September 20, 2024, 02:30:45 AM

Author Topic: Setlist Discussions  (Read 87740 times)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Setlist Discussions
« Reply #450 on: March 04, 2010, 09:14:45 PM »
Quote from: "VelvetLounngeFly"
I could give a shit about the hits, i would wanna at least hear at least half the new album played live.

Wouldn't it be great if they pulled a Purple and played 10 songs from the album at every show?

A man can dream...
Grab the hate and drown it out...

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 04, 2010, 09:30:07 PM »
Quote from: "Blue"
I could give a shit about the hits, i would wanna at least hear at least half the new album played live.

Wouldn't it be great if they pulled a Purple and played 10 songs from the album at every show?

A man can dream...

Or pull a Core and just play songs from the one album.  ;D

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 04, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Quote from: "STP92"

A man can dream...

Or pull a Core and just play songs from the one album.  ;D

You know what the ironic thing is? If they actually went out on a tour where they only played songs from No. 6 with a few deep cuts from SLDD and Tiny Music thrown in for good measure, after a month the same people who gripe about them only playing hits will get pissed because there aren't enough "classics" in the set.

People spent forever going on and on about how the just wanted a hand full of deep cuts in the setlist... But when they started playing Seven Caged Tigers, Army Ants, Unglued, Peice Of Pie and Sin (along with Lounge Fly and Silvergun) at just about every show, everyone still bitched about how there were too few deep cuts in the set.

The thing is, with much of this fanbase it's not about what you have, it's about what you want. If you went back to 2003-2007 and asked any STP fan if they would like to see STP back together at the cost of them mostly playing the hits, just about any fan would say yes. But somehow, now STP playing shows has become a bad thing because they refuse to pull out Adhesive or Glide.

Ok, sorry about the rant... I guess I just got myself worked up lol
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 05, 2010, 02:07:12 AM »
Quote from: "MrF33n3y"
1. Silvergun Superman (IMO, it works better as an opener than even Crackerman, despite the fact that your average fan probably doesn't know it)
2. Meatplow
3. New song
4. Coma
5. Big Bang Baby
6. Army Ants (I've been spoiled by seeing it 3 times last year, it's too good to let go!)
7. New song
8. Wicked Garden
9. Sour Girl
10. Crackerman
11. Plush
12. Interstate Love Song
13. Still Remains
14. Days Of The Week
15. Down
16. Seven Caged Tigers
17. Unglued
---encore---
18. Dead & Bloated
19. Big Empty (Would work great in the encore IMO)
20. Sex Type Thing

I think if you tossed out Coma or Days and threw in Trippin' that would probably be a setlist they would do.
adhesive love

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 05, 2010, 11:34:56 PM »
Quote from: "Casper"
Quote from: "MrF33n3y"
1. Silvergun Superman (IMO, it works better as an opener than even Crackerman, despite the fact that your average fan probably doesn't know it)
2. Meatplow
3. New song
4. Coma
5. Big Bang Baby
6. Army Ants (I've been spoiled by seeing it 3 times last year, it's too good to let go!)
7. New song
8. Wicked Garden
9. Sour Girl
10. Crackerman
11. Plush
12. Interstate Love Song
13. Still Remains
14. Days Of The Week
15. Down
16. Seven Caged Tigers
17. Unglued
---encore---
18. Dead & Bloated
19. Big Empty (Would work great in the encore IMO)
20. Sex Type Thing

I think if you tossed out Coma or Days and threw in Trippin' that would probably be a setlist they would do.

Big Empty is a great encore. I wouldn't throw out Coma cause it's really good live, but I'd probably toss Days of the Week.

jav224bmore

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 10, 2010, 11:39:53 PM »
I have seen STP live one time, which was on July 19th 2009 at Merrriweather in Baltimore, amazing show best of my life, great setlist they played songs they havent played in years, but one song i would love to see live, is Piece of Pie my fav song, i read a while ago that this was Scotts favorite song to play live but they never play it, probally beause he doesnt want to play it out, it must be a song that he really Cherishes. So whats a song by STP you would love to see live

bigemptysg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 11, 2010, 01:10:12 AM »
Transmissions From A Lonely Room
Heaven & Hotrods
No Way Out

I'm really surprised they've never played Dumb Love or Church On Tuesday live.

BrandoKommando

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 11, 2010, 01:32:20 AM »
I would love to see "No Way Out" live too.  The song is so dope, and would be
a treat to see live in concert.

-Brandon
"I was a SUPERMAN, but looks are deceiving."  - Scott Weiland

Meatplowed

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 11, 2010, 02:03:37 AM »
It's amazing after all these years that this conversation is still taking place.  I mean, we pretty much know what we're gonna get.  75% greatest hits, 20% semi-obscurities which have been played for years now, and 2 or 3 new songs if we're lucky (1-2 of which may not even be from the new album).  Once Weiland gets bored with touring, I think we're down to 1 new song.  Sad but true.  Book it.

jav224bmore

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 11, 2010, 02:51:55 AM »
well anyway forget the negativity from some people, i like every STP song, so it  wouldnt bother me if they played songs from just 1 of their albums, i'd still have a good time

BrandoKommando

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 11, 2010, 03:19:45 AM »
True dat.
"I was a SUPERMAN, but looks are deceiving."  - Scott Weiland

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #461 on: March 11, 2010, 05:01:03 PM »
You know what the ironic thing is? If they actually went out on a tour where they only played songs from No. 6 with a few deep cuts from SLDD and Tiny Music thrown in for good measure, after a month the same people who gripe about them only playing hits will get pissed because there aren't enough "classics" in the set.

No band is going to go on a world tour and NOT play some hits. It would be a dumb move. However, STP will now have six studio albums under their belt. It is not necessary to play EVERY SINGLE HIT from each album, especially since they have been staples in your setlist for the last 10-15 years. There are a few that I would deem irreplacable I suppose (Plush, ILS), but it wouldn't hurt to take out Vasoline one night and replace it with Tumble in the Rough for example. I can understand playing to casual fans at festival shows, but when you are doing a your own tour, the die-hard fans will come out more so then casual fans, especially in these tough economic times. Some random Joe isn't going to pluck down $60+ to see a band that they are only casually interested in, unless they have money to burn or have no responsibilities at home. (ie, a parent or homeowner)
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

emerick55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 12, 2010, 12:10:21 AM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"

No band is going to go on a world tour and NOT play some hits. It would be a dumb move. However, STP will now have six studio albums under their belt. It is not necessary to play EVERY SINGLE HIT from each album, especially since they have been staples in your setlist for the last 10-15 years. There are a few that I would deem irreplacable I suppose (Plush, ILS), but it wouldn't hurt to take out Vasoline one night and replace it with Tumble in the Rough for example. I can understand playing to casual fans at festival shows, but when you are doing a your own tour, the die-hard fans will come out more so then casual fans, especially in these tough economic times. Some random Joe isn't going to pluck down $60+ to see a band that they are only casually interested in, unless they have money to burn or have no responsibilities at home. (ie, a parent or homeowner)

I think they have to play 10 or so songs no matter what every concert, (as you said ILS, plush, etc).  However, the remaining should consist of changing up the songs and new songs and/or covers.  I saw them live twice in '08 and they played the exact same setlist both times, and while they sounded beyond amazing both performances, I was left wanting to hear just one or two new songs after the end of the 2nd performance that I hadn't heard previous concert.  Seeing the exact same show no matter how good the sound is does get somewhat "stale", in my humble opinion.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 04, 2010, 10:00:29 PM »
Anyone suprised that DOWN has been dropped.  Thats a staple song and one of there best recieved live tunes

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 04, 2010, 10:21:17 PM »
I like Down, but I've seen it live 4 different times, so I don't really mind.

In fact, I wouldn't really mind if they dropped all of their singles and just played the most obscure stuff. Ain't never gonna happen!
Bleeda blooda