
Water summons wind...wind makes fire dance...

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2011, 04:17:38 PM »
Scott is mentioned by Sammy Hagar in his biography, "Red".  The story is about the Velvet Revolver appearance at the rock 'n roll hall of fame to induct Van Halen and there were some words exchanged with David Lee Roth where apparently Weiland told Slash that if that guy came up on stage to sing with them, then he'd leave the band. LMAO!
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2011, 12:25:34 AM »
I dont think he likes STP 

"Or think perhaps of Stone Temple Pilots, an utterly detestable gang of   fame-at-any-cost journeymen who persisted against all odds in putting   out some of the best singles of the '90s.   These bands all fall into a type. They're genre parasites who briefly   achieve some sort of cosmetic stasis with the host. Look around these   days and you see the same thing with junior Arcade Fire try-hards like   the flatulently named Airborne Toxic Event. Remember when everybody was   losing their poop over "Sometime Around Midnight"? "

http://thetyee.ca/ArtsAndCulture/2011/07/14/TheHorrors/

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2011, 12:55:12 AM »
Scott is mentioned by Sammy Hagar in his biography, "Red".  The story is about the Velvet Revolver appearance at the rock 'n roll hall of fame to induct Van Halen and there were some words exchanged with David Lee Roth where apparently Weiland told Slash that if that guy came up on stage to sing with them, then he'd leave the band. LMAO!

Maybe - ok, I know it is- a stupid question... "that guy" is Hagar?
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 15, 2011, 07:58:08 PM »
"The DeLeos in Stone Temple Pilots, Dean and Robert, are seemingly at the mercy of Scott Weiland's whims, but seem to be stable on their own."

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2011/07/brawlin_brothers.php
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 17, 2011, 01:17:19 AM »
“Stone Temple Pilots was playing in Aspen and during their soundcheck,   the sound guy was blasting one of our tunes,” said Rose Hill Drive   singer-bassist Jacob Sproul, calling from Boulder, Colo. “Stone Temple   Pilots brothers Robert and Dean [DeLeo] both latched onto it. The   soundman said we were this local band. They were like, ‘Holy   [expletive], we really like these guys.’ Now simultaneously, we had been   trying to get on that show. So when Dean inquired about us to Stone   Temple Pilots’ management, he learned we were trying to get on shows   with STP. Almost immediately they set up the tour.”

http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/jul/16/rose-hill-drive-perseveres/

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 17, 2011, 04:47:12 AM »
At the 311 and Sublime concert tonight I saw two people with STP shirts on.  Also since Sublime has a song called STP there was a time when everyone was chanting STP STP STP.  Brought me back to the concerts I'd been to.
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 17, 2011, 11:44:04 PM »
A covered STP tune coming soon ..

http://www.zoiksonline.com/2011/07/relient-k-at-warped-tour-interview.html

Z!: How did you decide which songs, because you went from like Justin Bieber to Tom Petty etc?

MT:   That was tough. The next eight has like Nada Surf, Nick Drake, Stone   Temple Pilots, Toto “Africa,” there’s some real diverse songs. Yeah we   just kind of picked songs we really enjoyed. Some of them we picked   because we thought our fan base would know and some of them we thought   we’d be introducing them to, like the Tom Petty one, it wasn’t one of   his most popular songs

.Z!: When does the album version come out?

MT:   The cover EP came out like a week and a half, two weeks ago and I think   October the full album will be released.  They’re all done; we’re just   waiting for the mixes. 

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 18, 2011, 04:50:00 AM »
At the 311 and Sublime concert tonight I saw two people with STP shirts on.  Also since Sublime has a song called STP there was a time when everyone was chanting STP STP STP.  Brought me back to the concerts I'd been to.
It was "weird" when I saw two STP shirts at a GNR show last year, and a bunch of VR's but that was more "normal" :P

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 21, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »
Anniversary issue of Rolling Stone 2009 (April here, Lennon on the cover, probably March for US), where they ranked the 100 greatest singers.
They first listed all the voters, who had to make a list of their 20 favorites singers, and Scott is one of the voters.
Later under Bowie and Steven Tyler names -in the ranking- Scott is mentioned as influenced by them.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2011, 07:52:32 PM »
The Aug. 24 show will feature Jimmie Vaughan, and the Sept. 14 performer   has yet to be announced. King said he had an offer to book the Stone   Temple Pilots for Sept. 14 but that it is unlikely the band could be   booked for the smaller venue

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011/jul/20/summerfest-shows-move-ninth-street/

Chewals

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 22, 2011, 06:39:12 PM »
I heard Dancing Days on the radio yesterday on the way home from Vegas. Big suprise.  ???

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 29, 2011, 03:06:11 PM »
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:18:58 PM by DankoJones »
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2011, 10:02:20 PM »
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2011/07/jessica_lea_mayfield_on_sad_so.php

You've said that your music draws from country and rock. Do you lean more in either direction?

I listen to a lot of '90s rock music and '80s country. Somehow, my songs   come out like Americana. I love bands like Alabama. I love people like   Keith Whitley. But I also love Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarden. It's   a big mix of things that somehow come together in my music. 

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 18, 2011, 01:40:31 AM »
"Stone Temple Pilots (Palladium):   I hate to add to the endless local glorifying of The Alternative Era,   which seems due mostly to the average age and other demographic details   of your average music writer, but supposedly it’s “cool” to like Stone   Temple Pilots again. Especially amongst the highly critical art and   noise scene that’s supposed to hate them. Maybe it’s time we again started treating nostalgia as a mental illness.
I could never handle this group of copy clowns as they existed, but   I’d be lying if I said I changed the station whenever “Interstate Love   Song” is on. It’s so unbearably of its time that even far better songs   can’t quite capture that period nearly as successfully. The group,   however awful, does deserve a little credit for ruining everything their   fans loved about them with the 1996 release Tiny Music…Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop.   Unfortunately neither of these feats warrants a sixty-five dollar   ticket price, though we all know someone with dark musical skeletons in   the closet who would be more than willing to pay it."

RIIIIITE .... http://frontrow.dmagazine.com/2011/08/it-list-dallas-area-music-offerings-for-august-17/comment-page-1/#comment-175833