September 28, 2024, 06:31:08 PM

Author Topic: Album reviews/opinions  (Read 23773 times)

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Album reviews/opinions
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2008, 08:52:36 AM »
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

purple man

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2008, 09:19:11 AM »
My song sample to song sample review:
1.Missing Cleveland- an ok song, nothing special, cute pop-rock song 7/10
2.Tangle With Your Mind- I like it a lot, reminds me of Dylan, kinda folky 9/10
3.Blind Confusion- sounds great, you can hear the Elvis Costello influence here 9/10
4.Paralysis- another ok song, a little better then cleveland though 7.5/10
5.She Sold Her System- sounds very good, very artistic, love it 9.5/10
6.Fame- useless filler! 0/10
7.Killing Me Sweetly- amazing bossa nova song, reminds me of 'about a fool', maybe the best song 10/10
8.Big Black Monster- what a cool groovy-jazzy song, love it 9.5/10
9.Crash- another amazing song, a 'shangri la' kinda song 10/10
10.Beautiful Day- we heard it before, cool song 7.5/10
11.Pictures & Computers- interesting arty song 9/10
12.Arch Angel- a bossa nova song, sounds very good 9.5/10
13.Be Not Afraid- a slow trippy song, nice ending 7/10

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2008, 03:23:59 PM »
Finally, I am all caught up on this thread and here are my thoughts, reactions to other posts:

1) Agree that the video is horrible -- not only in concept, but in the timing when he has a couple small kids.

2) Another release of "Beautiful Day" seems like a waste of a spot.

3) The clips are nice, but I need to hear the full album before passing judgement.

4) My prediction: Once this album tanks, he will begin work with STP on a sixth album in the early fall because the only one who has anything sucessful going on right now is Eric (Bombshelter Studios).

5) It would be great to for him to release a couple B-sides like Happy or the others either on singles, ITunes, or just free would be great. The chances of it happening are no better than 50/50.

kazuality

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2008, 09:37:35 PM »
i like picture and computers, big black monster,  paralisys and learning to drive , i think that missing cleveland is the worse sample...is different...and picture and computers sound in the start like 12 bar blues...lazy divey
Look I just want to go out sometime you know.  Like normal people, spend time together and enjoy each other's company. Like best friends.  Like lovers that care.  Who actually respect the relationship you know?"

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2008, 02:11:43 AM »
It sounds like Missing CLevland is the heaviest song on the album

rymo84

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2008, 04:15:33 PM »
I'm going to refrain from listening to the samples, I like it when I can pop in an entire album for the first time and hear everything straight through. I don't want to make an assumption about any songs until I can hear them all the way through. I've already listened to Paralysis 200 times and will probably be sick of it by the time the album is out.

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2008, 06:34:13 PM »
I too have refrained (and I can't believe I HAVE!!) from listening to the samples... I want to hear full songs.

jermthefan

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2008, 08:27:45 PM »
Quote from: "weilandfan"
I too have refrained (and I can't believe I HAVE!!) from listening to the samples... I want to hear full songs.
You aren't missing much. And I'm a huge Scott fan. I'm gonna buy the album, but I'm disappointed so far. I'll wait until I hear the whole album before I pass judgement though.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2008, 08:40:08 PM »
Quote from: "weilandfan"

X2

You cannot grasp an entire song from hearing samples. Sometimes it ruins the song IMO.

I will hold out as well. I've only listened to full versions of Missing Cleveland and Paralysis.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2008, 09:09:18 PM »
The samples are dissapointing, but theyre just samples so its tough to judge ..

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2008, 02:35:11 AM »
While you can't really get the whole picture from samples, I listened to all the Amazon clips, and I'm less than impressed. I agree totally with the person up there that said it doesn't even sound like Scott-- it doesn't.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2008, 02:50:41 AM »
Quote from: "nat"
While you can't really get the whole picture from samples, I listened to all the Amazon clips, and I'm less than impressed. I agree totally with the person up there that said it doesn't even sound like Scott-- it doesn't.

Scott has a lot of different singing voices, any STP fan should know that.

Listen to how he sings from Core, to Tiny Music, to Contraband.

If you played each of those albums to people without telling them who was singing, they would probably think it's 3 different people singing.
Bleeda blooda

Cuatro01

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2008, 03:09:06 AM »
From the clips on Amazon.com, I'm not initially very impressed or excited.  Don't get me wrong... I'll definitely buy the album, and I'm sure there will be at least one or two songs on it that will grow on me.  But from what I've heard so far, not only are there not any rock songs (which doesn't surprise me), but there also doesn't seem to be much energy.  It sounds like too many of the songs are similar... not that they necessarily sound the same, but that they are slow 'artsy' sounding songs.  Missing Cleveland sounds like the most energetic song on the album.  It seems like most of the album is slow, experimental, trippy, techno, and/or arsty sounding songs in the mold of a lot of the stuff from 12 Bar Blues.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2008, 06:03:47 AM »
Quote from: "andrew"
Scott has a lot of different singing voices, any STP fan should know that.

Listen to how he sings from Core, to Tiny Music, to Contraband.

If you played each of those albums to people without telling them who was singing, they would probably think it's 3 different people singing.

While I agree with you on this, it's even more evident that his vocals have changed and I don't think it was done on purpose. It's almost a high, whiney nasally type thing he does on most of the album.
Take it.

Yanks241

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2008, 04:42:46 PM »
Quote from: "Cuatro01"
From the clips on Amazon.com, I'm not initially very impressed or excited.  Don't get me wrong... I'll definitely buy the album, and I'm sure there will be at least one or two songs on it that will grow on me.  But from what I've heard so far, not only are there not any rock songs (which doesn't surprise me), but there also doesn't seem to be much energy.  It sounds like too many of the songs are similar... not that they necessarily sound the same, but that they are slow 'artsy' sounding songs.  Missing Cleveland sounds like the most energetic song on the album.  It seems like most of the album is slow, experimental, trippy, techno, and/or arsty sounding songs in the mold of a lot of the stuff from 12 Bar Blues.

You can't take much from such short samples.  I think everyone will be impressed once we hear the full songs.  I'm psyched after hearing a handful of the samples.