September 27, 2024, 09:22:17 PM

Author Topic: New STP "Best of" Album?  (Read 13566 times)

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New STP "Best of" Album?
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
"Buy This", a Best Buy exclusive, comes out tomorrow (November 27th) featuring a handful of STP's biggest hits. "Buy This" features the following tracks and will be available for $5.99 beginning Friday morning.

Sex Type Thing
Wicked Garden
Vasoline
Big Empty
Sour Girl
Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart
Down
Days of the Week

"Buy This" at Best Buy
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

The Action Girls

• The ORIGINAL Melody Man
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Is she fighting for air?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
Isn't "Days of the Week" a sort of "black sheep" on that list? I'm very very surprised to see it there, seeing how the song wasn't even played during this tour (maybe once). Rhino always comes out with pathetic compilations. They've been doing it for like, 15-20 years.
Back for another one

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 05:43:37 PM »
^ well it is being released on Black Friday so ...

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 09:31:18 PM »
Similar topic.

You know those commercials for compilation albums like Monster Ballads? Well, I saw a commercial for Buzz Ballads II, which is just a collection of alternative/grunge/post-alternative ballad-like tunes. It includes bands like Fuel, Live, Counting Crows, Staind, Finger Eleven, etc. Well, 'Plush' is on the tracklisting. Thought it was interesting considering I would never consider Plush a ballad. Anthem, yes. Ballad, no.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Cucho

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.twitter.com/voxfantome
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2008, 05:07:22 AM »
I went to Best Buy to buy GN'R Chinese Democracy, when I saw this album in the new rock section. Wierd! I looked at the CD about 5 times to be sure that it was a STP release. The artwork is crap. Rhino Records WTF?!!

Anyway, I've read a some posts, and now I understand about this unofficial release. Just wanted to share my two cents about this topic since I didn't know about this 'album'.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2008, 01:47:01 AM »
It may be unofficial or whatever, but whomever operates STP's MySpace posted a bulletin telling everyone about it.

So I asked them if it was gonna count as an album for Atlantic, since it's got the Atlantic logo on it.

I don't really expect them to reply.
Bleeda blooda

stpnj2008

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2008, 01:01:45 AM »
The completist nature in me is itching to shell out the $6. It would have been cool if there was a B-Side thrown on or a new song.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2008, 02:27:38 PM »
IIRC this was also done with a sort of cheap shit AIC greatest hits album as well. Somehow some company licenses the tracks for a quick compilation at a low price point.  Also if I remember, you can find the AIC album I'm thinking of at Best Buy as well.

I'm just shocked because STP is such a big name on Atlantic that they'd let this slide into the market. Actually, I'd almost go buy it out of the possibility that it'd be yanked off the market after a low copy run....
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

TemplePilot

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2008, 07:22:30 PM »
Quote from: "stpnj2008"
The completist nature in me is itching to shell out the $6. It would have been cool if there was a B-Side thrown on or a new song.

I hear you, I did.  I have it all.  From the major releases, to the import singles, to Core/Purp/Tiny on vinyl, to tons of vinyl singles and 45s.  Even those awful STP interview discs.  It was only 6 bucks, so why not.

Also, why does everyone keep saying it's an unofficial release?  The back of the disc has the Atlantic stamp, and says Copyright 2008 Atlantic Records, and the band themselves are promoting it on their site.  Seems pretty official to me.

stpnj2008

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2008, 04:56:39 AM »
Quote from: "TemplePilot"
I hear you, I did.  I have it all.  From the major releases, to the import singles, to Core/Purp/Tiny on vinyl, to tons of vinyl singles and 45s.  Even those awful STP interview discs.  It was only 6 bucks, so why not.

That's real cool that you have the studio cuts on vinyl. I thought about picking them up on eBay, decided not to given how much they have been selling for recently.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2008, 06:53:41 PM »
Alright.  So, I should have said "other than freaks like us that need every single STP-related release, who would buy this?  Seriously?"

Looks like I missed out on that Black Friday deal.  (Did I really, though?  Risk my life shopping the day after Thanksgiving just to save $3?  Eh...)  I'll be picking this one up (and one for you and your woman, Rikster) later this week, as soon as I find some time to get my ass to a Best Buy.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
I picked it up late Saturday and took it out of the bag moments ago.
Not sure if I'll even open it, since there is nothing new on it, but I wanted it for my collection.

The cover is even worse up close. The Fleuron is pretty ghetto looking. It looks either like a half-assed woodcut or it was cut out of paper.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2008, 09:07:49 PM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"
I'll be picking this one up (and one for you and your woman, Rikster) later this week, as soon as I find some time to get my ass to a Best Buy.

Sounds like you and I need to go into exporting business together :)  

I just sent them something too :)

Thirty-Three

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2008, 10:30:59 PM »
I'll buy it if I'm in a good enough mood and if I ever see it, I'm tempted to add it to my collection. Initially I had the impression it was a live compilation, considering we already have a greatest hits.