September 28, 2024, 10:33:30 PM

Author Topic: I miss Velvet Revolver and Audioslave  (Read 13807 times)

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I miss Velvet Revolver and Audioslave
« on: May 11, 2009, 03:06:00 AM »
It was a great time when both those bands existed in my opinion! I know it seems like most people on this forum have a extremely x infinity strong hate for the rest of the VR guys. I really don't. I loved when Scott would dress up in that get up he had with the suit and hat he wore...don't really know what to call it but you all know what I mean. He had this aggressiveness in that band that I don't really see in Scott anymore. I guess he is more toned down now in his "solo" days. I recently saw that performance they taped in Houston. Wow...they were on top of their game. Vr's music is so nasty and in  your face! I loved it! I loved the 2nd album as well. You can see them really heading in a great direction and so much potential was there. Of course yes I have been a STP fan since the early Core days and I love my STP. But if VR were still around, rocking out and making albums with Scott as the lead, I wouldn't mind one bit!
       Audioslave! 3 great albums! Loved each and every one of them! Of course Chris left the band shortly after the third album was released. Once again hardcore Soundgarden fan but I think Audioslave was a total powerhouse and we all knew that as well. You couldn't beat those guitar solos from Tom Morello. Classic! It was a dream come true for those guys to be jamming together along with Chris Cornell! They could have gone further along too with many more albums. I'm sure they could have punched out many more hits as well. I love Cornell's solo stuff including this newest material as well but yes if Audioslave were around still I know they would be tearing it up like no other! Two great bands that I wish were still around. Yah I guess I can settle for some new STP! lol Also you never know maybe Cornell could get back together with Soundgarden. It could happen! Basically it's great to have two great talented rock stars alive today! Both different in their own ways, Scott Weiland and Chris Cornell!

O0

WhenTheItchGetsBad

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: I miss Velvet Revolver and Audioslave
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 03:19:27 AM »
Quote from: "Virgojams"
It was a great time when both those bands existed in my opinion! I know it seems like most people on this forum have a extremely x infinity strong hate for the rest of the VR guys. I really don't. I loved when Scott would dress up in that get up he had with the suit and hat he wore...don't really know what to call it but you all know what I mean. He had this aggressiveness in that band that I don't really see in Scott anymore. I guess he is more toned down now in his "solo" days. I recently saw that performance they taped in Houston. Wow...they were on top of their game. Vr's music is so nasty and in  your face! I loved it! I loved the 2nd album as well. You can see them really heading in a great direction and so much potential was there. Of course yes I have been a STP fan since the early Core days and I love my STP. But if VR were still around, rocking out and making albums with Scott as the lead, I wouldn't mind one bit!
       Audioslave! 3 great albums! Loved each and every one of them! Of course Chris left the band shortly after the third album was released. Once again hardcore Soundgarden fan but I think Audioslave was a total powerhouse and we all knew that as well. You couldn't beat those guitar solos from Tom Morello. Classic! It was a dream come true for those guys to be jamming together along with Chris Cornell! They could have gone further along too with many more albums. I'm sure they could have punched out many more hits as well. I love Cornell's solo stuff including this newest material as well but yes if Audioslave were around still I know they would be tearing it up like no other! Two great bands that I wish were still around. Yah I guess I can settle for some new STP! lol Also you never know maybe Cornell could get back together with Soundgarden. It could happen! Basically it's great to have two great talented rock stars alive today! Both different in their own ways, Scott Weiland and Chris Cornell!

O0

Yeah man, I'm with you on VR.
I can't say the same for Audioslave, not a big Cornell fan (LOVED his solo album though.............. ;) ).
You never know what could happen with VR though. Never stop hoping for that reunion, because it could be more likely to happen than a lot of people seem to think.
Bees Only Thrive When The Honey\'s There.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 11:26:46 PM »
I loved VR and thought that the music was terrific. I thought that Scott and his style looked like crap throughout most of it though.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

andrewivanhayes

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.visualmediatrade.com
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 01:11:20 AM »
BOTH of them were great bands in my opinion...

ironically, their last albums were their best and were not promoted AT ALL... which led to less than desirable SoundScan sales...

it's quite sad actually... they both could have been legendary rock bands (in my mind they already are though)

in AudioSlave's case, the fact that they chose not to tour that album, along with the creative differences (and CC's emerging solo projects) were the nail in the coffin..

in VR's case, the clashing egos were the downfall in the end... at least we have a pro-shot video recording of their 2nd to last show ever: http://db.etree.org/myshows_detail.php?showid=8095615

MC.

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 03:27:03 AM »
I wouldn't say I miss VR, I mean the music was pretty good, but it didn't really compare to STP and I preferred alot of Scott's solo music to them.

Audioslave on the other hand, is one band I truly miss. But at least we have Cornell's solo work...

ht

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 03:55:49 AM »
I like STP and Scott's solo work more than audioslave, i was never a big Audioslave fan the only thing that attracted me to it was Chris voice
If you only knew..

zjt228

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 04:16:34 AM »
I miss VR's live shows.  That show they did here at the Fillmore Detroit in January '08 was incredible, so much tension provided for an intense show.
6/4/08 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore (Red Wings win the Cup); 7/7/09 - Lansing, MI - Common Ground Festival; 8/19/10 - Grand Rapids, MI - Deltaplex; 8/26/10 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre; 4/20/11 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore; 8/18/12 - Pontiac, MI - Silverdome

The Action Girls

• The ORIGINAL Melody Man
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Is she fighting for air?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
I, for one, do not miss Velvet Revolver. Contraband was good and this may just be me, but VR seemed like a complete gimmick.

That said, I welcome a Velvet Revolver reunion anyday. Can you guess why?
Back for another one

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 08:11:29 AM »
Well Scott being sober and being the best rock to hit mainstream in while was a great gimmick...not to mention the live shows.
If you only knew..

Ivy

• Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 08:46:41 AM »
Quote from: "The Action Girls"
I, for one, do not miss Velvet Revolver. Contraband was good and this may just be me, but VR seemed like a complete gimmick.

That said, I welcome a Velvet Revolver reunion anyday. Can you guess why?

We get it, you like another certain band. Enough with it already. Now let's get back to the topic which doesn't pertain to another band but only to VR.
Have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 02:31:20 AM »
Honestly, I do miss VR. However, I miss STP more so if having back VR means no more STP? Then, well, you get the picture.

VR live was absolutely awesome and Contraband was definitely a good album that I still listen to.

Audiodslave was ok. First album was good. Second was ok and I didn't really like much of the third. I wish I could have seen them live to make a better overall statement on them, but for the most part, I think I can live without them being together. Soundgarden on the other hand.........................
adhesive love

oldleadbelly

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Theory on why VR is having trouble replacing Scott
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
I know when the two parties split there was a lot of "Scott is irreplaceable" etc., but I believe this is actually true in one regard.  Not because he is a dynamic frontman, there are others who command a stage.  Not because he is the greatest lyricist of all time, I love him, but there are other talented songwriters for sure.  The reason Scott is irreplaceable is because his voice is extremely unique.

Ask yourself this:  Have you ever heard someone do a cover of a Weiland song and it not sound weird?  More so than almost any other modern rock vocalist, Scott's songs sound quite strange when he doesn't sing them.  Scott doesn't have the greatest voice in the world, but it is definitely uniquely him.

I think VR's comments back this up.  They said they have been close to having a singer several times.  They said they even wrote and rehearsed with several guys, but in the end something just didn't click.  I think the problem arises when they start rehearsing the old songs, and the VR guys hear what every one of us has heard in the past when someone other than Scott sings his songs...it just doesn't sound right.  Dave even alluded to this last month in his interview when he said getting rid of Scott seemed like the right move at the time.  If they are going to keep the name VR, then they have to playthe old songs.  More and more this looks like a lost cause.

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Theory on why VR is having trouble replacing Scott
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 07:03:31 PM »
I find it funny that they REALLLY genuinely thought they could find someone.

Thats what egos do for you. You can't think or see straight. You think you're right, and you may not be.

I loved VR. But I Loved VR for the dynamic of the group, the electricity that would ooze from that stage. But honestly, 95% of the reason I even gave a rats ass in the beginning is cuz my STP singer was in the band.

Take him out of the band, and I have no need to see VR again. Im not a chick who gets into a drummer or a guitar player. If the singer is not someone I dig, I can't see myself forking over hard earned cash to go stand on my feet for hours & deal with drunk people for a have ass singer.

No thanks. I have better things to do with my time & money. And I find it very funny that one of my VR friends who has always been a HUGE Duff fan... has now slowly come to be a big big Scott fan. She dug STP, so its not like she din't KNOW Scott, but to hear her say "F Duff for ditching Scott", is pretty funny to me.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 07:27:02 PM »
and now the standard has been set.  scott is a rockstar.  they will not find anyone else who compares.  they may get one of these other guys that's been floated about, but they'll go through one cycle w/ this person and call it a day.  the reason they broke up was because VR wasn't financially viable anymore.  that's it.  the 2nd album didn't sell very well and their live gigs were at 1500 capacity venues that they had trouble filling.  the band ran its course.  although, it would be really cool for them to do a single or soundtrack every once in a while.  but other than that...........

Silverman Supergun

• Thetan level 7
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 07:43:53 PM »
I have broken down the theory of difficulty replacing Scott to an equation:

No Scott + A year and 1/2 later + Nobody gives a shit anymore = No potential income
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes cause I walked too softly.  But in my defense, he was a Macho Pendejo.