October 04, 2024, 12:28:22 AM

Author Topic: Setlist Discussions  (Read 89446 times)

detomaso

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: The 2008 Setlist
« Reply #180 on: June 03, 2008, 12:34:58 AM »
Quote from: "southern bound"
This is my first post, been checking this board for years, but have never posted.

Anyway, back to the subject here. I believe Robert, Dean, and Eric have had every intenetion of changing the setlist, but it seems to me that these are the songs that Scott is comfortable with. Especially after hearing that he doesn't attend rehearsals. If he's having a hard time remembering the lyrics for the hits, do you think he's know the lyrics to the songs they've never performed live before? The Deleo's said they rehearsed 36 songs for this tour, they're ready to go with those 36. From all the reviews i've read, it seems Robert, Dean, and Eric are the ones who seem really tight as a band.

Back between 2000-2002, I use to get really frusterated with the greatest hits setlist, but I now believe that was all due to Scott. Somehow, I believe he has the final say in what goes into the setlist. This is all my opinion.

Yup. If the lead singer doesn't like to rehearse, you can't expect him to know songs they don't play often.

But, in their defense, I will say this. People on this board are their most fantical fans. But we do not represent the 10,000 to 15,000 per night they need to sell out arenas. Those mainstream, more casual fans want the hits. A successful show for the majority of fans is a Greatest Hits show. If STP (or any band) plays a bunch of unfamiliar songs, the bandwagon fans head for the concessions and the bathrooms. Let's face it, we all do it when other (less important to us than STP) bands play that unfamiliar stuff at their shows.

Brad

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 03, 2008, 12:35:10 AM »
This is my first post, been checking this board for years, but have never posted.

Anyway, back to the subject here. I believe Robert, Dean, and Eric have had every intenetion of changing the setlist, but it seems to me that these are the songs that Scott is comfortable with. Especially after hearing that he doesn't attend rehearsals. If he's having a hard time remembering the lyrics for the hits, do you think he's know the lyrics to the songs they've never performed live before? The Deleo's said they rehearsed 36 songs for this tour, they're ready to go with those 36. From all the reviews i've read, it seems Robert, Dean, and Eric are the ones who seem really tight as a band.

Back between 2000-2002, I use to get really frusterated with the greatest hits setlist, but I now believe that was all due to Scott. Somehow, I believe he has the final say in what goes into the setlist. This is all my opinion.

i do agree. i just think that the webmaster of the official site should take down that setlist builder that is on the main page. its just wasting everyone's time and only gonna frustrate. so the june 3rd setbuilder is next.....

hmm i wonder what they will play?? im willing to bet money that it will be the same as it has been so far.

Brad

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 03, 2008, 12:36:02 AM »
Quote from: "detomaso"
Yup. If the lead singer doesn't like to rehearse, you can't expect him to know songs they don't play often.

But, in their defense, I will say this. People on this board are their most fantical fans. But we do not represent the 10,000 to 15,000 per night they need to sell out arenas. Those mainstream, more casual fans want the hits. A successful show for the majority of fans is a Greatest Hits show. If STP (or any band) plays a bunch of unfamiliar songs, the bandwagon fans head for the concessions and the bathrooms. Let's face it, we all do it when other (less important to us than STP) bands play that unfamiliar stuff at their shows.

yes i also agree...but...the setlist builder should be taken down.

KingSnake

• Cardinal
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitestripes.net
« Reply #183 on: June 03, 2008, 01:58:30 AM »
Ya know guys, no offense, but a lot of your arguments were the same arguments in 99, 00, 01, 02 and 03.  It just gets old.  I am glad they are back and if they want to play the same songs, night after night, don't put up a notice on your website that the fans are going to pick the setlist for the upcoming tour and have song choices for each show for them to pick from.  That's just not right.  Especially for us long time fans who are really wanting them to mix it up from night to night. 
My web community: WhiteStripes.net (13 years old as of Feb 2015)

Garrett

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 03, 2008, 02:06:39 AM »
Quote from: "KingSnake"
Ya know guys, no offense, but a lot of your arguments were the same arguments in 99, 00, 01, 02 and 03.  It just gets old.  I am glad they are back and if they want to play the same songs, night after night, don't put up a notice on your website that the fans are going to pick the setlist for the upcoming tour and have song choices for each show for them to pick from.  That's just not right.  Especially for us long time fans who are really wanting them to mix it up from night to night. 

Exactly.  I was waiting to see what they'd perform before purchasing TX tickets. 

Looks like I've already seen this show.

rushp1

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 03, 2008, 08:53:27 AM »
I read somewhere recently that Scott said he wants to sing the hits because thats what people want to hear. as much as we get tired of the same songs being played, one must remember that not everybody has seen STP live - including myself. id be dissapointed if I was seeing them for the first time and they didnt play "Trippin'..." or "Big Empty". but I can understand fans' frustrations if you have seen them a few times and want to hear some of the deep cuts.

lets just all be happy that they are back in the saddle and maybe next tour they can play those hidden gems

dog_day_prophet

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 03, 2008, 09:15:49 AM »
Quote from: "rushp1"
lets just all be happy that they are back in the saddle and maybe next tour they can play those hidden gems

If there is a next tour...

coma09

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 03, 2008, 11:42:09 AM »
Quote from: "detomaso"

thats bullcrap and weak by the band if thats the way they think, just look at Pearl Jam i guess cos they've been doin it since they started everyone knows how deverse their setlists will be when they go and see them but the thing is the mainstream fans get the mainstream songs they came to see and more importantly the true fans always a get a few rare songs, STP needs to look after the true fans by playin some rarer songs but balance it with the hit songs for those boring people who dont like deversity

JWeber

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 03, 2008, 07:01:25 PM »
Even if they would throw in one song every night that would mix it up, that would be cool. I remember a while back I saw them twice on the same tour with in a month and it was the same line-up. Then came the acoustic set, and they tossed in Dancing Days. Not that I was dissapointed at first (they rocked it hard) but that one song made my night.

JWeber

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: New Stone Temple Pilots live song
« Reply #189 on: June 03, 2008, 08:55:24 PM »
Adheisive would be great to see live. It would be cool to see/hear Art School Girl played during the acoustic set.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 03, 2008, 09:45:46 PM »

Excellent 1st post! It has always been Scott - Robert Deleo has been quoted as saying that they discussed "An Evening With STP" many times but, when it came down to it, Scott would always say, "Nahhh, I don't wanna do that."

"Pick-a-set" is an absolute joke.

kazuality

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 03, 2008, 10:16:18 PM »
Quote from: "Stop That Pigeon"

"Pick-a-set" is an absolute joke.

yeah

and robert de leo interview....

"We are thinking about stuff off our last record, Shangri-La Dee Da, there’s a song on there called ‘Bi- Polar Bear’ that I think we are going to try to tackle. Let’s see, there’s a song on there called ‘Dumb Love,’ and there’s a song on there, ‘Long Way Home,’ I think we’ve only preformed that once. There’s some stuff off No. 4 that we have only performed once or twice. There is a song called ‘Glide’ that we never performed before. It’s a matter of finding the time, and getting all the stuff. We have been in rehearsal, and I think the band is sounding amazing. I think the band is sounding better than I would say we ever sounded. There is a lot more focus and sobriety and wisdom that goes along with doing with what we are doing right now. It’s a good place"

i dont know if this is real
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 10:28:29 PM by kazuality »
Look I just want to go out sometime you know.  Like normal people, spend time together and enjoy each other's company. Like best friends.  Like lovers that care.  Who actually respect the relationship you know?"

stpwkdgrdn

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 03, 2008, 11:56:54 PM »
I read in interview ith Dean right before the ROR show on May 17th.  As he was waiting for Scott to show up for rehearsal,  he said they had about 30 songs ready to perform live and it's come down to the one's Scott felt comfortable playing.  I'll admit, I'd love to hear Adhesive or Meatplow, but i'd hate to hear it messed up on stage.  Maybe it's better this way, for now.

KingSnake

• Cardinal
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitestripes.net
« Reply #193 on: June 04, 2008, 11:47:57 PM »
I think it would show some huge balls NOT to play Plush during a live show from time to time... Mmmhmmn
My web community: WhiteStripes.net (13 years old as of Feb 2015)

Adhesive Love

• W. Axl Rose
  • Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/ilovethepunkrock
« Reply #194 on: June 04, 2008, 11:55:28 PM »
Quote from: "KingSnake"
I think it would show some huge balls NOT to play Plush during a live show from time to time... Mmmhmmn
I agree but then again I am spoiled by seeing Pearl Jam. They are one of the only bands i will see multiple times on tour just because you know it will never be the same show twice.Sometimes Eddie will just call out a song. I wish STP would do that.
CHINESE DEMOCRACY STARTS NOW.