September 17, 2024, 07:35:46 PM

Author Topic: 2009-07-01 - West Hollywood, CA - House Of Blues  (Read 28922 times)

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: An Honest Review
« Reply #210 on: July 06, 2009, 09:12:45 PM »
first, in my opinion, this is one of the most interesting dialogues regarding STP since they announced they were reforming.

reunion vs. comeback?  hmm

the reunion last year was really nice.  it was as if they were touring behind Thank You.  they're setlist, though, has always been a point for debate.  

most people want to hear the hits.  my 2 cents is they should be mixing in their catalogue.  there's no reason why they continue to play the same songs over and over and over.  to not play any songs from SLDD is criminal.  core's a great album, but c'mon.  we've been hearing core for over 15 years.  

I'm not sure they're primed for a comeback.  I think they're capable, but not sure it would be in the band's best interest to become Green Day.  There's nothing wrong w/ touring making some good $$$ and having a good time.  STP deserves to enjoy themselves after years of so much scorn.

STP is not reuniting because they did this last year.  They're not coming back either.  I think they're just existing and enjoying themselves.  Not making any huge plans to set them up for dissapointment.  Just being a viable touring band.

BTW, the show at the HOB was as good as it gets.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 06, 2009, 09:32:22 PM »
This reviewer is obviously someone who hasn't seen Scott in quite some time. He's been gradually toning down his act since 2006. In Scott's own words, "There's going to come a time when I'm not going to feel very comfortable on stage in skinny jeans and boots, doing this thing. I want to evolve gracefully and more realistically.''

Is it really all that big a deal when a guy who reinvents himself every 5 years doesn't go on stage with the persona he had 10 years ago? He's singing tracks like Unglued and Seven Caged Tigers as well as he did 10 years ago and he's still got enough charisma to blow away the crowd. I'm pretty sure that's all that matters in the end.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 06, 2009, 10:46:43 PM »
Quote from: "Blue"
This reviewer is obviously someone who hasn't seen Scott in quite some time. He's been gradually toning down his act since 2006. In Scott's own words, "There's going to come a time when I'm not going to feel very comfortable on stage in skinny jeans and boots, doing this thing. I want to evolve gracefully and more realistically.''

Is it really all that big a deal when a guy who reinvents himself every 5 years doesn't go on stage with the persona he had 10 years ago? He's singing tracks like Unglued and Seven Caged Tigers as well as he did 10 years ago and he's still got enough charisma to blow away the crowd. I'm pretty sure that's all that matters in the end.

very well said. And yeah, getting a little taste of what's to come would be ideal, can't disagree with that, but it's not a dealbreaker. I'm not utterly disappointed by the fact that we've gotten nothing to this point. I think it's safe to say that if they didn't play anything new at the first two shows, we can expect no "new music" for the length of this mini tour.

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 06, 2009, 11:03:53 PM »
I'm not sure they're primed for a comeback. I think they're capable, but not sure it would be in the band's best interest to become Green Day. There's nothing wrong w/ touring making some good $$$ and having a good time. STP deserves to enjoy themselves after years of so much scorn.

I completely agree.  I just think if they really are going to release a new album at the end of the year, they should play one of the new songs.  However, maybe you have it right.  STP may just want to have a little fun and make some money.  It's possible that they want to finish another album or two just to fill their obligations to Atlantic, and the band isn't too passionate on the idea of a full scale comeback.
Sin make me strong.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 07, 2009, 04:40:26 AM »
being Greenday has nothing to do with that, you can be the same band without all that shit and still be on top of your shit, i dont think the industry cared much unlike they did for recent reunions like motley crue and as far as their "best interest" goes.......they need to stop playing their greatest hits, they know what the fans want, they read this fuckin threads!!! and if Scott's voice is an issue tune fuckin down!! VR did it! and the info on that new album is pretty uninspiring....they write the music and send it to me?!?! thats the shit i pull with my band when i cant fucking stand them, what about write together?!?!?! and when it comes to Scott on stage.....his age has nothing to do with it!, Tyler has been on heroin for years and even had recent to rehab for it yet he still moves around and so does Jagger, but again i dont give a shit if Scott doesnt monkey around im fine with all of it i just hope to see the band playing a decent show not scott falling or being incoherent and forgetting lyrics not even that as much as hearing the same stupid fuckin setl list i mean robert saying theyre gonna pick up where they left and playing more songs from SLDD ahh whatever im done ranting STP enjoy my money i'll see u in a couple of weeks.
If you only knew..

UnclePeppi

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 07, 2009, 05:10:59 AM »
Quote from: "VelvetLounngeFly"
being Greenday has nothing to do with that, you can be the same band without all that shit and still be on top of your shit, i dont think the industry cared much unlike they did for recent reunions like motley crue and as far as their "best interest" goes.......they need to stop playing their greatest hits, they know what the fans want, they read this fuckin threads!!! and if Scott's voice is an issue tune fuckin down!! VR did it! and the info on that new album is pretty uninspiring....they write the music and send it to me?!?! thats the shit i pull with my band when i cant fucking stand them, what about write together?!?!?! and when it comes to Scott on stage.....his age has nothing to do with it!, Tyler has been on heroin for years and even had recent to rehab for it yet he still moves around and so does Jagger, but again i dont give a shit if Scott doesnt monkey around im fine with all of it i just hope to see the band playing a decent show not scott falling or being incoherent and forgetting lyrics not even that as much as hearing the same stupid fuckin setl list i mean robert saying theyre gonna pick up where they left and playing more songs from SLDD ahh whatever im done ranting STP enjoy my money i'll see u in a couple of weeks.

dude that was beautiful. i especially liked the comment about the guys writing the music and sending it to weiland. spot on.

UnclePeppi

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 07, 2009, 06:30:54 AM »
Quote from: "UnclePeppi"

dude that was beautiful. i especially liked the comment about the guys writing the music and sending it to weiland. spot on.

And before anyone says "it's how they always did it".....we are fully aware that the deleos write most of the music and weiland writes most of the lyrics.....but it's the way he said it...it did not sound like a collaboration. they used to talk about spending time in the studio together, etc. just youtube stp's version of the beetles' revolution and check out how they are working together in the studio.

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 07, 2009, 06:39:59 AM »
God this gets so old the more I hear it.

And Im gonna be nice (or try to). Im keeping the momma bear at bay. You all know I get defensive about Scott.

But honestly, so what if hes not doing the same shit he use to do?? Hes not taking his shirts off, hes not dressing in the flag with nothing on but his socks anymore... Hes not the same man he once was. He doesn't WANT to be the same man he use to be. You're talking about a guy who changes his hair styles & fashion all the time.

He doesn't WANT to be Tyler or Jaggar!! Hes SCOTT WEILAND!!! Hes his own person. He does what he feels like. Im gad hes not swirling around all over the stage like he was last year, homie fell down at almost EVERY show I saw!! Thats gotta hurt. He's not a teen. Maybe he figured out he feels less effects of pain when he DOESNT fall down.

I think that doing the solo tour gave him a chance to chill out. And hes just carrying that over still to the STP tour. He didnt do crazy antics durring that tour... I don't recall hearing complaints really. Just cuz its STP, doesnt mean he has to fly around the stage. He's 41!!

And personally... Im just fucking thankful that this man is STILL ALIVE!!! Still alive and not strung out. Still alive & not in jail for getting caught trying to by dope. Or for being on parole & doing something dumb. HE's still alive & not all fucked up like say Steven Adler is.... He's able to go out and play. He still WANTS to play. He's showing up on time & not holding a show up for a hour or so at a time.... If he was not with us anymore, we'd all say we'd take him toned down as long as we GOT him!!! So stop being so picky & be grateful that we get him at all.

He is my favorite singer and I'd take him in a wheelchair singing if need be. If it means hes alive. So I could care less if hes not as theatrical as he was years ago. Boo fucking hoo!! I'll take what I get & I'll be god damned happy about it. And I AM!!!

And I bet the fans that are across the world who have NOT gotten to see STP yet, would be fucking happy as clams to get what we are getting. So stop being such whiney little bitches about this & feel lucky you get what you're getting at all!!! Cuz I know people who would gladly trade places with any one of us who are getting to see them and not complain he isn't as crazy as he once was.

UnclePeppi

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 07, 2009, 06:54:12 AM »
dude it goes without saying that we're happy stp is together.

that doesn't mean we can't point out that as a live act, they were much stronger when weiland had the stage presence that he had between 1999 and 2002. it wouldn't be such an issue if he wasn't as amazing as he was during those years. he set the bar extremely high and i feel like anyone who comes out from an stp show now and says it was the greatest show of their life would have absolutely gone nuts at an stp show in weiland's prime. it's not even close....just youtube rolling rock and you'll see what an stp show at their prime looked like.

UnclePeppi

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 07, 2009, 06:58:22 AM »
let me repeat.....this would not be an issue if 1999-2002 weiland did not exist. the fact that he did makes us really sad that it's gone. he was utterly unbelievable live during those years. how he was able to prowl across the entire stage and still hit the notes was almost impossible, but he did it. night after night. they absolutely anialated the chilli peppers on that tour. i'll bet rhcp didn't even want to go out on stage after stp was through with that crowd.

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 07, 2009, 09:10:04 AM »
Are you saying that, on stage, Scott is half the man he used to be?   :D  jk sorry.   I'm sure some if it had to do with drugs then, and there was probably other things that went on with it too.  At least now Scott seems healthy and is touring pretty consistently.   I like mellow STP, and Scott doesn't have to jump around the stage like he did 10 years ago, or in the beginning of VR.  Robert still has great stage presence too.

Also, Scott has been touring almost nonstop for the last few years.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #221 on: July 07, 2009, 03:14:52 PM »
Quote from: "UnclePeppi"
they absolutely anialated the chilli peppers on that tour. i'll bet rhcp didn't even want to go out on stage after stp was through with that crowd.

I remember that tour. They absolutely blew the RHCP out of the water. That was my first STP experience, and I saw them two more times during what you call Weiland's prime years of 1999-2002. He was unbelievable. The show at the Riv in Chicago remains one of my favorite concerts of any artist ever. His stage presence was off the charts. I will also be first to admit that I was disappointed when I saw them last May in Chicago. I thought Weiland looked stiff and apathetic. Blame it on his cold, the weather, whatever it was, I left feeling empty. One of my favorite frontmen did not perform up to the standards that I saw during those years.  However, when I saw him last December on his solo gig, he was moving around better and sounded better too. Did it compare to his prime years? Probably not. Was I happy to see him moving around healthy and happy? You damn right I was. Especially for a guy that's been performing non-stop for over a year, I thought he did fine.

It probably is a good idea for Scott not to be running around like a maniac and throwing his arms around like a fool. Anyone can do that really. It's ironic that you bring up Steven Tyler because Aerosmith had to postpone more dates AGAIN because Steven hurt himself AGAIN. It's too bad because Brad Whitford was coming back this week and it is more then likely that they were going to bust out the Rocks album in their set.

As long as Scott looks healthy and sounds great, I won't complain. Hell, you guys are gonna hear Army Ants and Seven FREAKIN Caged Tigers. Enjoy that you lucky bastards.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 07, 2009, 03:25:18 PM »
and im not saying he should be like back then i was just saying that his age has ntohing to do with it he just chooses not to and i cant say he's his own man cuz the man has ripped more than freakin weird al but he still my favorite and an incredible musician! and you know why?

SCOTT WEILAND THE MELODY MAN, IF HE CANT SING IT NO ONE CAN!!
If you only knew..

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 07, 2009, 03:54:34 PM »

That argument can be made without involving Fred Durst. It gives it less credibility  ;D

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #224 on: July 07, 2009, 05:03:38 PM »

Hey! That's my line!
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..