September 19, 2024, 07:32:09 PM

Author Topic: 2009-07-17 - Uncasville, CT - Mohegan Sun Arena  (Read 9520 times)

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2009-07-17 - Uncasville, CT - Mohegan Sun Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009, 10:34:54 PM »
one thing i hate and i think everyone will agree is switching freaking guitars for every fuckin song! lol when they kicked in with unglued (not sure if it was unglued, pretty sure though) without dean switching was fucking great just a blast out of nowheres! it would have been really cool if they did it for more songs.

great show better than last years mohegan which was dreadful.
If you only knew..

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2009, 10:52:23 PM »
Quote from: "VelvetLounngeFly"
one thing i hate and i think everyone will agree is switching freaking guitars for every fuckin song! lol when they kicked in with unglued (not sure if it was unglued, pretty sure though) without dean switching was fucking great just a blast out of nowheres! it would have been really cool if they did it for more songs.

Well thing is, some guitars are tuned differently, and set up differently, and some just sound different.

In the studio, you would probably be shocked at how many different guitars and amps make it onto an STP record.

Live, it is easier to get away with less, but sometimes, it is still necessary.

For example, songs where Dean uses a Les Paul (what you mostly seem him with) can be split into two different tunings: Dropped-D, and Standard.  That is the reason for the switch.  In some ways, it is actually quicker to change guitars than retune, though that is debatable.  However, tuning to Dropped-D could also change the guitars intonation slightly, meaning it would have to be set up a little bit differently to optimally reproduce the notes.

Further, a 3rd Les Paul is used for Big Empty, because the strings are set up much higher off of the guitar's fretboard to allow him to use the slide cleanly.  This guitar also has a special strap which holds 3 slides, this way he can discard them and quickly finger the chords during the chorus, then pull another one out of the strap when it is time to go back to playing slide.

For Creep and Sour Girl--I haven't tested this theory, I am just assuming--one is tuned a half-step down to Eb (E-flat), the other to standard tuning.  The reason for the difference is that Sour Girl can be played in a lower key (which is easier for Scott to sing live) than the album version, but allow Dean to use the exact same fingering--unlike piano, where he would have to use different fingering to compensate for a new key, he can retune the guitar completely to accomplish this.  I know for a fact that Sour Girl is tuned down half a step.  What I have not tested, however, is whether Creep, is still in its original key.  I can only imagine in MUST be.

The reason for the PRS guitars is that there are two outputs--one from the electric guitar pickups, which goes through his amplifier set up, and another from a special pickup located in the bridge, which makes the guitar sound like an acoustic guitar.  This output goes directly to the PA system.  This gives the sound of both an electric guitar AND acoustic guitar playing at the same time.

Next, Lounge Fly is an the most interesting tuning, open D minor.  This means that, unlike the standard tuned guitar, when the guitars open strings are all played together, it sounds a D minor chord (a standard tuned guitar, if I remember correctly, played the same way, sounds an E minor 11 chord).

As a side note, in 2002, I noticed Robert using an actually 12-string acoustic guitar on a stand to play the bridge part in Lounge Fly.  This year, he using a Line 6, I assume their Variax model, which is a 6-string, but can simulate the sound of a 12-string.

Finally, Seven Caged Tigers is performed on a standard tuned guitar.  Both Lounge Fly and Seven Caged Tigers are played live on Fender Telecasters.  The difference between these guitars and Les Paul guitars are vest, but for our purposes, I will tell you it is mainly the pickups.  Les Pauls use humbucking pickups, Telecasters use single-coil pickups.  Humbucking pickups sound heavier and darker, single-coils are somewhat thinner, brighter, and kind of "hollow" sounding.

Even though Vasoline was recorded with a Telecaster, he plays a Les Paul live for it, probably because it makes the song heavier live, which it is.  However, to stay truer to the "feel" of Lounge Fly and Seven Caged Tigers, he probably chooses to use the Teles.  I cannot tell you whether Seven Caged Tigers was recorded with a Tele or not (for example, Too Cool Queenie was recorded on the album with a 50's-era Fender Stratocaster--also with single coil pickups--but he played it live with a Tele).  I never see Dean onstage with a Strat, so I can only assume, as a fellow guitarist who has played live shows, that Dean either likes the way Teles feel on him versus Strats when playing live, or likes the way they sound better using his amplifier rig, or both.

Anyway, I get what you mean about the flow, but there is definitely a method to the madness.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2009, 11:14:24 PM »
Quote from: "lovemachine97"

Well thing is, some guitars are tuned differently, and set up differently, and some just sound different.

In the studio, you would probably be shocked at how many different guitars and amps make it onto an STP record.

For example, songs where Dean uses a Les Paul (what you mostly seem him with) can be split into two different tunings: Dropped-D, and Standard.  That is the reason for the switch.  In some ways, it is actually quicker to change guitars than retune, though that is debatable.  However, tuning to Dropped-D could also change the guitars intonation slightly, meaning it would have to be set up a little bit differently to optimally reproduce the notes.

Further, a 3rd Les Paul is used for Big Empty, because the strings are set up much higher off of the guitar's fretboard to allow him to use the slide cleanly.  This guitar also has a special strap which holds 3 slides, this way he can discard them and quickly finger the chords during the chorus, then pull another one out of the strap when it is time to go back to playing slide.

For Creep and Sour Girl--I haven't tested this theory, I am just assuming--one is tuned a half-step down to Eb (E-flat), the other to standard tuning.  The reason for the difference is that Sour Girl can be played in a lower key (which is easier for Scott to sing live) than the album version, but allow Dean to use the exact same fingering--unlike piano, where he would have to use different fingering to compensate for a new key, he can retune the guitar completely to accomplish this.  I know for a fact that Sour Girl is tuned down half a step.  What I have not tested, however, is whether Creep, is still in its original key.  I can only imagine in MUST be.

The reason for the PRS guitars is that there are two outputs--one from the electric guitar pickups, which goes through his amplifier set up, and another from a special pickup located in the bridge, which makes the guitar sound like an acoustic guitar.  This output goes directly to the PA system.  This gives the sound of both an electric guitar AND acoustic guitar playing at the same time.

Next, Lounge Fly is an the most interesting tuning, open D minor.  This means that, unlike the standard tuned guitar, when the guitars open strings are all played together, it sounds a D minor chord (a standard tuned guitar, if I remember correctly, played the same way, sounds an E minor 11 chord).

As a side note, in 2002, I noticed Robert using an actually 12-string acoustic guitar on a stand to play the bridge part in Lounge Fly.  This year, he using a Line 6, I assume their Variax model, which is a 6-string, but can simulate the sound of a 12-string.

Finally, Seven Caged Tigers is performed on a standard tuned guitar.  Both Lounge Fly and Seven Caged Tigers are played live on Fender Telecasters.  The difference between these guitars and Les Paul guitars are vest, but for our purposes, I will tell you it is mainly the pickups.  Les Pauls use humbucking pickups, Telecasters use single-coil pickups.  Humbucking pickups sound heavier and darker, single-coils are somewhat thinner, brighter, and kind of "hollow" sounding.

Even though Vasoline was recorded with a Telecaster, he plays a Les Paul live for it, probably because it makes the song heavier live, which it is.  However, to stay truer to the "feel" of Lounge Fly and Seven Caged Tigers, he probably chooses to use the Teles.  I cannot tell you whether Seven Caged Tigers was recorded with a Tele or not (for example, Too Cool Queenie was recorded on the album with a 50's-era Fender Stratocaster--also with single coil pickups--but he played it live with a Tele).  I never see Dean onstage with a Strat, so I can only assume, as a fellow guitarist who has played live shows, that Dean either likes the way Teles feel on him versus Strats when playing live, or likes the way they sound better using his amplifier rig, or both.

Anyway, I get what you mean about the flow, but there is definitely a method to the madness.

hahahah yea i completely understand the whole deal, i'm a musician myself theres plenty of guitarist that use different shit in the studio but you can also do the same thing with a good soundboard, i think it's cool that he wants to emulate his studio sounds but let's just blame the roadies taking forever LOL, it was funny cuz one of them hugged dean cuz he knew he took long and dean did like this  you broke may heart motion with his hands lol
If you only knew..

detomaso

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2009, 02:25:49 AM »
Found this, by coincidence, the other day: "Compared to many lead guitarists, The Edge is known for using many more guitars during a show. According to his guitar tech Dallas Schoo, a typical lead guitarist uses four or five different guitars in one night, whereas The Edge takes 45 on the road, and uses 17 to 19 in one 2.5-hour concert. He is estimated to have more than 200 guitars in the studio." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Edge

The delays between songs Friday night were minimal compared to last year's STP show.

WhenTheItchGetsBad

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2009, 03:01:11 AM »
Quote from: "detomaso"
The delays between songs Friday night were minimal compared to last year's STP show.

YES.
Last year it was literally at least 30 seconds to a full minute between songs.
This year's show was FAR superior to last year's in just about every way. And Velvet, I remember when Dean had that little moment with the roadie. Did you notice all that little shit here and there that Dean added to each song? Very cool.

Very interesting about The Edge, too. I saw this documentary about U2 on tour during the Dismantle era, and they showed under the stage before the show. Now keep in mind this is when U2 was doing that massive circle stage that Bono would run around and shit. Practically the entire inner circle was a wall of Edge's guitars. I'm not a huge U2 fanatic, but I really dig the Edge's style. Simplistic, but driving the point home. Much in the ways of Johnny Marr, he's an atmospheric guitarist rather than a showcase guitarist.
Bees Only Thrive When The Honey\'s There.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2009, 08:19:05 AM »
Quote from: "lovemachine97"

hahahah yea i completely understand the whole deal, i'm a musician myself theres plenty of guitarist that use different shit in the studio but you can also do the same thing with a good soundboard, i think it's cool that he wants to emulate his studio sounds but let's just blame the roadies taking forever LOL, it was funny cuz one of them hugged dean cuz he knew he took long and dean did like this  you broke may heart motion with his hands lol

Sweet, man.  I didn't mean to talk down to you, then ;-)

Just based on the original post, I figured I'd educate :-)

cagedtiger1640

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 02:18:28 PM »
FYI - I saw dean play a strat when him and Rob did that small tour backing up joe walsh.

anSTPfan

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
[YouTube] STP - Mohegan Sun Arena - 7/17/09
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 06:59:25 PM »
these guys where f'ing awesome at this show, holy shit!! And the crowd totally all got together and sang out when Scott told them to take the vocals, STmotherf'ingP BABY!!!

here's a few links to the songs they played at the show (wish to God i could have been there):

Wicked Garden
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-XpMn9gkzE

Creep
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVHNP5f5IOs

Down
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNAMG18C1Sc

Sin
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwP_HvkCQK4

Sour Girl
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRBfmUv583s

Vasoline
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brOW04O0Mgs

Dead and Bloated
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv34queDl60

Crackerman
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kjklgpyFlg

-to youtube this  show yourself, just type in: Stone Temple Pilots Mohegan Sun Arena July 17th, 2009

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Grab the hate and drown it out...