September 19, 2024, 11:32:10 PM

Author Topic: do you remember where you were 13 years ago?? 3 26 96  (Read 11701 times)

DesScorp

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
Re: do you remember where you were 13 years ago?? 3 26 96
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 05:12:38 PM »
Quote from: "Ack56"
Yeah I guess I am old.  I love to hear younger people listening to STP though.

I'm 40. Good music has nothing to do with the age of the listener.
Go straight to Hell; do not pass go, do not collect $200

Wingless Bird

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2009, 04:57:46 PM »
I was in preschool... probably napping and dreaming of the day that I would discover the wonder that is  Stone Temple Pilots  :P

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »
such a great album.

I remember hearing Brian and Joe preview the album on the day of the release on my way to school (For Clevelanders - that was back when they were on WMMS, and I believe clear channel recently cancelled their morning show on 106.5)
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 02:36:55 AM »
Actually Five Star Edge just reminded of that radio preview. 92.3 K-Rock here in NY/NJ played Tiny Music from start to finish. I remember being in my room and listening to the whole record with my brother and his buddy. Then I bought the album in the Livingston Mall when it was released on the 26th.
adhesive love

Shint

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2009, 02:55:44 AM »
Freshman in college.  Had to beg someone to drive me to Best Buy (wasn't allowed to have a car on campus).  There had been a huge snowstorm the night before.  Finally found someone to drive me, bought the cd, managed to listen through Art School Girlfriend before my first class.  I was actually disappointed with tracks 1-6 as I walked to class.  I thought the cd was a bust.  Returned from class, skipped to track 7, Trippin, and fell in love.  Honestly, it was really Trippin, Ride the Cliche (even though the band hates this song, I still think it's one of their catchiest), Adhesive and Seven Caged that won me over and kept me coming back which, in turn, made me fall in love with the rest of the cd.  

By the way, if you guys are looking for a good dose of daily humor, check out this blog...

www.shoeboxblog.com

I'm a huge fan of the funny, and this delivers.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 05:49:24 PM »
Quote from: "Five Star Edge"
such a great album.

I remember hearing Brian and Joe preview the album on the day of the release on my way to school (For Clevelanders - that was back when they were on WMMS, and I believe clear channel recently cancelled their morning show on 106.5)

Sadly - I think I also remember Brian and Joe previewing that album, while I was getting ready for school.  Damn.  Cleveland radio sucks anymore.  Although... it's nice to have an alternative station back (and no DJs!).
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

bigvin22

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »
i was 17 and loving life!

T-Bone

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2009, 08:32:48 PM »
I remember buying that cd on the day of its release at Camelot Music.  I was nearly 16 and I listened to it while my cousin drove us around town...I remember we were upset that it wasn't "heavy" enough...but now, its my favorite release.

bigemptycreep

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2009, 08:24:05 AM »
just kinda stumbled on this thread and though even though it's a couple months old I would add my own "where I was"

I was 16 and in grade 11, or as many of my American friends would say, 11th grade :P  I seem to recall tbeing most into Smashing Pumpkins new album, the HUGE double cd melancholy and the infinite sadness. I was drumming and would jam with my cousin on guitar and we'd always play bullet with butterfly wings. He now drums in an AIC tribute and I sing.

The only vivid memories I have are first sitting in front of the TV in my basement at the time and my mom telling me how that song(big bang baby) sounded like a rip off of jumping jack flash. I just remember thinking something was going on with Scott and Dean especially cuz they were freakin' weird in that video. The second most memorable, which is actually the MOST memorable for me was the first time I heard Lady Picture Show. Core and Purple are still my favorite albums, but LPS is my favorite song. Sadly, they didn't play it at Sarnia when I saw them live this past summer, hopoefully next month when I see them again they play it.

robschmidt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
I was seven years old at the time. I always knew the popular STP songs because my mom (yes my mom) is a huge 90's rock fan. I started getting into STP hardcore about four years ago. I remember vividly seeing the album of Tiny Music in my house and always finding it very strange and somewhat creepy. For some reason I remember "And So I Know" when I was seven.
--Rob--

zackrandal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 08:20:34 PM »
Quote from: "Slither"
first gradeeee hahaha.....i wouldve loved to be musically aware when all of stp's greatest albums debuted  ::)

yeah i was like three... somehow i still remember the days when "plush" was every other song played on tv and the radio but i wish i couldve been old enough to follow the band and buy their albums when they came out and stuff... i guess thats what the reunion was for

stpfreak

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2010, 07:27:59 PM »
I thought of everyone this morning since this today is the 14th anniversary of Tiny Music.  

While I posted where I was 14 years ago, I wanted to share something different this year.  In 1999 I went to Italy and spent a day in Vatican City.  You better believe I went to the gift shop.  No STP cds but I did buy a cd of the Pope singing or something.  I actually have never opened it.  

Anyone else ever do the same thing?

JohnL

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Light My Way
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2010, 09:16:27 PM »
I was rocking out to tiny music! I've bought all their albums the day it came out including core!

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2010, 09:30:57 PM »
Quote from: "johnlatham"
I was rocking out to tiny music! I've bought all their albums the day it came out including core!

Really?  :-

I just find that a little hard to believe.

ArnoldLayne

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2010, 09:42:41 PM »
I remember going to a local record shop (I guess just a few days after the release date) in the begining of April 1996. I was already familiar with the band, loved Core & Purple. The shop owner played me some samples of the songs and I remeber the pure excitement when I first heard "Trippin' a hole in a paper heart". That's when I knew I had to buy that album. It sounded so good.

Tiny Music is my favorite STP record. It's a wonderful collection of songs. Such a great variety in them and the overall production is excellent. There's a nice segment on the Thank You -dvd where they're recording "Big bang baby". Would like to see more of that!
Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
Fugazi - 2000-10-10
Stone Temple Pilots - 2001-08-21
The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24