September 19, 2024, 06:41:24 PM

Author Topic: 2009-07-19 - Columbia, MD - Merriweather Post Pavilion  (Read 10425 times)

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2009-07-19 - Columbia, MD - Merriweather Post Pavilion
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 03:54:55 AM »
Ss
Wg
Vaso
Be
Lounge fly
Aa
Intro, sg
Creep
Crackerm
Plush
Ils
7ct
Stripper jam, down
Stt
Sin
Unlued
Encore
D&b
Trip

that's the setlist. In parking lot

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 04:00:25 AM »
Traffic sux. Weiland got his grill fixed and only smoked 1 cig. Down was highlight. Weiland was well spoken, short and healthy. All smiles. They look to be having a great time. More later

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 05:12:47 AM »
I almost forgot they played transmissions from a lonely room. Lie.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 05:16:48 AM »
gotta get to sleep so i'll post more later but tonight was fucking amazing. no doubt one of the best nights of my life. stp was just soooo goddamn good
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Silvergun132

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 06:40:04 AM »
The concert was indeed amazing; Weiland was in top form - yes, he was all smiles as was the rest of the band.  Very tight playing and the crowd was really into it.  I hope to post a more extensive review tomorrow if I have time.  I gotta say Plush was a highlight for me, always been on of my favs, but Down and Sex Type Thing were killer as well.  One of the best concerts I've seen.  Here's to hoping for a kick-ass new album!!

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 03:18:16 PM »
Tired, so tired... but ok here's my official full review:

The band was awesome. I felt like Eric faded a little bit at the tail end of the show, but overall everyone was on point. Robert was the most flawless all night. Dean was solid but he kind of messed up on the Sour Girl solo - wasn't his best effort. Other than that solo he played great. He was more active than usual, maybe even more so than Robert. Scott was pretty active the first three songs, and then really faded from an energy standpoint. He was on point all night lyrically.

Things I noticed:

-A few songs were played VERY slow. Vasoline was the slowest I've ever heard it. Very deliberate and NASTY. For them to keep it that slow and still play it tight was impressive. The tempo was KILLER. The first 3-4 songs they were on FIRE, prime STP.

-Scott's voice was excellent. 10 times better than last year, and better even than the solo tour. Whatever he did, he's back vocally. 100% there.

- Sour Girl vocally was the one song that suffered.

- Trippin was probably the worst performance. They messed up the tempo a couple times and couldn't keep it tight. Eric struggled through it a little bit, and Scott went into "hold me closer closer let me go" in the first chorus instead of "so keep your bankroll". Too bad, that was his only screw up all night.

- All 4 guys were very happy. Robert especially seemed to be having fun. There were ties where Dean would catch fire - he really played fantastic and was all over the place with energy. I saw Scott smile several times.

- I don't know if we've talked about this or not but Scott's tooth is fixed, and he had short black normal looking hair.

- I saw Scott smoke just one cigarette the whole show. Big change from the VR days, maybe the band is stressing him out less :)

- Dean kissed Scott on the mouth as they came back for the encore. Slightly disturbing and slightly funny to see them back to their homoerotic ways.

- Down vocally, musically and all of the above was just nasty. Completely nasty. A+

- Silvergun Superman was a close second. Disgusting.

- The intro to sour girl was a cool little riff by Dean. Didn't recognize it as a cover, so maybe a lick from the new album???

- As documented by everyone else, Scott's energy is low. At times he looked very tired and rough in his face. It never affected his vocals - which were excellent all night. I'm a big critic of how he sounds and he was truly awesome. My buddy made a good point that "compared to any other singer he's on par or better from an energy standpoint, but for him it's not crazy enough". I will say when he talked in between songs, while brief, he did not stutter or have any of the "uhms and uhhhs". Very clear speaking and concise.

Overall a terrific show and MUCH MUCH better than the two shows I saw last year (Virgin Fest and Voodoo Fest) which were both decent in their own right. Honestly the only thing that separates now from their prime is Scott's energy, because if you close your eyes the whole band and Scott sound as good or better.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 03:26:49 PM »
Quote from: "JugeSTP"

The band was awesome. I felt like Eric faded a little bit at the tail end of the show, but overall everyone was on point. Robert was the most flawless all night. Dean was solid but he kind of messed up on the Sour Girl solo - wasn't his best effort. Other than that solo he played great. He was more active than usual, maybe even more so than Robert. Scott was pretty active the first three songs, and then really faded from an energy standpoint. He was on point all night lyrically.

Things I noticed:

-A few songs were played VERY slow. Vasoline was the slowest I've ever heard it. Very deliberate and NASTY. For them to keep it that slow and still play it tight was impressive. The tempo was KILLER. The first 3-4 songs they were on FIRE, prime STP.

-Scott's voice was excellent. 10 times better than last year, and better even than the solo tour. Whatever he did, he's back vocally. 100% there.

- Trippin was probably the worst performance. They messed up the tempo a couple times and couldn't keep it tight. Eric struggled through it a little bit, and Scott went into "hold me closer closer let me go" in the first chorus instead of "so keep your bankroll". Too bad, that was his only screw up all night.

- All 4 guys were very happy. Robert especially seemed to be having fun. There were ties where Dean would catch fire - he really played fantastic and was all over the place with energy. I saw Scott smile several times.

- I don't know if we've talked about this or not but Scott's tooth is fixed, and he had short black normal looking hair.

- I saw Scott smoke just one cigarette the whole show. Big change from the VR days, maybe the band is stressing him out less :)

- Dean kissed Scott on the mouth as they came back for the encore. Slightly disturbing and slightly funny to see them back to their homoerotic ways.

- Down vocally, musically and all of the above was just nasty. Completely nasty. A+

- The intro to sour girl was a cool little riff by Dean. Didn't recognize it as a cover, so maybe a lick from the new album???

- As documented by everyone else, Scott's energy is low. At times he looked very tired and rough in his face. It never affected his vocals - which were excellent all night. I'm a big critic of how he sounds and he was truly awesome. My buddy made a good point that "compared to any other singer he's on par or better from an energy standpoint, but for him it's not crazy enough". I will say when he talked in between songs, while brief, he did not stutter or have any of the "uhms and uhhhs". Very clear speaking and concise.

Overall a terrific show and MUCH MUCH better than the two shows I saw last year (Virgin Fest and Voodoo Fest) which were both decent in their own right. Honestly the only thing that separates now from their prime is Scott's energy, because if you close your eyes the whole band and Scott sound as good or better.

Awesome review Juge!  I've never heard of Eric struggling live, that is definitely a new one, but I know you know music performances well, so I believe you.  Very happy to hear again that Scott sounds so good.  

One cig per show is definitely a big change from a while back.  He was chain smoking in VR, and I know when I saw Scott in January (solo) he was smoking quite a bit then.  Maybe he is trying to cut back.  One can hope.  

Also, what is your take on the new additions (Sour Girl and 7CT)

Anyway, thanks again for the review bud.

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 04:37:06 PM »

Those are the sweetest!  :-*
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 07:19:29 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"

Things I noticed:

Awesome review Juge!  I've never heard of Eric struggling live, that is definitely a new one, but I know you know music performances well, so I believe you.  Very happy to hear again that Scott sounds so good.  

One cig per show is definitely a big change from a while back.  He was chain smoking in VR, and I know when I saw Scott in January (solo) he was smoking quite a bit then.  Maybe he is trying to cut back.  One can hope.  

Also, what is your take on the new additions (Sour Girl and 7CT)

Anyway, thanks again for the review bud.

I wouldn't say Eric was struggling live. As you know D&B and Lounge Fly are probably the toughest sounds both from a tempo and skill standpoint to play, and he owned both. Big time. Trippin was just a shit show from minute one. I blame the rhythm section in general for not keeping it tight, but they just didn't synch up on it. Eric maybe looked like he was getting a little tired. It was the last song of their last show on the tour and I think it was a little bit mailed in - they didn't end with a bang. They started it really fast and tried to go almost half tempo into the chorus. I get what they were trying to do, but it was poorly executed. So it's not like they just went through the motions, they were attempting something cool and they just didn't nail it. They did the opposite with Vasoline, starting off INCREDIBLY SLOW and it was masterful. I just though towards the end Sin and Unglued didn't have the kind of pocket and thump we're used to from Eric. Then he got back to amped up for D&B, and then Trippin just kind of happened.

I mean look these are fine points and I dont want to come off sounding negative. You know I look at these things closely and I'm a little bit of a music snob - I want to be clear the show was amazing and everyone was great. I think I could find something that could be slightly improved with the best STP show of all time. I just think there's been times where I think Dean has been the best, a lot of times in 2001-2002 it was Scott, Eric has always been solid - but tonight I felt like the most flawless was Robert and to me that was great to see. We're talking about very minor mistakes by 4 guys I consider some of the best musicians in the world and because of that I hold them to VERY high expectations. I want to be clear they were great. I enjoyed last year and they were MUCH MUCH better. The band was so tight, I really don't see a big difference from when the band was firing on all cylinders during the post jail release #4 tour (other than Scott's onstage energy).  

As for the new additions, Sour Girl was weak. Besides Trippin the worst performance, I thought. Scott didn't sound superb and it was just bleh. 7CT was awesome. Truly great. Dean played a pristine solo and owned that song. Scott sounded perfect. The execution of that song and the tone of the guitar Dean brought onstage had that Tiny Music artsy shrine vibe to it. To be honest I'm surprised they don't play it more live because it was terrific. If I could make one edit to their set I'd want Meatplow played over Army Ants.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 07:46:59 PM »

As for the new additions, Sour Girl was weak. Besides Trippin the worst performance, I thought. Scott didn't sound superb and it was just bleh. 7CT was awesome. Truly great. Dean played a pristine solo and owned that song. Scott sounded perfect. The execution of that song and the tone of the guitar Dean brought onstage had that Tiny Music artsy shrine vibe to it. To be honest I'm surprised they don't play it more live because it was terrific. If I could make one edit to their set I'd want Meatplow played over Army Ants.

Sorry I meant to ask your opinion of Army Ants and 7CT, but mistakenly referred to Sour Girl and 7CT.  So anyway, what was your opinion of Army Ants?  Sounds like you weren't a big fan if you're calling for Meatplow (which I consider to be a little bit dull of a song, personally) over Army Ants.

I know that you, like myself, have some musical inclination and an ear for what the people playing instruments on stage are sounding like too.  I'm a bit of a snob too, so thats the reason I am very curious about your opinion.  

Anyway, thanks again man!

Silvergun132

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 08:36:38 PM »
Wow, great review Juge.  Pretty spot on.  I thought Army Ants kicked serious ass, but I also felt that Sour Girl was a bit lagging in areas.  It seemed as if the tempo was off, similar to that of the Trippin' performance.  Seven Caged Tigers was excellent though and a highly welcome addition; no one around me knew what the hell it was though  :-

I was only able to snag some shitty cell phone videos.  I hope we get some nice youtubes soon.  I still can't get over how stellar Scott sounded on Down.  Oh, and Silvergun has got to be one of the best openers ever.  Having that riff bounce through your chest is almost surreal.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 09:06:27 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"

Sorry I meant to ask your opinion of Army Ants and 7CT, but mistakenly referred to Sour Girl and 7CT.  So anyway, what was your opinion of Army Ants?  Sounds like you weren't a big fan if you're calling for Meatplow (which I consider to be a little bit dull of a song, personally) over Army Ants.

I know that you, like myself, have some musical inclination and an ear for what the people playing instruments on stage are sounding like too.  I'm a bit of a snob too, so thats the reason I am very curious about your opinion.  

Anyway, thanks again man!

Sure thing! My reviews aren't for everybody, glad someone likes them! Army Ants was pretty good. To be honest, I thought the intro was rushed. I don't know if you remember the old shows where they'd use the Army Ants intro to Down and they'd do it super slow, dramatic, drawn out and more of a build up. I've actually got a couple recordings of old school Army Ants performances from the Purple tour - and same thing. For whatever reason Dean played it like you hear it on the album, which was fine, but pretty straight forward and was a little disappointing to me because there was less anticipation for that heavy hitting monster riff coming out of the silent pause. Once it kicked into the main riff they were tearing it up for sure. Dean did a good job on the solo. It was great to hear again after all this time, but 7CT was a more enjoyable listen. And honestly the long jam at the end of Lounge Fly is a tough act to follow. Man Weiland was hitting all the notes which was really surprising to me - even 7CT and Army Ants which are very hard songs to sing. I can honestly say the only time I thought "eesh" about his voice the ENTIRE show was Sour Girl. Last year on Kimmel i thought "eesh" at least 7 times during just Vasoline :)

For me the top 5 listens were:

1. Down
2. Silvergun Superman
3. Lounge Fly
4. 7CT
5. as much as I hate to say it, Creep was killer

of course the usuals STT, Plush, ILS were all solid too.

Mabby

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/mattmabe
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 09:14:45 PM »
Sour Girl's been weird since they've come back.

They've been playing it tuned down either a half step or a whole step.

But as strong as Scott's singing has been lately, they should play it in the normal key I think.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 09:17:17 PM »
Quote from: "Mabby"
Sour Girl's been weird since they've come back.

They've been playing it tuned down either a half step or a whole step.

But as strong as Scott's singing has been lately, they should play it in the normal key I think.

yup, agree with everything you said

stillremaining

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 03:03:32 AM »
Nice review Juge. I give the overall show an A, the band sounded great and the visuals on the screen were amazing. The performance of Down was one for the ages.. whereas Sour Girl was missing something. I was in the back of the pit so I wasnt able to see exactly what was going on at all times but the band was excellent last night. They played extended versions of songs, Robert was full of energy, and Deans absolutely shredded his guitar. Scotts voice was in top form and even though he was dressed nice, he looks very worn through the eyes. It was really cool to watch him dance when Robert and Dean were playing for a minute. Awesome time!