September 27, 2024, 12:17:09 PM

Author Topic: Random STP mentions  (Read 113151 times)

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Random STP mentions
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2011, 12:09:18 AM »
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on this!  He wasn't just a guitar school shredhead who discovered his voice...he worked really hard before making it big to be able to create different sounds, different to the sounds that were being played at the time.  He studied lots of different types of music, almost obsessively.  He created all the music himself, recording all the parts in his house, and then teaching them to his band. He taught himself how to play everything. His voice was secondary to all this....he always said his voice shouldn't define him.  He was never entirely happy with anything he did, and it took him a long time to break out because of it. 
I can understand people not liking his deep and meaningfulness, but the one thing that has to be respected is his obsession for music and creativity.  His biography is a good read BTW, I'd recommend it..!

I didn't mean to sound so critical - Buckley had an amazing talent, no question. Thanks for the recommendation.

Aylin

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Whadayawannano?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2011, 01:51:47 AM »
Awww no you weren't too critical...I can understand where you're coming from. Imagine how I get when I'm defending STP ;)
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade

zjt228

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2011, 04:42:12 AM »
This doesn't exactly fit but while I was driving back to school this evening I heard "Plush" on three separate radio stations within 5 minutes of each other. I thought that was pretty darn cool.
6/4/08 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore (Red Wings win the Cup); 7/7/09 - Lansing, MI - Common Ground Festival; 8/19/10 - Grand Rapids, MI - Deltaplex; 8/26/10 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre; 4/20/11 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore; 8/18/12 - Pontiac, MI - Silverdome

sonofthecastle

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2011, 03:21:45 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jon-chattman/cage-the-elephant-frontma_b_825254.html

Matt Schultz from Cage the Elephant talking about his experience with the band (hanging out with the DeLeos and Eric but never meeting Scott)

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2011, 05:37:40 PM »
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2011, 05:56:45 PM »
More of a Scott thing ..
"

All too often, the rock & roll mythos of "larger than life" personalities is fully embraced by many singers. Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Jim Morrison of the Doors, Freddie Mercury of Queen, Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots, Marilyn Manson ..."

http://www.411mania.com/music/hall_of_fame/177272

sharky

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2011, 07:16:03 PM »
Not so much a mention, but on my drive home yesterday a local conservative talk radio show (yeah I'm that kind of guy) in New Orleans played Pop's Love Suicide for the bumper music one segment.

They always play STP, but it was awesomely weird to hear PLS.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2011, 11:54:43 PM »
Talking about the STP motor oil Co. coming back to motor racing

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/columns/story?columnist=mcgee_ryan&id=6343396&campaign=rss&source=RPMHeadlines

"Twenty years later, the Stone Temple Pilots changed the band's name (it   was Mighty Joe Young) after being inspired by the STP logo."

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2011, 12:22:23 AM »
Ive also seen STP mentioned in 3 seperate article where it was reviewing the new Foos album, in regards to some songs having a hint of STP  .. hmm

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2011, 05:03:02 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW0nTUz3Tc4

Bennington in the No.4 shirt.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 25, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
Heard BBB being played at the Staples Centre during the Sharks/Kings game the other night

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2011, 09:27:09 PM »
The Rolling Stones' chorister sang Vasoline. Cool, ah?

For some reason this guy, Bernanrd Fowler (I barely know him btw), plays in Argentina quite often. He doesn't bring his band, he joins to local players. 
So last Tuesday they made Vasoline. The man on bass (Zorrito Von Quinteiro) was at the last STP concert here, just behind me while I was waiting to get in for the meet&greet ;D

http://entretenimiento.terra.com.ar/cine/el-corista-de-los-stones-canto-anoche-en-buenos-aires,b026f1757f79f210VgnVCM4000009bf154d0RCRD.html

Translation of the important fact
"Wild Horses" followed by "Vasoline" by Stone Temple Pilots, opening up the repertoire to music beyond the Rolling Stones

And video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpkT1co8GLw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Cucho

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/voxfantome
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2011, 03:55:19 AM »
I heard 'Plush' playing as background music on a radio commercial for a college in Puerto Rico. It was about 2 weeks ago. I imagine not too legal, but very awesome.

TheOnlyRuss

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2011, 04:02:23 AM »
They played "Take A Load Off" for two straight days on FSN Detroit leading into Tigers games.  But they lost those two games so hopefully it was banned.

zjt228

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2011, 04:12:25 AM »
They played "Take A Load Off" for two straight days on FSN Detroit leading into Tigers games.  But they lost those two games so hopefully it was banned.

I cannot believe I did not notice that.
6/4/08 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore (Red Wings win the Cup); 7/7/09 - Lansing, MI - Common Ground Festival; 8/19/10 - Grand Rapids, MI - Deltaplex; 8/26/10 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre; 4/20/11 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore; 8/18/12 - Pontiac, MI - Silverdome