September 17, 2024, 07:39:55 PM

Author Topic: 2009-07-01 - West Hollywood, CA - House Of Blues  (Read 28925 times)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2009-07-01 - West Hollywood, CA - House Of Blues
« Reply #195 on: July 05, 2009, 07:45:57 PM »
I dare say this is there best show since the reunion. Scott is on FIRE.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 05, 2009, 10:32:43 PM »
I posted 13 pics from my phone at the Vegas show in the Vegas thread, just fyi....

and thanks for the mp3s, they sounded REALLY good in Vegas too.

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 06, 2009, 01:47:05 AM »
After listening to recording of the concert which is awesome!!

Scott sounds on top of his game, doesn't sound drowsy and non coherent which is good things for STP and us adoring fans.
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

UnclePeppi

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
An Honest Review
« Reply #198 on: July 06, 2009, 06:43:34 AM »
I think this is probably a very accurate review of the benefit show. I agree Weiland is not the showman scene-stealer he was in the 90s (as this article points out). He is oddly stiff now on stage when he used to absolutely torch the arena.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090704/en_ ... c_pilots_2

Marsbars

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: An Honest Review
« Reply #199 on: July 06, 2009, 06:53:07 AM »
well hes 41 come on
cause the world is colorblind

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 06, 2009, 07:17:04 AM »
They're gonna complain about the arm flailing and the spinning in circles, and they're going to complain that he no longer dances all over the stage.

That's what a critics job is, to criticize. Or is it to critique? I don't know. Nevermind.
Bleeda blooda

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 06, 2009, 07:28:19 AM »
Quote from: "UnclePeppi"
I think this is probably a very accurate review of the benefit show. I agree Weiland is not the showman scene-stealer he was in the 90s (as this article points out). He is oddly stiff now on stage when he used to absolutely torch the arena.

He's off coke now, so that explains a lot of it. That, and the anti-depressants.

Like I said in another thread, I'll take a less-hyper Weiland if it means he's clean.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 06, 2009, 07:31:03 AM »
Obviously, he is different onstage now than he was.

Just like his looks, though, his stage persona has changed.

However, each "era" was marked by lots of activity, and this era seems to be the first to be subdued.

I am not sure AGE has to do with it, per se.  I mean, Mick Jagger's pretty active today.

We're not sure what it is, but as long as he is healthy, and sounds good, I am happy.

UnclePeppi

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 06, 2009, 03:04:31 PM »
Quote from: "Fear 2 Stop"
Quote from: "UnclePeppi"

He's off coke now, so that explains a lot of it. That, and the anti-depressants.

Like I said in another thread, I'll take a less-hyper Weiland if it means he's clean.

I completely disagree. The No.4 era (199-2001) is when he was clean and sober (and ripped) and he was was the most aggressive he's ever been on stage during that time.

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 06, 2009, 04:00:03 PM »
He is older now...and this was the first show.  As the tour continues there will be more energy!  I will let you know after i see them tomorrow night =)
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 06, 2009, 05:25:27 PM »
This is simple: as more you get as more you'll complain...
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 06, 2009, 06:23:24 PM »
seriously guys, come on! He sounds about 100000 times better than he did at this time last year. We're lucky we're even getting STP at this point because the band was basically left for dead when Thank You was released and Scott joined VR. The band wasn't even on speaking terms. Time ALWAYS brings change. Scott isn't jacked like he was in the late 90's and the meds have clearly mellowed him out significantly. It is what it is and I think it's unrealistic to expect him to revert back to the way he was 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure we're all different than we were 10 years ago too. Maybe it makes for a less entertaining show, but I think the shows I've heard so far on this run sound MUCH better than this time last year. So we're seeing improvement out of Scott and that should be encouraging to everyone. They're also mixing in some rare gems in the setlist that haven't been heard live in over 12-13 years in some cases. We're not getting the "Thank You" greatest hits setlist tour all over again. And we're likely headed towards a new album. COME ON! Gotta take the bad with the good!

WhenTheItchGetsBad

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 06, 2009, 07:11:29 PM »
You can't hate on the dude for actually giving an honest opinion. The other reviews I've read were full of "AMAZING THIS!" and "INCREDIBLE THAT!". That's just cock teasing the fans.
For those of us that have tickets to later shows on this tour, it's nice to know what to expect. I'm not asking for STP of old, I'm just asking for STP. Last year's reunion show was somewhat of a let down for me because I was expecting "STP of old". Had I not been, I would've been incredibly pleased with the show, rather than walking out with a sinking feeling of disappointment. At least this particular review isn't biased, and offers everyone who reads it a realistic view of what you're going to get.
This reviewer is right, with all of this talk about a new STP record, I was expecting to hear at least a taste. I'm not even asking for a whole complete tune, just send my ears in the general direction. Dean's lame cop-out excuse of "The songs aren't ready yet" is utter bollocks. How can you possibly know if it's actually ready until you get a crowd reaction from it? I don't care if it's not cut and recorded in the studio, and I don't care if it has some things to be worked out. All I hear from Weiland is that they have 18 or however many songs ready to record, then Dean is saying they're not ready to be played? Hmmmm...
Come on guys, we got the greatest hits set last year, give us something to get the saliva in our mouths going for new material. More than that, shut up all of the skeptics who still wonder if this supposed new album is really as far along as the claim it to be.
But seriously, enough with the "Thank You Tour" set list already. You look at everyone on this message board, and all of our favorite songs tend to be the lesser known tunes, and we're the fucking die hard fans for fuck's sake! We're the ones putting money in their pockets, so we're the ones who they should be listening to! Sure, we want "Sex Type Thing" and we want "Trippin'", and we all know somewhere in our heart of hearts that we all get at least a little hard for "Plush", but as STP fans for the last umpteenth years, we also want to hear those little gems that the radio fans wouldn't know if it bit them in the ass ("Glide", "And So I Know", "I Got You", "No Way Out", "Hello It's Late", etc.).
The reviewer was right, there's a fine line between comeback and reunion, and STP is walking a tightrope between the two. I'll go to Mohegan on the 17th, I'll enjoy myself, but in the back of my mind I'm still going to be wondering "What's REALLY next.."
Bees Only Thrive When The Honey\'s There.

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 06, 2009, 08:05:29 PM »
I thought it was a good, fair review.  The reviewer wasn't kissing STP's ass, and he didn't blindly hate on them.  

The No.4 era (1999-2001) is when he was clean and sober (and ripped) and he was was the most aggressive he's ever been on stage during that time.

I totally agree.  Scott was much better in 2000 than he was when I saw STP in '94 and on tour last year.  I still think Scott is still way better than most frontmen, but it will be hard for him to top his form during the No. 4 era.  He was just outstanding then.

Ignoring minor differences in Scott's performance- I think the reviewer was absolutely right about STP walking a fine line of reunion and comeback.  STP needs to pull out a new song or two soon and add it to the set.  If they wanna lean on stuff from Core and Purple, fine, but they gotta throw in some new stuff to generate some excitement and buzz around the band if they're really serious about this comeback.  Last year was cool, but they gotta switch gears this year.
Sin make me strong.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 06, 2009, 08:48:17 PM »
Scott's voice may be a little worse for wear, and he may not dance around the stage as much, but he's still an excellent singer and frontman. I've taken a total of 10 different people to VR/STP/SW shows, and every single person I went with was blown away by him, and thought he was completely awesome, even when none of them showed any interest when I'd play one of their songs in the CD player.

If you're reviewing, you're focusing on the good and the bad, and if you go to a show and only focus on the good things, that's all you're going to notice. And you're going to have a good time.

Yeah, Scott dances crazier when he's got chemicals flowing through his veins, and he needs to quit smoking cigarettes to help preserve his voice, but very few entertainers will leave you feeling the way you feel after seeing Scott Weiland perform on stage.
Bleeda blooda