September 28, 2024, 06:17:30 PM

Author Topic: Album reviews/opinions  (Read 23768 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Album reviews/opinions
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2008, 03:54:08 PM »
While I understand what people are saying about Scotts vocals not being quite as good as they once were (judging from his recent shows with STP) that's bound to happen with time isn't it?  I'm still very excited about this album. I loved Scotts vocals and harmonies on SLDD and hope he has a similar sound on some of the songs here. As for the style of the songs, slow and trippy is cool with me! I think this album will be more accessible than 12BB was anyway judging from the samples.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2008, 04:49:59 PM »
Scotts vocal issues don't have much to do with time.....he just isn't taking care of his voice like he needs to.........One of my favorite artists from the 60's is Gary Puckett and the dudes 62 or 63 years old and he still sounds as good if not better than he did in the 60's.......I talked to him about it and he warms up his voice for an hour to an hour in-a-half EVERYDAY.........and he doesn't smoke or drink......So Scotts killin his voice and seems to not care......

-Chase

King

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2008, 05:09:33 PM »
Wow, I stand corrected about my earlier statement... I actually only like 2 songs from the album. :P

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2008, 06:55:27 PM »
This album...is odd.  There's a few tracks that I'm really into, but there's a few tracks that I really didn't like..I don't know if they will grow on me eventually or not.

Paralysis
Crash
Beautiful Day
Missing Cleveland
Blind Confusion
Killing Me Sweetly

Dislikes
Fame
Arch Angel
Pictures and Computers
Be Not Afraid  (absolutely horrible)

Unsure about
She Sold Her System
Tangle with your mind

Oh, Jimmy

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
Is it gonna be out on vinyl? I think itsa must have, if it is.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2008, 08:04:30 PM »
Quote from: "Oh, Jimmy"
Is it gonna be out on vinyl? I think itsa must have, if it is.

I doubt it.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

gravedancer

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2008, 08:15:42 PM »
Surprisingly, I like Fame. It's certainly not the best song on the record, but it's a hell of a lot better than Be Not Afraid.

I still haven't listened to everything enough times to give a fair analysis, but the majority of it is pretty good. But not Be Not Afraid :P.
STP Shows: 05-25-08 - Wallingford, CT, 09-23-12 - Sacramento, CA
SWB Shows: 03-07-13 - Boston, MA, 06-07-13 - San Francisco, CA

jermthefan

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2008, 09:54:28 PM »
I like the album pretty well. It's different than most other "Scott" music, but that isn't really bad in this case. I agree with some of you guys about the cover. I think the only reason it came out like this was so people would buy it twice, when the double album comes out. Sorta a shitty thing to do if ya ask me. But, as far as the album goes, I really like it. It's sorta dumb though that it's supposed to be a "concept" album, and it has a cover on it. I doubt David Bowie had Mary on his mind when he wrote Fame.  :- Other than the cover, I think it's a pretty damn good album.

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2008, 04:05:19 AM »
I am really suprised by how some people are not digging this album!! I really enjoy it and think that Scott , even after all these years is still crafting and creating fresh music. He continues to grow as an artist and most importantly he is fearless when it comes to the creative process. I really like the cover of "Fame" and I am suprised that one member of the board actually called it the worst cover ever! I Applaud Scott for another great work of "ART" in an era that resides on the commercial side of the spectrum. I love Scott's indeference towards the rest of the music biz while he sets out to accomplish his own personal aspirations. I am really digging these new tunes. He has managed to create an album much different from 12 Bar but at the same time making a concious effort to again stay true to himself  as an artist without having the "be different just to be different"  crutch that some artists employ while trying to reach different levels of creativity. These songs are Scott Weiland and the greatest thing about him is that he can create something this vast musically without selling himself out. There are only so many musicians around today that can accomplish this.

You rock Scott!!

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2008, 05:39:38 PM »
The main album sounds pretty good production-wise.  Occassionally over the years you'd find some tracks here and there with some vocal distortion or filtering that just takes away from the overall sound quality, but this album seems to have good production.

As for the music, I'll let it grow on me a bit before I comment, but I will say that the Bowie cover of "Fame" was a cool surprise. And the announcement of the double disc is cool becuase now I have an excuse to buy it even beyond my initial fan boy of Weiland material excuse.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2008, 07:59:54 PM »
So far, I say it's pretty cool.  I think 12BB is brilliant, so we'll see how this one stacks up eventually.

That being said, I know the Paloalto song, and have heard a clip of Scott doing it, and I also know Man I Didn't Know.  Both of those songs are better than 2 tracks on the single disc right now...

So when the hell is the single disc coming out?  Grean told me "later", or something to that effect, but now it's on preorder.  Weird.

everylilwhore

« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2008, 01:34:16 AM »
Big Black Monster could be a big radio hit in my mind, but I don't think this album was written to have radio pick it up too much.

I think Scott and the group of musicians he has surrounded himself with, wrote some great material and it shows on this record. In saying that, a lot of it would never see the light of day on the radio and that is not a bad thing.

I love every song on both discs. They each have a unique part to them that makes me get all fuzzy inside.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2008, 02:41:35 AM »
Quote from: "everylilwhore"
Quote from: "lovemachine97"
So I think I've decided the tracklisting bothers me...I've had this album for a day, and don't know it very well, and I only spent about 10 minutes of this, but, so far, I like this better (even though there probably is a better way):

Big Black Monster
Arch Angel
Missing Cleveland
Paralysis
Tangle With Your Mind
She Sold Her System
Blind Confusion
Fame
Beautiful Day
Killing Me Sweetly
Crash
Pictures and Computers
(hidden)Be Not Afrad

Well, what leaked is not fully accurate according to the two discs I received. They could be moving things around, but I doubt it at this point. It plays out a bit chaotic, but that is why I love it.

Disc 1

1. Missing Cleveland
2. Tangle With Your Mind
3. Blind Confusion
4. Paralysis
5. She Sold Her System
6. Blister on my Soul
7. Fame
8. Killing Me Sweetly
9. Big Black Monster
10. Beautiful Day

Disc 2

1. Crash
2. Hyper-Fuzz-Funny-Car
3. The Man I Didn't Know
4. Sometimes Chicken Soup
5. Somethings Must Go This Way
6. Pictures and Computers (I'm Not Superman)
7. Sentimental Halos
8. Reel Around the Fountain
9. Archangel

I'm a little jealous, especially since the two songs I was most excited to hear were the Paloalto cover, and Man I Didn't Know, both not on the leak.

I thought Big Black Monster would be a less "out of nowhere" opener than Missing Cleveland, and set a better mood, despite not being a big rocker.  Plus, it's a good segue from 12BB.  I know that people like to have a big catchy rocker opening up albums, and that MC is the only one here, but I just personally don't like it as an opener.  My opinion, I'm not Scott, etc., etc...

I am, however, happy that Grean was a bit off on the release of the 2-disc version, and I will be able to snatch this up sooner rather than later.

I'm wondering WHY the two different formats?  I mean, if this is a vanity project, and he doesn't care about it's commercial viability, then why release a cheaper, more commercial version?  

Anyways, I thank you for your input :-)

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2008, 05:11:12 AM »

I'm a little jealous, especially since the two songs I was most excited to hear were the Paloalto cover, and Man I Didn't Know, both not on the leak.

I thought Big Black Monster would be a less "out of nowhere" opener than Missing Cleveland, and set a better mood, despite not being a big rocker.  Plus, it's a good segue from 12BB.  I know that people like to have a big catchy rocker opening up albums, and that MC is the only one here, but I just personally don't like it as an opener.  My opinion, I'm not Scott, etc., etc...

I am, however, happy that Grean was a bit off on the release of the 2-disc version, and I will be able to snatch this up sooner rather than later.

I'm wondering WHY the two different formats?  I mean, if this is a vanity project, and he doesn't care about it's commercial viability, then why release a cheaper, more commercial version?  

Anyways, I thank you for your input :-)

Hyper-Fuzz-Funny-Car is a crazy weird rocker. Not radio type music, but I fucking love the song.

Could you provide the track times and a brief description of each of the seven 'new' songs?  Thanks!
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

everylilwhore

« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2008, 05:41:35 AM »
Quote from: "Five Star Edge"

Could you provide the track times and a brief description of each of the seven 'new' songs?  Thanks!

1. Missing Cleveland  4:15
2. Tangle With Your Mind  3:45
3. Blind Confusion  4:24
4. Paralysis  3:53
5. She Sold Her System  4:34
6. Blister on my Soul  4:07
7. Fame  3:28
8. Killing Me Sweetly  4:35
9. Big Black Monster  3:26
10. Beautiful Day  5:10

Disc 2

1. Crash  3:50
2. Hyper-Fuzz-Funny-Car  3:31
Literally the name says it all. It is total chaos. Sounds like nothing I have ever heard Mr. Weiland do. It is fast paced and there is a lot of distortion on the vocals throughout the song. Would be a great song to end a concert and just have him go apeshit performing it with a megaphone.
3. The Man I Didn't Know  4:35
4. Sometimes Chicken Soup  3:58
Very slow paced and melodic. For some reason it reminds me of a low key Prince tune, with a hybrid of the great melodies that Weiland performs. Beautiful song.
5. Somethings Must Go This Way  4:48
This sounds like a leftover STP song. His vocal style is amazing on this song (kind of that raspy/high pitched and beautiful vocal). Think of STP performing an acoustic tune on stage and that is what this tune reminds me of. His vocals are again, amazing on this song. The music, the instruments and the production work on it are outstanding.
6. Pictures and Computers (I'm Not Superman)  6:49
7. Sentimental Halos  5:34
Probably the only song on the album that I would actually skip every now and then. The music is excellent and sounds amazing on headphones, but I am not a fan of the 'spiritual lyrics' and the pace of the song.
8. Reel Around the Fountain  5:20
This has to be one of the catchiest songs on both CD's. His vocals are spot on throughout the entire song. Deep and melodic. The chorus and hook are infectious.
9. Archangel  4:28

I don't want to reveal too much, but I have to say that the range and style of vocals that he uses on this album astound me. The musicians he worked with, make this a much more complete set of music.