September 20, 2024, 12:02:58 AM

Author Topic: The Softdrive Show  (Read 14982 times)

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Softdrive Show
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2009, 05:53:31 PM »
Quote from: "Lazy Divey"
Arg and I just got done with it!   :P
Sorry  :)
Anyway, post you rip out there. Maybe yours is better than mine.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2009, 05:55:46 PM »
Hehe it's no big.

NakedFountain

• And I think I think too much
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Bi Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2009, 06:42:28 PM »
Quote from: "Shangri"
Quote from: "Aaron"
What the hell is that song at 2:12??  Sounds great!

That's Waiting for a superman! Flaming Lips' cover, see why I want an mp3  :D

Yeah, I really want one too!
"I wanna drink from your naked fountain
I can drown your sorrow"

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2009, 07:17:47 PM »
wow at 3:30 it reminds me of no. 4 era scott!!

He looks like he is doing great and that is a great sign!!

Happy that he is doing well!
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »
The bongo guy looks bored as hell.

And it's unique to see scott use the megaphone sitting down lol
Grab the hate and drown it out...

emerick55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2009, 10:01:58 PM »
This performance is the best I've heard out of his live stuff which is on youtube currently - no question.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2009, 04:28:06 PM »
so he's gone back to the Bowie hairdo huh?

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2009, 06:26:40 PM »
Hey guys, I finally took the time to read through this whole thread. No sure how I missed all this, I sure had a lot of catching up to do. Here's an opinion I just thought I'd share about Scott:

I'm actually really encouraged with what Doug said regarding Scott. Hey, he's probably going to be talking like that and looking lethargic for the rest of his life. At least he's looking out for his health. If the guy has come to the realization that he can't control his mania episodes and non medicated living without turning to drugs/heroin etc... then going on meds is DEFINITELY the lesser of two evils. Maybe we'll never see the Scott we loved back in 1999 again, but at least we stand a better chance of not seeing the 1997 Scott again. If Scott has made a full commitment to medicating himself for his mental condition, it's going to take time to get used to the meds. They effect everyone differently, and it's often a lifelong struggle of playing with doses, med types, time of the day you take it etc etc etc... It's going to be several adjustments for Scott, and he may never get his routine down perfectly. I think we should be thankful that he's taking his health seriously and that he's making an effort to stay away from drugs. Good for him. Now if he could just stop sucking down tobacco :)

I'm sure this is a decision Scott has struggled with his entire life. Many times he made a decision against medicating. I remember a quote in the shangri-la era where he said he made the decision not to, and he struggles with the consequences... because the meds made him feel out of touch and catatonic. Well, maybe he's now decided that the consequences of being off meds aren't worth it anymore. You have to respect that decision he made because it's not an easy one in the least. Scott knows all to well how it makes him sound/come off, but he's decided he's more likely to stay away from drugs this way. Hey, I applaud him for staying committed to this route, it's definitely worth a try since he clearly can't permanently stay off hard drugs when not medicated. The news Doug shared with us is good stuff.

I think the possible consequence for US as fans is we may suffer from Weiland being more lethargic onstage, vocal struggles, out there music ideas etc. I think the STP album will suffer from him being on medication. My take is I'm ok with that. Scott gave us fantastic music for so long and really spoiled us. I'd rather him out there making B- music (which by the way is A compared to anyone else) than dead. If he lives a longer life for his kids and we don't get as good of music because of it, so be it. He's enriched my life enough to this point that I'd be ok with him on the decline. That's the problem with diehard fans, they always want more! I think I've decided I'm going to appreciate anything I get from Scott, and be happy for him if he's truly off drugs because that is more important than me enjoying his music. I've already done that plenty and he deserves to get healthy. Our happiness as fans is a small price to pay compared to the experiences Scott will enjoy spending a longer life with his kids. I'm just going to support him and hope he sticks to the meds, even if he remains this spacey.

ps, Matt Sorum is still a POS. Just thought I would remind everyone.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2009, 08:19:21 PM »
Quote from: "JugeSTP"
I think the possible consequence for US as fans is we may suffer from Weiland being more lethargic onstage, vocal struggles, out there music ideas etc. I think the STP album will suffer from him being on medication. My take is I'm ok with that. Scott gave us fantastic music for so long and really spoiled us. I'd rather him out there making B- music (which by the way is A compared to anyone else) than dead. If he lives a longer life for his kids and we don't get as good of music because of it, so be it. He's enriched my life enough to this point that I'd be ok with him on the decline. That's the problem with diehard fans, they always want more! I think I've decided I'm going to appreciate anything I get from Scott, and be happy for him if he's truly off drugs because that is more important than me enjoying his music. I've already done that plenty and he deserves to get healthy. Our happiness as fans is a small price to pay compared to the experiences Scott will enjoy spending a longer life with his kids. I'm just going to support him and hope he sticks to the meds, even if he remains this spacey.

I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time.

I think Scott on the anti-depression meds is a good thing for exactly the reasons you said.  He is watching his health and well being.  It unfortunate that the side effects for him are so severe, but really, if he's healthy, I can deal with the "umms" and "uhhs".  The only part that sucks about it though, is people are going to keep comparing him to someone like Ozzie, saying that the drug abuse fried his brain, when really its the exact opposite.  

As for the second part, I disagree a bit.  I dont think Scott or his music is on the decline at all.  His voice has gotten better now that he's had some rest (and also probably gotten off the Affrin).  His performance while not as energetic as 1999-2007 Scott, are still pretty damn solid, maybe a bit more subdued, but then again the music on this solo tour is more subdued too.  I didnt make it to the STP reunion tour due to a full wedding schedule last summer, so I can't comment on his performance style for then.  Really though, I think Happy in Galoshes is positively fantastic.  I mean, dont get me wrong, there are a few things I would change (namely axe-ing "Fame", "Blister..." and "Hyper Fuzz..." off the track listing) but all in all I think Scott and Doug created a really FANTASTIC album.  

The days of STP ruling like Purple-era are done.  The days of getting albums like Purple are probably long since past too.  But really, do we really want Core II or Purple II?  I for one do not.  I want music that matures with me and that I continue to relate with as I get older (and as Scott/Doug/STP gets older).  Don't get me wrong, I think all of STPs albums are classics, especially Purple and Tiny Music, but I dont want to do any of that again.  I want the band and Scott solo to continue to evolve and produce great music, even if it doesnt sell well or garner mass media attention.  I think Scott's music will continue to evolve and grow for the rest of his career.  With the exception of No.4 it is my opinion that each STP album has really built on the lessons of the last one.  Much of the same for Scott's solo.  12BB was great, but Happy is even more dynamic and versatile.  

I can't wait to see what is next, regardless of whether it is STP, Scott Solo, etc.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2009, 09:45:28 PM »
I think he has it in him to make a great album. I love Libertad and Happy In Galoshes, but anyone can admit that Scott writes his absolute best songs with STP.

I noticed that he is dancing a lot more on stage. Less standing in front of the mike than most of the STP tour last year.
Bleeda blooda

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2009, 10:40:56 PM »
he did but that was a long time ago and A LOT of shit has happened so we'll see how everything works with his writing in STP we know Happy is by far the most personal he's been.
If you only knew..

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2009, 10:56:01 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"
I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time.

I think Scott on the anti-depression meds is a good thing for exactly the reasons you said.  He is watching his health and well being.  It unfortunate that the side effects for him are so severe, but really, if he's healthy, I can deal with the "umms" and "uhhs".  The only part that sucks about it though, is people are going to keep comparing him to someone like Ozzie, saying that the drug abuse fried his brain, when really its the exact opposite.  

As for the second part, I disagree a bit.  I dont think Scott or his music is on the decline at all.  His voice has gotten better now that he's had some rest (and also probably gotten off the Affrin).  His performance while not as energetic as 1999-2007 Scott, are still pretty damn solid, maybe a bit more subdued, but then again the music on this solo tour is more subdued too.  I didnt make it to the STP reunion tour due to a full wedding schedule last summer, so I can't comment on his performance style for then.  Really though, I think Happy in Galoshes is positively fantastic.  I mean, dont get me wrong, there are a few things I would change (namely axe-ing "Fame", "Blister..." and "Hyper Fuzz..." off the track listing) but all in all I think Scott and Doug created a really FANTASTIC album.  

The days of STP ruling like Purple-era are done.  The days of getting albums like Purple are probably long since past too.  But really, do we really want Core II or Purple II?  I for one do not.  I want music that matures with me and that I continue to relate with as I get older (and as Scott/Doug/STP gets older).  Don't get me wrong, I think all of STPs albums are classics, especially Purple and Tiny Music, but I dont want to do any of that again.  I want the band and Scott solo to continue to evolve and produce great music, even if it doesnt sell well or garner mass media attention.  I think Scott's music will continue to evolve and grow for the rest of his career.  With the exception of No.4 it is my opinion that each STP album has really built on the lessons of the last one.  Much of the same for Scott's solo.  12BB was great, but Happy is even more dynamic and versatile.  

I can't wait to see what is next, regardless of whether it is STP, Scott Solo, etc.

I guess my point was Scott says his creativity is at it's best during the introductory phase to drugs as well as mania episodes. Clearly these drugs make him lethargic and I fear that hurts creativity. I agree with you that bi-polar meds will help his longevity and ultimately that's most important for both his music and his person, but I do wonder if it has a negative influence on his creativity. How much so remains to be seen.

Regarding Affrin - I must have missed that. That's good news. Where did you read that? Did he mention that in an interview or something? While I agree with you that Happy is a great album, I don't think you can attribute it's greatness entirely to the Scott Weiland of the last year. He's been working on that album for over 10 years, and lots of the recordings were probably done when he was at his peak in terms of songwriting/singing ability/creativity. My point is, I don't think you can take what you see on happy and assume from that that the next STP album will necessarily have the same creativity level. I definitely don't want another Purple/Core. I couldn't agree with you more on the desire for evolution... but as always there is good evolution and bad evolution. Anyway, Maybe you know more than I do about what was recorded when... but for all I know the songs you don't like on Happy were the ones recorded most recently.

I associate that stupid Bowie cut with some of the worst times in my memory of Scott Weiland (like the Jersey show I'll refrain from talking about further), and to see him come back from an extended break back with that shit... it's like, ugh, come on! Obviously I know his hair has nothing to do with his performance.

I do appreciate your take Aaron, and you've definitely given me some optimism because I respect your opinion as knowledgeable. I just fear these meds will turn his music ideas into a jumble messed and he'll be all over the place (like his current speech pattern). Again, better that than drug addiction or death...

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2009, 11:19:16 PM »
his hair focuses more on his solo work, it looks almost like the exact same hair form barbarella except blonde and we know he sees himself as bowie during berlin, now this is what he said on vh1.."Drugs can play a good part in making records..however..fast forward what ends up happening is those drugs end up wrapping up around your heart like a wet blanket so there's no longer that connection to the music"
If you only knew..

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2009, 03:52:20 PM »
I guess my point was Scott says his creativity is at it's best during the introductory phase to drugs as well as mania episodes. Clearly these drugs make him lethargic and I fear that hurts creativity. I agree with you that bi-polar meds will help his longevity and ultimately that's most important for both his music and his person, but I do wonder if it has a negative influence on his creativity. How much so remains to be seen.

Yeah I totally understand what you are saying here.  To be honest I am not sure what those bi-polar drugs are doing to him creatively.  Performance wise, he seemed as sharp as ever on this most recent solo tour, but you are correct that the bipolar meds seem to be affecting his speech.  I do feel for the guy, but I am glad he is taking care of himself.  I am also very curious what the next record he makes will sound like (be it STP or solo).  Regardless, it will be a good window into his creative writing side.  We'll get to see if he's being affected by the meds or not.  I am cautiously optimistic and think we will be pleasantly surprised again.  Plus I have great faith in Grean or the other 3 in STP to deliver top-notch material for him to lay down lyrics/music to.  We'll see what happens!

Regarding Afrin - I must have missed that. That's good news. Where did you read that? Did he mention that in an interview or something? While I agree with you that Happy is a great album, I don't think you can attribute it's greatness entirely to the Scott Weiland of the last year. He's been working on that album for over 10 years, and lots of the recordings were probably done when he was at his peak in terms of songwriting/singing ability/creativity. My point is, I don't think you can take what you see on happy and assume from that that the next STP album will necessarily have the same creativity level. I definitely don't want another Purple/Core. I couldn't agree with you more on the desire for evolution... but as always there is good evolution and bad evolution. Anyway, Maybe you know more than I do about what was recorded when... but for all I know the songs you don't like on Happy were the ones recorded most recently.
About Afrin, as someone that suffers from chronic congestion (living in Austin doesnt help) that has been on nasal decongestants and nasal steroids most his life, i know a bit about that stuff.  The Afrin insight comes from Scott's appearance on Howard Stern last year.  Not to mention I have seen Scott use Afrin on stage in some of the videos circulating from last year.  He usually had it sitting back there on the drum riser with his water/beer/gatorade, etc.  Anyway, while he was on the Stern he was talking using the nasal spray and the group talked briefly about how that shit is evil.  And believe me it is.  It can provide temporary relief, but you build up a tolerance and a physical dependency on it so quickly.  If not properly used, Afrin wreaks havoc on your nasal system.  The drug is a decongestant so what it does is shrink the blood vessels in your nose to facilitate better breathing, etc.  The problem is, the relief is temporary so even though you're only supposed to use it every 12 hours, it likely wont last that long, so people end up using it more and more.  Eventually, (and this part doesnt take long, can be as short as days or weeks) your system starts to build a tolerance and Afrin actually makes your congestion WORSE.  Because as your body adjusts to the drug, your body begins to require it for relief, so when you dont have it in your system your nose can actually pretty much close up.  

As you can imagine this really messes with a singers voice.  The causes of this are two fold:
1) The dependency means that there is actually less airflow, which will cause a person to actually sound more nasal-y.  We observed this from Scott a bit on the STP reunion tour and more so on the first leg (the 2008 portion) of the solo tour.  
2) The post nasal drip you get from this shit really goes further to destroy your voice.  Because Afrin is a nasal decongestant spray after you use it, it partially drips down the back of your throat.  Problem here, is it begins to numb some of those areas too, which means you can have some numbness in your vocal chords (which people may or may not be able to feel), however, it will make your voice weaker causing more horseness and pops/cracks/etc similar to a pubescent male.  This is because your voice is being tasked, but the necessary parts are numb.  

Anyway, while I definitely have no proof, all in all it seems pretty clear to me that Scott got off the Afrin crap during the Winter break before going back out on his solo tour this past January.  He sounded so much better than he did on that previous leg of the solo tour and on the STP reunion.  BY all accounts (including my own- I saw him in Austin in Jan) he was back to his usual voice.  I highly contribute this to him getting off Afrin.  

I associate that stupid Bowie cut with some of the worst times in my memory of Scott Weiland (like the Jersey show I'll refrain from talking about further), and to see him come back from an extended break back with that shit... it's like, ugh, come on! Obviously I know his hair has nothing to do with his performance.
Yeah, I am not a big fan of the bowie look either.  I liked his post-No.4 black spikey hair look the best.  

I do appreciate your take Aaron, and you've definitely given me some optimism because I respect your opinion as knowledgeable. I just fear these meds will turn his music ideas into a jumble messed and he'll be all over the place (like his current speech pattern). Again, better that than drug addiction or death...
Right back at ya bud.  I think highly of your opinion as well.  I think everything will work out okay with Scott.  We'll never have the STP glory days again, but honestly, I'm not really sure deep down that a lot of us really want that either.  I wish nothing but the best
for Scott and I hope he stays off illicit drugs, on the bipolar meds (hopefully they wont affect the creative side), and most importantly... OFF AFRIN! ;)

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2009, 04:26:44 PM »
Aaron thanks for the info on Afrin, very interesting. I had no idea. Sounds like it just gets worse and worse. Could definitely see how his singing would be shot from that. Based on the fact that he's definitely sounded better lately, yeah, he's probably off that stuff.