September 28, 2024, 06:23:29 PM

Author Topic: Album reviews/opinions  (Read 23771 times)

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Album reviews/opinions
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2008, 06:44:06 AM »
Quote from: "everylilwhore"
Quote from: "Five Star Edge"

Could you provide the track times and a brief description of each of the seven 'new' songs?  Thanks!

1. Missing Cleveland  4:15
2. Tangle With Your Mind  3:45
3. Blind Confusion  4:24
4. Paralysis  3:53
5. She Sold Her System  4:34
6. Blister on my Soul  4:07
7. Fame  3:28
8. Killing Me Sweetly  4:35
9. Big Black Monster  3:26
10. Beautiful Day  5:10

Disc 2

1. Crash  3:50
2. Hyper-Fuzz-Funny-Car  3:31
Literally the name says it all. It is total chaos. Sounds like nothing I have ever heard Mr. Weiland do. It is fast paced and there is a lot of distortion on the vocals throughout the song. Would be a great song to end a concert and just have him go apeshit performing it with a megaphone.
3. The Man I Didn't Know  4:35
4. Sometimes Chicken Soup  3:58
Very slow paced and melodic. For some reason it reminds me of a low key Prince tune, with a hybrid of the great melodies that Weiland performs. Beautiful song.
5. Somethings Must Go This Way  4:48
This sounds like a leftover STP song. His vocal style is amazing on this song (kind of that raspy/high pitched and beautiful vocal). Think of STP performing an acoustic tune on stage and that is what this tune reminds me of. His vocals are again, amazing on this song. The music, the instruments and the production work on it are outstanding.
6. Pictures and Computers (I'm Not Superman)  6:49
7. Sentimental Halos  5:34
Probably the only song on the album that I would actually skip every now and then. The music is excellent and sounds amazing on headphones, but I am not a fan of the 'spiritual lyrics' and the pace of the song.
8. Reel Around the Fountain  5:20
This has to be one of the catchiest songs on both CD's. His vocals are spot on throughout the entire song. Deep and melodic. The chorus and hook are infectious.
9. Archangel  4:28

I don't want to reveal too much, but I have to say that the range and style of vocals that he uses on this album astound me. The musicians he worked with, make this a much more complete set of music.

Thank you very much  :)
And what about Blister on my Soul  ? ;)

Does The Man I Didn' know has any global differences from live version?
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

everylilwhore

« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2008, 08:31:10 AM »
Quote from: "Tyrant"

It sounds like a Social Distortion song in parts (one of their more mellower/pop tunes).

In regards to The Man I Didn't Know; The vocals are toned way back. I think the live version is actually better, but its still a great song.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2008, 10:29:28 PM »
I can't believe some people here don't like the album.  It's brilliant, there are a couple I don't like (Arch Angel, Be Not Afraid) and am indifferent about (Blind Confusion, Beautiful Day) but I love every other song on the album.  I think this album is Scott getting out the rest of his Shangri LA DEE DAish stuff, kind of like what the DeLeos did with AoA.  I can't stop listening to it.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2008, 08:09:33 AM »
Well I finally gave into the urge and downloaded it and all I can say is WOW! I really like it and that's just from one listen, I think it's a vast improvement over 12BB personally, it's definately more accessible, I also think the songs are structured better and it is musically superior, for example the horns on Pictures & Computers are amazing!
I'll be ordering this as soon as I find a site that will ship the 2 disc set to the UK.

My favourites are (In order) :

Killing Me Sweetly
Crash
Tangle With Your Mind
Pictures & Computers
Missing Cleveland
Paralysis

The only song I really dislike is 'Be Not Afraid', i'm not too sure what Scottie was thinking with that one, it sounds like one of my friends drunk doing karaoke  :(
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2008, 10:28:25 PM »
I obtained an advanced copy of the single disc release and must say i think it is absolutely perfect. After a ten year wait for a second solo release, this collection made the wait worth it. You can't compare it with 12 Bar Blues. Differant monster all together. There are SOME familiar sounds. 'Big Black Monster' has a slight 12BB sound to it for example. 'Killing Me Sweetly is one of my favorites so far. The guitar and his vocal delivery are beautiful. 'Pictures And Computers (I'm Not Superman)' is another beautiful song that sweeps you away. The production is VERY impressive. I think the weakest link is his take on Bowie's 'Fame'. It may be because Bowie is and has been my favorite artist and i am a bit stubborn. It doesn't suck...it just doesn't grab me. I have to say i enjoy the original 'Beautiful Day' more than the new version. Not sure why. Maybe i am just so used to the elder version. I can't wait to hear all the other songs. Very, very impressed with Happy In Galoshes. Great job, Scott!!!! :)
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

everylilwhore

« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2008, 05:30:04 AM »
Quote from: "everylilwhore"
Quote from: "Tyrant"

It sounds like a Social Distortion song in parts (one of their more mellower/pop tunes).

In regards to The Man I Didn't Know; The vocals are toned way back. I think the live version is actually better, but its still a great song.

I think Blister on my Soul is one of the best songs on these discs as well, after a solid week of listening. Pictures and Computers is an amazing song.

She Sold Her System is my least favorite. I have found my SKIPPER.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2008, 09:56:22 AM »
So I was driving around with my girlfriend today and she's got on some crap, and then she puts on the radio, and there's like a half a second of music before the songs over, and as soon as it's over I hear "that's new rock from Scott Weiland."

And I'm like FUCKKK!!!!!!!!!!! I've been texting them so much lately asking when they were getting it, and then finally once it's on, I miss it.  :(
Bleeda blooda

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2008, 09:58:51 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone's noticed yet, cuz I just did, but Happy In Galoshes in it's entirety is streaming on SW's MySpace.
Bleeda blooda

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2008, 07:53:50 PM »
Just freshly added to myspace!!!

The Whole album is up to listen to !!

Enjoy guys!!!  O0

http://www.myspace.com/scottweiland
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2008, 08:00:17 PM »
Ha!! I know all the songs at this point. Hahaha. But its great they finaly put all the songs up (well, almost all of them) to listen to. With a week to go, it's sooooooo close now.

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2008, 08:05:49 PM »
Quote from: "weilandfan"
Ha!! I know all the songs at this point. Hahaha. But its great they finaly put all the songs up (well, almost all of them) to listen to. With a week to go, it's sooooooo close now.

Yah i saw alot of everyone had listened to basically all of them. I had Cleveland and paralysis but i just wanted to wait because I fig they would be on the myspace. But I love what i have been hearing. I think it's great! A definiate leap from 12 bar...
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2008, 10:48:10 PM »
She Sold Her System" (say it out loud fast; it's almost as funny a pun as Britney Spears' "If U Seek Amy").

I don't get the joke  ???

Sin

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=127989536
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2008, 10:49:19 PM »
2 New songs are availible for streaming here:

http://www.imeem.com/scottweiland

The man I didn't know
Hyper-fuzz-funny-car
Sin makes me strong.

capt_caveman

• Maver
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Take A Load Off
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zooind.tumblr.com
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2008, 12:21:11 AM »
Digging both of these, it's nice to hear a studio version of 'The Man' finally. Hyper Fuzz has hints of 'Murder' from Chemical Bros. Can't wait to hear the others...
Cause she could play the six string better than those macho pendejos

guvnagrover

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2008, 01:43:06 AM »
Ok, just downloaded the album from Itunes with "I know it's too late"-cool song by the way.

So, now I have the single disc version with his autograph.
The Itunes version with the extra track.
And will be getting the deluxe edition one way or another tomorrow.

Damn, I am a fanatic.
"Skin is smooth I steal a glance...Dragon flies 'er' gliding over"

"Cause she could play the six string, Better than those macho pendejos...Oh Maver..."