September 28, 2024, 08:33:45 PM

Author Topic: Album reviews/opinions  (Read 23778 times)

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Album reviews/opinions
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2008, 03:54:12 AM »
First of all...Happy In Galoshes should never have even been sold as a single disc. The 2 disc is THE edition that should be experienced. What a wonderful journey. Scott's 'White Album' is an amazing ride. Sounds like...Dark Side, Ziggy Stardust, Sgt. Pepper, The Soft Parade, Abba, Physical Graffiti, Bob Dylan, Prince and The Carpenters wrapped up in an 8-ball of sound. I layed down on the couch with Mary Jane last night...put on the headphones...and was swept away by a storm of sound. No album (well...not many) is without SOME flaws. The only tracks i tend to skip are Fame (which is disappointing because i LOVE Bowie) and Be Not Afraid (which in my opinion is THE worst song he has recorded). I think it was sequenced perfectly also. There is no reason to compare it with 12BB either. They are 2 differant beasts all together. I hope that he will get more solo material out to us more often. Try new things and experiement even more. I read something about a country album? I'd get it. He should be daring like that. I'd like to hear a new STP and more solo Scott within the next 3 years. If he keeps his head about him...i believe he has alot to offer us. With Weiland...it's a flip of the coin though. :-
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2008, 03:00:43 PM »
I definitely like the 1st disc better..HFFC should have been on it though
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

therealcaptain40

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2008, 08:45:15 PM »
i'm digging disc 2 much more than 1.

adhesive-love

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2008, 06:37:28 PM »
Wow, what the hell... I finally get the CD today and I put it on my computer, and when I rip it, NONE OF THE INFORMATION goes on.  It just comes up as Track 1, track 2, etc. And an unknown album, artist, and NO album art.  I have never had that problem before...

Ugh I'm so frustrated.  I had to put in all the information and then some of it got deleted again.
I know I want what\'s on my mind.

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2008, 07:03:35 PM »
Quote from: "adhesive-love"
Wow, what the hell... I finally get the CD today and I put it on my computer, and when I rip it, NONE OF THE INFORMATION goes on.  It just comes up as Track 1, track 2, etc. And an unknown album, artist, and NO album art.  I have never had that problem before...

Ugh I'm so frustrated.  I had to put in all the information and then some of it got deleted again.
I had the same problem. Annoying.

happygirl

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2008, 10:29:39 PM »
I preordered my cds (2 weeks ago). Of course, Best Buy sent a notice saying it was back ordered. So, I stopped at Best Buy on my way out of town for Thanksgiving. Picked up the cd. Me and the family listened to Scott all the way to Mobile. We took a family vote, everyone loves it!  I can't wait to get home to redeem my T-shirt code. It really is a great cd!!!! :)
So one and one and one make three
                                  And it changed

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2008, 02:26:35 AM »
I gotta admit. I'm not the biggest fan of the tracklisting. Do i have an improved suggestion? Not from start to finish, but i gotta say that Missing Cleveland back to back with Paralysis is a must. But i guess that's just falling victim to the internet and leaked songs and not hearing the album for the first time via the actual purchase.

I've since gotten my deluxe edition from Bestbuy and off the bat, i found it a little weird adjusting to this version of the album, after having heard the single cd first.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

The Action Girls

• The ORIGINAL Melody Man
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Is she fighting for air?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2008, 05:21:49 AM »
After listening to the album thoroughly, my new favorite song is easily "The Man I Didn't Know". "Hyper-Fuzz-Funny-Car" is a great tune as well, but so different from anything on the album. Brett, you were right, this album has definitely grown on me. I mean, I even like "Paralysis"! I know the album won't sell a lot of copies, that was pretty much known from the beginning, but this is definitely a treasure. Move over Anthems for the Damned, Scotty-boy just took "Best Album Of 2008" in my collection by a landslide. I really want to hear "Hyper-Fuzz-Funny-Title-For-A-Song" live now. December 3rd can't come soon enough!!!

I AM OFFICIALLY "HAPPY" IN GALOSHES!
Back for another one

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2008, 06:06:35 AM »
Quote from: "Rocketboy"
Quote from: "adhesive-love"

I had the same problem. Annoying.

Funny. My discs were fine. Wonder what the deal was with yours?
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Sledgehammers of Truth

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2008, 07:15:57 AM »
WOW. For what it's worth, I hadn't been very excited about the 30 second samples that came out some time ago.  But after digesting the double album, I'm more than pleased.  Scott really seems at home on this album.  He sounds like he's really getting to exercise his creativity for a change.  As much as I loved 12BB this album is the true Weiland classic.  I'm particularly impressed with Disc 2.  But this is a fantastic album.  I'm more than impressed at all the hard work (although it sounds more like they had fun) that went into writing and recording this album.  So kudos to Scott and Doug on a really satisfying listen.

One additional thing, as much as I like the artwork, I don't think it really fits the feel of the album.  Although the image of him running and smiling is priceless.  I wish he'd have continued the John Coltrane theme of 12BB and maybe paid tribute to another Coltrane classic, possibly Giant Steps?

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2008, 10:18:07 AM »
Quote from: "The Action Girls"
After listening to the album thoroughly, my new favorite song is easily "The Man I Didn't Know". "Hyper-Fuzz-Funny-Car" is a great tune as well, but so different from anything on the album. Brett, you were right, this album has definitely grown on me. I mean, I even like "Paralysis"! I know the album won't sell a lot of copies, that was pretty much known from the beginning, but this is definitely a treasure. Move over Anthems for the Damned, Scotty-boy just took "Best Album Of 2008" in my collection by a landslide. I really want to hear "Hyper-Fuzz-Funny-Title-For-A-Song" live now. December 3rd can't come soon enough!!!

I AM OFFICIALLY "HAPPY" IN GALOSHES!
It's definitely a grower, but that'll alienate people sadly.  Played a few of the regular version songs right when it leaked for my Dad, he didn't like it one bit and he's an STP fan, but he's the type that only likes Core, Purple, and Tiny Music.  That crowd will be alienated, but fuck it, if I like it who cares.  Disc 2 is definitely better, but they're both solid.  Definitely my favorite record of the year passing up The Killers' "Day & Age."

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2008, 04:58:39 PM »
<I've since gotten my deluxe edition from Bestbuy and off the bat, i found it a little weird adjusting to this version of the album, after having heard the single cd first.>

Not me. I think that there should never have been a single disc version. The double disc is the way to go with it. I like the order it was released in...but for fun i'll give it the 'SoftVinyl' order.

Disc 1
Pictures & Computers (I'm Not Superman)
Beautiful Day
She Sold Her System
Sentimental Halos
Crash
Paralysis
Missing Cleveland
Blind Confusion
Big Black Monster
Hyper-Fuzz-Funny-Car

Disc 2
Tangle With Your Mind
Blister On My Soul
Reel Around The Fountain
Some Things Must Go This Way
Killing Me Sweetly
Sometimes Chicken Soup
The Man I Didn't Know
Arch Angel
Fame
Be Not Afraid

I then would have included a bonus DVD of the 'making of Happy'.

Missing Cleveland

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2008, 03:57:18 AM »
Quote from: "SoftVinyl"
I think that there should never have been a single disc version. The double disc is the way to go with it.

Agreed, but I just grew accustomed to hearing it that way. And although it was simply a short period of time, there were many spins in those few days.  :)
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2008, 05:16:56 PM »
:o  :o  :o  :o

LaLaGrunge

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • And So I Know
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2008, 03:06:46 AM »
I FINALLY received my deluxe edition in the mail today!! Yay! I had ordered it off of BestBuy.com for the special pre-order on Nov. 24th. However, it was backordered for weeks so I had to, like many others, WAIT.

But...it's finally here and I'm loving it all around. Weiland has given me some of his best work. Great, unique, and reflective songs all around. This is so much better than a Serj Tankian or Jon Bon Jovi solo album because it thrives on diversity and a separateness from Stone Temple Pilots or Velvet Revolver. That is precisely what I want in a group member who turns to solo songwriting.

12 Bar Blues was excellent but I think "Happy" in Galoshes might be a tad better. Love it, love it!  ;D
Alter Bridge: 10/20/07
Live: 3/15/08
STP: 5/18/08, 5/31/08/Scott Weiland: 1/24/09
Metallica: 1/17/09
The Smithereens: 1/14/14/Sugar Ray-Better Than Ezra-Eve 6: 8/21/15