September 19, 2024, 04:38:40 PM

Author Topic: New frontman of VR  (Read 39155 times)

AdhesiveLove27

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: new frontman
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 06:51:02 PM »
I dont think either Bach or Chris Cornell would be a suitable for VR...

The best choice is to go with someone who isn't already a big superstar..
\\\"If You Don\\\'t Stop Thinkin\\\' Soon You Will Be Drinkin\\\' And You\\\'re Better Off Just Stay

PhoenixFiles

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 07:00:41 PM »
Quote from: "justbill"
In MY opinion. I think they best change their name. . . Velvet Revolver doesn't exist anymore without Scott Weiland in the group. Unless they're going to take the Axl route, and keep the name.

I agree... it's not like VR had any recognition (in the mainstream) beyond being a STP/G'nR "supergroup" I really like a lot of their songs, but I agree with the Howard Stern crowd that nothing ever qualified as a "hit". Since it was tied to a movie soundtrack, "Set Me Free" had more potential than "Slither"...

I'll pay attention to whatever they do next, and won't be pissed if they stick with VR, but it should change.
We have art in order not to die of the truth.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

justbill

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 07:16:32 PM »
Quote from: "PhoenixFiles"
I'll pay attention to whatever they do next, and won't be pissed if they stick with VR, but it should change.

I'm not going to be pissed if they stick with the name, but it just seems abit of a disgrace or moreso a slap in the face (without sounding too harsh) to continue on with the name. . . but that's just my two cents. But these guys don't need a "big name" to suit them. They're better off with something out of the norm. . . something new, fresh, eager to play for the people, you know?
-Bill_

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 07:36:53 PM »
There is no way Cornell would accept to sing for "Velvet Revolver". No way. Maybe if they changed the name, but that is still unlikely. Sounds more like Slash's fantasy... who by the way I've lost all respect for.

Ivy

• Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 07:52:41 PM »
Quote from: "JugeSTP"
There is no way Cornell would accept to sing for "Velvet Revolver". No way. Maybe if they changed the name, but that is still unlikely. Sounds more like Slash's fantasy... who by the way I've lost all respect for.

Cornell is really good friends with VR though. He and Duff went to hs together and are really good friends. But I definitely agree with that, he seems more of a solo guy especially after how Audioslave ended.
Have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 07:58:29 PM »
Quote from: "Ivy"
He and Duff went to hs together and are really good friends.

Really?  That's interesting.  How cool would it have been to be in that graduating class?

"Yeah, I went to school with a guy from GnR and a dude from Soundgarden..."
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 07:59:51 PM »
Quote from: "FelixKönich"
i think bach could be the new VR leader

Yeah and he should rename that band SAVAGE ANIMAL.

Joshua

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 11:02:31 PM »
I keep hearing Cornell and I just can't see how that would work. Maybe if they changed their sound completely. Also how could he do the material that's already there? I can't begin to fathom what some of the songs would sound like with him singing them. Not that he isn't good...It's just not his style.

They need to find some one new. That's the best chance to succeed. I still don't think though that they will do well without Weiland. Nobody seemed to care what those guys were doing before Weiland got there.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 11:12:25 PM »
Quote from: "Joshua"
I keep hearing Cornell and I just can't see how that would work. Maybe if they changed their sound completely. Also how could he do the material that's already there? I can't begin to fathom what some of the songs would sound like with him singing them. Not that he isn't good...It's just not his style.

They need to find some one new. That's the best chance to succeed. I still don't think though that they will do well without Weiland. Nobody seemed to care what those guys were doing before Weiland got there.

Cornell is just a fan thing, fans keep bringing him up.  I'd stake money that VR will not pick Cornell, nor do I think Cornell wants to be in VR.  He wants to call the shots (nothing wrong with that) which would make him at odds with VR from the start.  Cornell is notorious for being a bit of a diva. 

I think they are mostly screwed without Weiland.  I really dont see them finding someone suitable.  My recomendation would be to accept doing a RockStar: Velvet Revolver.  The might as well just sell out all the way, I dont see this situation getting any better before it gets worse.  I think they either need a big name, or something like Rockstar to bring attention back to the band.  If they sign a no-name, no one will really care.  Not like before at least.

Despite all the words exchanged, Scott is the one smelling like roses right now, not the GnR guys.  Interesting turn of events to say the least. 

justbill

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 12:36:11 AM »
Quote from: "Aaron"
Cornell is just a fan thing, fans keep bringing him up.  I'd stake money that VR will not pick Cornell, nor do I think Cornell wants to be in VR.  He wants to call the shots (nothing wrong with that) which would make him at odds with VR from the start.  Cornell is notorious for being a bit of a diva. 

I think they are mostly screwed without Weiland.  I really dont see them finding someone suitable.  My recomendation would be to accept doing a RockStar: Velvet Revolver.  The might as well just sell out all the way, I dont see this situation getting any better before it gets worse.  I think they either need a big name, or something like Rockstar to bring attention back to the band.  If they sign a no-name, no one will really care.  Not like before at least.

Despite all the words exchanged, Scott is the one smelling like roses right now, not the GnR guys.  Interesting turn of events to say the least. 

Interesting read good sir.
-Bill_

EclecticBohemian

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 12:52:20 AM »
Quote from: "Aaron"

I agree with you 100%  I think Cornell is a mega talent, but you are correct-diva.  He and Slash would just...oooh I hate to think about it.
Know what I\'m thinking?  No?  Neither do I!  ;Þ

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 01:08:13 AM »
Quote from: "EclecticBohemian"
I agree with you 100%  I think Cornell is a mega talent, but you are correct-diva.  He and Slash would just...oooh I hate to think about it.

He absolutely is a mega talent, I love just about everything he has ever put out (except his cover of Billie Jean).

He's earned the right to be a bit elitist.  I would be interesting to have him in VR, but it would never happen, IMHO. 

BrianLev

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 01:30:40 AM »
I honestly hope they call it quits. Just out of defense of Scott, I think it'd be great if they got a new singer and the whole thing went down in flames because it doesn't compare.

justbill

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 01:42:35 AM »
Their next album will not be good anyways. . . regardless, I can picture a "Rockstar: Velvet Revolver" coming soon. . .
-Bill_

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 02:19:48 AM »
Right when Scott left I thought they'd find a new singer, but now, I doubt it.  It's not Velvet Revolver anymore, it's just the GNR guys without a singer, and they'll never get anybody as famous/talented as Weiland, and even if they did, it still wouldn't be the same band.  I think they're done and they just keep talking about "finding a new singer" to keep their names out there and act like they're still important when they're not.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11