September 28, 2024, 06:22:56 PM

Author Topic: Album reviews/opinions  (Read 23770 times)

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
Re: Album reviews/opinions
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2008, 02:27:51 AM »
HFFC must be Weilands "tribute" to Ministries Jesus Built My Hotrod. heh....
The Man I Didn't Know is a great song... I've been waiting on a studio of this one since he played it live on Carson Daley's show.

These are two solid tracks.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

drynaski

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2008, 02:42:32 AM »
This is awesome!

Also, I'm really enjoying Scott's voice being not so over-produced on this record, minus the common telephone effect thats being used. It refreshing to not hear 15 layers of his voice with all types of effects on it, even with the instances where the intonation is little off... it makes it sound more human.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2008, 07:38:49 AM »
I downloaded it off iTunes, I dunno when my deluxe edition is coming in, but I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow and I'll probably just end up buying it.

Also, those imeem songs are pretty rad. I love those 2 songs. I really like The Man I Didn't Know studio version.

I Know It's Too Late is pretty good too. It doesn't really sound like Scott in part of it.
Bleeda blooda

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2008, 12:04:18 AM »
I have mine and I'm listening to it right now!  It's soooo good...
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

drynaski

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2008, 05:04:31 AM »
Yeah the songs are great... production is fair, I think it often detracts from the songs... he should've gotten Daniel Lanios or Brenden O'Brien in to at least mix it

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2008, 03:35:39 PM »
Rik, Ivy - can the new songs from the deluxe edition of HIG be added as individual threads in the song section?

Thanks as always :)
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

capt_caveman

• Maver
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Take A Load Off
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zooind.tumblr.com
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2008, 05:49:18 PM »
So I've been listening to the album non-stop since I picked it up last night at BB... I have to say the second disk is money. I do really like the first disk, but the second is where it's at for me. I love all the bossa nova influence and acoustic guitar on this album.
Cause she could play the six string better than those macho pendejos

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2008, 06:39:08 PM »
Jim The Stimulator's Review

What follows is my song-by-song review of the deluxe edition of Scott's new album.  At the end I'll rank this album with every other STP-related album to see where it ends up.

Missing Cleveland
Yes, this song has a very simple song structure and chord progression.  However, this is made up for by some of Scott's best lyrics (actually, this entire album has some of Scott's best lyrics).  For example, "But leaving earth is sometimes lonely when your feet are on the ground."  I love that line.  I'm pretty sure that this song is about Mary, and it may be written after they were separated, but I'm not sure.  This is one of the most accessible and commercial songs on the album, so it's a good choice for 1st single (or is it 2nd single?) 8/10

Tangle With Your Mind
This is my favourite song on the entire album.  It's co-written with Gary Beers, the bassist of INXS.  During the verses, Scott kind of sings like Bob Dylan but better.  Again, the lyrics seem to be about Mary and her cheating on him.  This song would be great as the next single.  I think that it'd become a big hit if promoted properly, plus wouldn't it be cool if a song with banjo became a big hit on rock radio?
10/10

Blind Confusion
The starting of this song reminds me of the Killers.  The rest of the song is kind of a New Wave-y rock song that's very catchy.  This song would also make a good single.  The lyrics, once again, seem to refer to Mary cheating on him.
9/10

Paralysis
Ok, this one is for sure about Mary cheating on Scott.  The lyrics in this song are also amazing and very heartfelt.  Scott has written very personal lyrics since 12 Bar Blues, but this album has to have his most personal yet.  I didn't like the chorus of this song the first time I heard it, but it has since grown on me and now I don't mind it.  The verse and pre-chorus are very strong.  I know it's written by the No Doubt guys, and it does sound like Gwen Stefani could put her voice and melodies over the music.  This is the only song on the album that Adrian Young plays on.
9/10

She Sold Her System
As far as I can determine, this song is also about Mary cheating on Scott.  Once again, the lyrics are very strong from Scott.  The song is very atmospheric and catchy at the same time.  The chorus sounds a little like Roger Waters-era Pink Floyd.  I personally don't think this song could work as a single because it's too soft and slow during the verses, but this is one of the best songs on the album.
10/10

Blister On My Soul
This song sounds like another song by a different band but I can't quite place it.  It's on the tip of my brain.  Anyway, I like this song a lot too.  It's very fast and also very catchy.  The lyrics seem to be about his brother Michael.  Actually, now that I think of it, this song does have a ska sound to it.
8/10

Fame
I'm a big Bowie fan, and I love Weiland's version.  The hip-hop influence must come from Paul Oakenfold and Weiland sings it pretty well.  This song does fit on the album where it's placed.  It's just another genre that Scott tackles on this album.
8/10

Killing Me Sweetly
Ah yes.  This is the song that is basically the 2nd part to Son.  I think it fits considering the lyrical content is kind of a continuation of Son.  I think it's about Mary once again, but it could also be about his kids.  If I had to pick between the 2, I like Son more, but this is still an excellent song with more great lyrics from Scott.  It wouldn't be out of place on 12 Bar Blues (just like the next 2 songs).
10/10

Big Black Monster
This song does start off a little bit similar to About Nothing, but it becomes a very different song with a little of Desperation #5 thrown in too.  I love the lyrics in this song they almost want to make me laugh, even though it looks to me that he's singing about his marriage problems with Janina.
9/10

Beautiful Day
Now we've come to the third song in a row that wouldn't sound out of place on 12 Bar Blues.  It's exactly the same song that appeared on the Bug soundtrack, but I think it fits on the album because the sound and lyrical content fits the album perfectly.  This song seems to be a mix of John Lennon-inspired verses and pre-choruses with a Brian Wilson chorus.
8/10

Crash
This is another beautiful song.  I loved it the first time I heard it, and I still do today.  I think it's too "out there" to be a good single, but it's an awesome song.  The high notes Scott hits are amazing and beautiful.  The lyrics seem to be about Scott trying to hold on to life after something bad happened (I don't know if it's his brother's death or his marriage ending).  In fact, this whole album seems to be very positive despite the sad things that happened to him.  Very different than the lyrical theme of Contraband where he was mostly angry and depressed.
10/10

Hyper-Fuzz-Funny-Car
I'm pretty sure that this is the hardest and fastest song on the album.  It is also one of the best songs on the album.  The second disc is full of slow, soft songs so this song provides a nice change of pace.  This song will be awesome when he performs it live.
10/10

The Man I Didn't Know
I'm not a fan of country at all, but I have to admit that this song is one of the best that Scott has ever written.  The lyrics are sad and heartfelt about his birth father and the music compliments them beautifully.  This song should be released as a single to country radio.  Oh, I also love the steel drums.  This song is just amazing!
10/10

Sometimes Chicken Soup
This is another great song that also reintroduces the banjo!  I don't really know what experience he's singing about, but the lyrics are still very good.  The title of this song has to be the best on the entire album.
9/10

Some Things Must Go This Way
This is a remake of a song by a band named Palo Alto.  I'm not familiar with the original, but this version sounds great to me.  Again, the music and lyrics perfectly fit the theme of the album.  Great singing by Scott.
8/10

Pictures & Computers (I'm Not Superman)
This is another Weiland masterpiece on an album filled with them.  The lyrics and music are excellent.  Again, I think it's too "out there" to be a single, not to mention long, but this is one of the best songs on the record.  I love the horns as well.
10/10

Sentimental Halos
"Consequential angels, sentimental halos."  Yes, I had Sucker Train Blues running through my head when I read those lyrics, but this song couldn't be any different than STB.  Where STB was hard rocking and fast, this song is slowish and soft.  It kind of sounds like something off of Shangri-La Dee Da.  Maybe it was written around that time.  The lyrics here start turning to a more religious slant with Scott asking God to save him from drowning and to keep him breathing.  The sad but positive lyrics are again evident in this song.
8/10

Reel Around The Fountain
This is my favourite cover on the album.  Scott sings it well and it perfectly fits within the lyrical and sonic theme of the album.
8/10

Arch Angel
This is another song that seems to be about Scott's brother Michael.  The lyrics are a little religious because he's comparing his brother Michael to the arch angel Michael in the Bible.  There are also a couple of verses that refer to things that happened during Christmas.  This, along with the soft upbeat music, almost makes it sound like a Christmas song.  But it's not.  Instead it's a very positive song about Michael and the good times they had together and the good he's doing now in heaven.
8/10

Be Not Afraid
I know this song seems to have a lot of detractors, but I think it's the perfect ending to the album.  It effectively sums up the lyrical theme that was running through the album, while it also ties into the religious imagery of the last few songs.  Scott is almost telling himself to "be not afraid", and be positive and keep living even after all these negative things have happened in his life.  This is what almost every song on the album is saying.
8/10

Yes, I absolutely love this album.  I also find that it perfectly compliments 12 Bar Blues where Scott is responding negatively and depressingly to all the negative things happening in his life.  Happy In Galoshes finds Scott coming full circle again, but this time responding positively to much of the same issues.  Scott could have easily made another angry album like Contraband, but instead he's chosen to make the record about himself and his personal journey through life's ups and downs.  Happy In Galoshes is Scott's newest masterpiece and, in my opinion, is one of the best records he's ever made and is one of the best records of all time.

Here is how I rank all the STP-related albums, all of which I love, from best to least favourite (remember this is my opinion and may not be the same as yours):

1) Shangri-La Dee Da
2) Purple
3) Happy In Galoshes
4) No. 4
5) Tiny Music
6) 12 Bar Blues
7) Core
8] Libertad
9) Army Of Anyone
10) Contraband
11) Talk Show

drynaski

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2008, 11:57:59 PM »
Blister On My Soul
This song sounds like another song by a different band but I can't quite place it. It's on the tip of my brain. Anyway, I like this song a lot too. It's very fast and also very catchy. The lyrics seem to be about his brother Michael. Actually, now that I think of it, this song does have a ska sound to it.
8/10

you're recognizing a snow patrol song.. its like song 6 on some 3 albums ago... same hook

and "I know it's too late" probably didn't make album because it's constantly using the Sweet Child of Mine verse hook...

both still enjoyable songs but I wish he vetted whats in his head a little more

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2008, 12:20:56 AM »
Quote from: "drynaski"
Blister On My Soul
This song sounds like another song by a different band but I can't quite place it. It's on the tip of my brain. Anyway, I like this song a lot too. It's very fast and also very catchy. The lyrics seem to be about his brother Michael. Actually, now that I think of it, this song does have a ska sound to it.
8/10

you're recognizing a snow patrol song.. its like song 6 on some 3 albums ago... same hook

and "I know it's too late" probably didn't make album because it's constantly using the Sweet Child of Mine verse hook...

both still enjoyable songs but I wish he vetted whats in his head a little more

Ah yes.  Thank you.  I think that's it  :)

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2008, 03:53:59 AM »
After listening to the first disc, I was curious how the second disc would sound. I am in love. The second disc is amazing. I've only been blown away once this year from an album, and that was the new Shinedown disc. Make this number two. I cannot get enough of it! HFFC, Sometimes Chicken Soup, and Pictures & Computers would have to be my top three.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2008, 04:08:25 AM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
After listening to the first disc, I was curious how the second disc would sound. I am in love. The second disc is amazing. I've only been blown away once this year from an album, and that was the new Shinedown disc. Make this number two. I cannot get enough of it! HFFC, Sometimes Chicken Soup, and Pictures & Computers would have to be my top three.

I agree that second disc is just amazing.  But so is the first in my opinion.  I can't choose between them yet!

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2008, 04:49:40 AM »
Loving the album, even though I've only listened to disc 1 so far.
Not a single song I don't like.
To echo almost everyone else, Killing Me Sweetly and Big Black Monster would fit perfectly on 12 Bar Blues.

Also, I feel retarded.
I had absolutely no idea Scott re-recorded Learning To Drive solo. I stayed away from much of the discussions and leaks (except missing Cleveland and Paralysis) because I wanted to go into the album fresh. I guess I never downloaded Beautiful Day when it was released on the Bug soundtrack. It was a nice surprise though.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2008, 07:48:52 AM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
Yeah I agree the second disc is awesome!! I think I might like it better than the first...mainly because of Crash, HFFC, and Sentimental Halos.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

jermthefan

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2008, 01:52:45 AM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
Sweet Child o mine ?? Really? .. dont hear it
It's at the end of the chorus. I heard it too, but the song is fucking awesome, so it really didn't bother me too much. But, It's pretty noticeable. Still not understandin' why the track didn't make the album.