October 04, 2024, 02:35:18 AM

Author Topic: Setlist Discussions  (Read 89451 times)

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The 2008 Setlist
« Reply #195 on: June 04, 2008, 11:56:25 PM »
And those balls would have to be real stuuupid.. im not the biggest fan of the tune but see the reaction it gets from the crowd .. theres no way that PLUSH shouldnt be played live

KingSnake

• Cardinal
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitestripes.net
« Reply #196 on: June 05, 2008, 12:02:10 AM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
And those balls would have to be real stuuupid.. im not the biggest fan of the tune but see the reaction it gets from the crowd .. theres no way that PLUSH shouldnt be played live

Of course there is, there are other songs that can rock the crowd just as hard if not harder.  And like the post above, maybe I am spoiled by Pearl Jam, who mix it up so much you hardly ever here the same song from night to night to night.. and their big "hit" Jeremy, is played very sporadically.

The problem is, they dug themselves a hole BY playing the same songs, the hits, night after night after night.  It's almost too late to turn back now. 
My web community: WhiteStripes.net (13 years old as of Feb 2015)

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 05, 2008, 12:38:19 AM »
Quote from: "coma09"
thats bullcrap and weak by the band if thats the way they think, just look at Pearl Jam i guess cos they've been doin it since they started everyone knows how deverse their setlists will be when they go and see them but the thing is the mainstream fans get the mainstream songs they came to see and more importantly the true fans always a get a few rare songs, STP needs to look after the true fans by playin some rarer songs but balance it with the hit songs for those boring people who dont like deversity

The PJ thing isn't necessarily true.  I know a guy who is a pretty big music fan, but is a little old for Pearl Jam, but he knew the hits, and wanted to see them.  He came away pissed that they didn't play Alive, his favorite song, and said he wouldn't see them again.  There are more of those people than fanatical fans.  That is why I made SURE I went to one of those year end shows in Vegas in '01 where they did some cool stuff (like Black Again, Revolution, Wonderful, etc.)

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #198 on: June 05, 2008, 02:00:16 PM »
Quote from: "lovemachine97"
The PJ thing isn't necessarily true.  I know a guy who is a pretty big music fan, but is a little old for Pearl Jam, but he knew the hits, and wanted to see them.  He came away pissed that they didn't play Alive, his favorite song, and said he wouldn't see them again.  There are more of those people than fanatical fans. 

PJ caters to their die-hard fans, which I fully support. The PJ crowd is filled with more die-hard fans then casual fans from my live experiences. They go just as crazy for Alive as they do something rarely played like Footsteps or Low Light.

The ONLY guaranteed songs that PJ will normally play at every show are Betterman and Even Flow, and they usually encore with Yellow Ledbetter and a cover song. (Rockin in the Free World, etc.)
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Pick-a-Set!!!
« Reply #199 on: June 05, 2008, 02:53:08 PM »
who cares about what pearl jam does .. damn .. maybe stp should give away crappy b-side song to members of there fan club

Lanche

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 05, 2008, 06:45:37 PM »
Yes, I'm happy STP is back together and playing.

I'm a little upset that they made a big deal on their new website (and press releases) about fans being able to "pick a set" for their shows.  They're known for not mixing it up, they tell their fans on their "reconnect" tour that we'll have some input, and so far, they're playing the same greatest hits setlist night after night.  Even in a city (Detroit) where they are playing 2 nights in a row.  It's not like we're asking for new material, how about just pick one of your other 30 songs to play?

Scott can't make even a little effort to throw in a different song or two from time to time?  That's just plain lazy and lets me know they are in it more for the money and really don't care. 

mrzod1

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: I am disappointed cause...
« Reply #201 on: June 06, 2008, 09:09:52 PM »
I'm chill don't worry. I actually loved the two shows I went to.  And I agree with the counterpoint as well.  I just want to hear it all.  I'm really happy with the songs I saw.  I want more dammit.  My only problem is I love too much.

mc555

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 06, 2008, 09:14:05 PM »
he's loosing his voice

EclecticBohemian

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 06, 2008, 09:23:26 PM »
That's what I'm afraid is going to happen.  These dates are too close together and they're adding more and more.  He's going to end up completely blowing out his voice & who knows how long that will take to recoup from.  i.e.  Postponed shows...= me having a conniption fit if I have to wait longer!  Ha! 

Somebody give Scott strict instructions to NOT talk period in between shows!  Lots of warm-tea with lemon & honey.  No additives in the tea either! lol
Know what I\'m thinking?  No?  Neither do I!  ;Þ

NovaAngel19

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 07, 2008, 08:45:30 AM »
I wish STP would do a setlist like this:

Naked Sunday
Vasoline
Pop's Love Suicide
Wicked Garden
Church On Tuesday
No Way Out
______

(acoustic set)

Sour Girl
Samba Nova (electric)
Hello, It's Late
And So I Know (electric)
_______

Crackerman
Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart
Heaven & Hot Rods
Interstate Love Song
All In The Suit That You Wear
Big Empty
Plush
Down
Unglued

(encore)

Press Play (jam)
Sex Type Thing
Too Cool Queenie
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:54:20 AM by NovaAngel19 »

AdhesiveLove27

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 07, 2008, 04:48:29 PM »
^ Lets go tape his mouth shut between shows :)
\\\"If You Don\\\'t Stop Thinkin\\\' Soon You Will Be Drinkin\\\' And You\\\'re Better Off Just Stay

bonebroke

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 08, 2008, 04:27:39 AM »
Quote from: "kazuality"
.....and robert de leo interview....
"We are thinking about stuff off our last record, Shangri-La Dee Da, there’s a song on there called ‘Bi- Polar Bear’ that I think we are going to try to tackle. Let’s see, there’s a song on there called ‘Dumb Love,’ and there’s a song on there, ‘Long Way Home,’ I think we’ve only preformed that once. There’s some stuff off No. 4 that we have only performed once or twice. There is a song called ‘Glide’ that we never performed before. It’s a matter of finding the time, and getting all the stuff. We have been in rehearsal, and I think the band is sounding amazing. I think the band is sounding better than I would say we ever sounded. There is a lot more focus and sobriety and wisdom that goes along with doing with what we are doing right now. It’s a good place"

i dont know if this is real

Hope these songs start making regular appearances at shows.
I'm 4-Shang.

Adhesive Love

• W. Axl Rose
  • Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/ilovethepunkrock
« Reply #207 on: June 08, 2008, 04:52:05 AM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
who cares about what pearl jam does .. damn .. maybe stp should give away crappy b-side song to members of there fan club

I do. STP would kill to have the loyal fanbase PJ does.There is a reason why PJ sells out 99% of their shows.PJ fan club is like $10-15 per year, I think. For $40, STP should be giving out something cool like PJ does for their fans.
CHINESE DEMOCRACY STARTS NOW.

pearljamvegas

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 08, 2008, 05:22:38 AM »
why is stp playing the same sets every night. except maybe playing the odd 1 or 2 songs more at some shows like all in the suit you wear etc.

in the first show they played in columbus scott said they gonna change the set around every night. they have done fuck all. im still gonna see them, it should be a good show. but im only going to 1 vegas show not 2. in detroit they played nearly the same set both nights, that is boring. i thought they gonna mix it up like pearl jam this time but guess not. what was the point of the fans voting too? did everyone in the fan club really vote the same songs every night?  i think not, its too bad they wont change the sets around

The Joker

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 09, 2008, 05:17:32 AM »
The band is growing back into its own right now on a basic level......if everything can continue to go well (please Scott) then I think you will see small changes...but it will never be a new setlist every night