September 27, 2024, 02:18:30 PM

Author Topic: Random STP mentions  (Read 113163 times)

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Re: Random STP mentions
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2011, 03:40:50 PM »
3rd Danger Days - My Chemical Romance (I still wonder how :P )

My buddy HATES this band, but he said this new album is really good. They supposedly dropped their emo act. I was scratching my head too.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2011, 07:12:11 PM »
Wow, Argentina love STP  :D
No doubt about that! Hope they remember it and come more often ;)

My buddy HATES this band, but he said this new album is really good. They supposedly dropped their emo act. I was scratching my head too.

Did not listen to the album but that single nanananananannana is not making me want to
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2011, 03:21:51 PM »

Did not listen to the album but that single nanananananannana is not making me want to

Ha! Same reason here. Hehe.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2011, 07:56:26 PM »
Arg, its an article about the upcoming Grammy's , heres the jist

"On the hard rock category, he said: "I think Stone Temple Pilots is a definitive band. The whole grunge scene for me was made up of Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam & Soundgarden. Talking about Stone Temple Pilots' new record, I think its above and beyond. Although the edge is missing on the this particular track that's been nominated, I'm sure the entire album might surely be brilliant. As I already said that the Grammys are made up of Industry peers, so maybe that's the reason why STP have watered down the song. And this watering down might be the reason they might have gotten the nomination. Their lyrics used to be more abstract.""

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2011, 08:05:13 PM »
was stp mentioned few years back in some comedy tv-series, I remember someone posting about it..something like "get me Stone Temple Pilots", "they are broken up", "so get them back together!" am I trippin', what was this?

That sounds really familiar, but I have no idea what it's from. :/

I'm pretty sure that was on their first Kimmel show when they first got back together

That would have been oscar-nominated screenwriter Aaron Sorkin's short-lived 3rd television series Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

I have heard this too.  Funny, I wouldn't know these guys from Adam (what does that phrase mean, anyway?  I'll have to look it up.).  However, my gf and I see semi-celebs every so often at Disneyland, and two times ago she pointed out that the two guitarists from this band (both are on the cover of Guitar World coming up) were a few people ahead of us in line at the Haunted Mansion with their wives/gfs and I believe a kid or two.

This may sound douchie, but the girls were not what I was thinking rock stars could get.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2011, 05:29:04 PM »

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2011, 06:08:07 PM »

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »
Ok, this is very random, look under 'Rockin Venus'

http://inventorspot.com/articles/venus_de_milo_armed_and_fabulous_thanks_japans_2channel

Random but very cool nonetheless. Nice.

Ugh, but they said "The" Stone Temple Pilots.  That drives me crazy. 
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Aylin

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Whadayawannano?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2011, 02:13:19 AM »
Ok, this is funny, I just downloaded the audio for a Jeff Buckley Live Acoustic Show that he did in the early 90s at Sproul Plaza.

Some of you may know that I love Jeff Buckley.  This makes it all the more shocking for me.

It's a 37min recording of Jeff and his guitar in a small venue, where he talks between songs, tunes his guitar, general chitter chatter, you can hear police sirens in the background etc....it's a very intimate gig (like the Sin-é gigs he used to do).

So, you can imagine me: kicked back, lit a cigarette, listening to one of my favourite vocalists.  All is good in my world.

And then....

After he sings Lover You Should Have Come Over, he stops between songs and starts playing around on his guitar and then he says "Yeah we're gonna punk out man....do that alternative thing"...

And then he starts playing Plush!  But in a mocking way!  And he doesn't know the words or guitar chords, but he imitates Scotts voice (you know the one from THAT era) and sings something like "way to go with the punk you found....And I know when the bums begin to smell her...they'll be choking on some coffee ground".
The crowd laugh.  Then he says thank you and goes into his next song.

I found this so weird.  Like Jeff Buckley came back from the dead to make fun of my favourite band!  I know Buckley used to dislike all the popular bands in that era (he used to make fun of Counting Crows Round Here - another of my favourites - but that's understandable because, well, it's Counting Crows).  But mocking Plush surprised me.  Don't know why.

Maybe you all know this and I'm just being a spaz, or maybe you don't care, but I just wanted to share :)

So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2011, 03:11:21 AM »
Ok, this is funny, I just downloaded the audio for a Jeff Buckley Live Acoustic Show that he did in the early 90s at Sproul Plaza.

Some of you may know that I love Jeff Buckley.  This makes it all the more shocking for me.

It's a 37min recording of Jeff and his guitar in a small venue, where he talks between songs, tunes his guitar, general chitter chatter, you can hear police sirens in the background etc....it's a very intimate gig (like the Sin-é gigs he used to do).

Never heard this one, thanks for the heads-up. I bought one of the Sin-E compilations for my brother a few years back, listened to it a bunch first (as you do), liked the guy but not crazy about him.

After he sings Lover You Should Have Come Over, he stops between songs and starts playing around on his guitar and then he says "Yeah we're gonna punk out man....do that alternative thing"...

And then he starts playing Plush!  But in a mocking way!  And he doesn't know the words or guitar chords, but he imitates Scotts voice (you know the one from THAT era) and sings something like "way to go with the punk you found....And I know when the bums begin to smell her...they'll be choking on some coffee ground".
The crowd laugh.  Then he says thank you and goes into his next song.

I found this so weird.  Like Jeff Buckley came back from the dead to make fun of my favourite band!  I know Buckley used to dislike all the popular bands in that era (he used to make fun of Counting Crows Round Here - another of my favourites - but that's understandable because, well, it's Counting Crows).  But mocking Plush surprised me.  Don't know why.

I'm willing to bet JB knew next to nothing about STP. He was a guitar school shredhead who suddenly broke out, discovered his voice and went way overboard on being deep & meaningful. He could & should have been great and I'm certain he would be a big STP fan if he was around now. For certain, the world wouldn't understand him any better than it does them.

Aylin

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Whadayawannano?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2011, 11:35:26 AM »
I'm willing to bet JB knew next to nothing about STP. He was a guitar school shredhead who suddenly broke out, discovered his voice and went way overboard on being deep & meaningful.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on this!  He wasn't just a guitar school shredhead who discovered his voice...he worked really hard before making it big to be able to create different sounds, different to the sounds that were being played at the time.  He studied lots of different types of music, almost obsessively.  He created all the music himself, recording all the parts in his house, and then teaching them to his band. He taught himself how to play everything. His voice was secondary to all this....he always said his voice shouldn't define him.  He was never entirely happy with anything he did, and it took him a long time to break out because of it. 
I can understand people not liking his deep and meaningfulness, but the one thing that has to be respected is his obsession for music and creativity.  His biography is a good read BTW, I'd recommend it..!
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade