September 25, 2024, 02:37:40 AM

Author Topic: Screaming STP at Scott Shows (Douglas Grean)  (Read 12693 times)

drynaski

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Screaming STP at Scott Shows (Douglas Grean)
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 04:50:11 AM »
I doubt people on this board would be the ones in the audience yelling for Scott and the band to play STP songs. I'm pumped it's not:
Setlist A:
    * Crackerman
    * Vasoline
    * Wicked Garden
    * Big Empty
    * Dead and Bloated
    * Creep
    * Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart
    * Interstate Love Song
    * Plush
    * Down
    * Sex Type Thing
--or--
Setlist B... which I'm still happy was different from Setlist A
    * Big Empty
    * Wicked Garden
    * Big Bang Baby
    * Silvergun Superman
    * Vasoline
    * Lounge Fly
    * Sour Girl
    * Creep
    * Crackerman
    * Plush
    * Interstate Love Song
    * Down
    * Sex Type Thing
    * Sin
    * Dead And Bloated
    * Trippin On A Hole In A Paper Heart

After this tour Scott should take a looooooong break, maybe write music with you again but stop touring and let his voice heal... it's amazing he could tour straight through VR, STP, and now this... but the man needs to rest.

The Action Girls

• The ORIGINAL Melody Man
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Is she fighting for air?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 06:52:15 AM »
Quote from: "Tyrant"
You could even yell "Doug Grean is a fat sloppy live guitar player" and you'd be within your rights.

Thank You, I will, January 25th is just around the corner, hahaha.
Back for another one

bedshaped

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 03:45:53 PM »
I respect everything Doug is saying here.  It's ridiculous that people buy a ticket that says 'Scott Weiland' on it, knowing he just released a full lenth solo album, and expect to hear STP tunes.

ejsme

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 03:58:55 PM »
I totally agree with Doug too. I'm going to see Weiland in Milwaukee Jan 30th and I'd be more than thrilled if they dropped the two STP songs and replaced them with two 12BB songs. I missed Weiland in Milwaukee in '98, the last time he toured solo. I've seen STP 5 or 6 times over the years. I'm going to this show to see the solo stuff. Why fill up spaces in the already short setlist with songs that we can hear elsewhere. How many chances are we going to get to hear 12BB songs or HIG songs live?

happygirl

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 04:32:21 PM »
Saw STP in October. It was great!

Going to Atlanta, to see Scott.

It's all about "Happy" for me.   :)
So one and one and one make three
                                  And it changed

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 05:12:01 PM »
I think Doug's great.  I have no problem with what he's saying.  Heck, I'd wanna say something too if I had to put up with hearing STP chants as much as he has in the last month.  I'm thrilled to hear Scott's solo stuff, but I think he could help himself out quite a bit by changing up the setlist.  While I think throwing in Unglued near the top of the set was a good move to cater to more casual listeners in the audience, I felt like Scott sold his solo effort short with the setlist.  I went to the St. Louis show, and I feel he left out the bulk of what I think are the better songs on "Happy".  

He needs to ditch the Smyths and Flaming Lips covers.  It's just my opinion, but I think they really drag the energy of the set down, and they aren't even his own songs (even though they are good covers).  I'm just not a fan of those songs, and I don't think they're worth playing, I wanna hear Scott's stuff.  I think Scott's missing an opportunity by not playing Tangle With Your Mind, Crash, Hyper-Fuzz-Funny-Car, The Man I Didn't Know, and I Know It's Too Late.  Where's the Man, Cool Kiss, or Lady... would be nice 12BB tunes to hear.

I'd be fine with hearing zero STP songs at Scott's show, but I think he should balance out the pace of the setlist and play a better selection from "Happy".  The set in St. Louis was okay, but it didn't really do it for me (especially opening with Reel around the Fountain).  I know not everyone will agree with me, but I think it's a more valid argument than trying to add more STP tunes to spice up the set.
Sin make me strong.

The Action Girls

• The ORIGINAL Melody Man
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Is she fighting for air?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 05:31:28 PM »
Quote from: "Suffer_Long"
I think Doug's great.  I have no problem with what he's saying.  Heck, I'd wanna say something too if I had to put up with hearing STP chants as much as he has in the last month.  I'm thrilled to hear Scott's solo stuff, but I think he could help himself out quite a bit by changing up the setlist.  While I think throwing in Unglued near the top of the set was a good move to cater to more casual listeners in the audience, I felt like Scott sold his solo effort short with the setlist.  I went to the St. Louis show, and I feel he left out the bulk of what I think are the better songs on "Happy".  

He needs to ditch the Smyths and Flaming Lips covers.  It's just my opinion, but I think they really drag the energy of the set down, and they aren't even his own songs (even though they are good covers).  I'm just not a fan of those songs, and I don't think they're worth playing, I wanna hear Scott's stuff.  I think Scott's missing an opportunity by not playing Tangle With Your Mind, Crash, Hyper-Fuzz-Funny-Car, The Man I Didn't Know, and I Know It's Too Late.  Where's the Man, Cool Kiss, or Lady... would be nice 12BB tunes to hear.

I'd be fine with hearing zero STP songs at Scott's show, but I think he should balance out the pace of the setlist and play a better selection from "Happy".  The set in St. Louis was okay, but it didn't really do it for me (especially opening with Reel around the Fountain).  I know not everyone will agree with me, but I think it's a more valid argument than trying to add more STP tunes to spice up the set.

I agree with you. I'm going to a Scott Weiland show to HEAR SCOTT WEILAND SONGS. He's only letting the diehard fans and his catalogue down by including STP songs. Is he feeling pressured by the crowd or something? I mean, COME ON. The general setlist has been pretty weak, but I'm saying that cause no "The Man I Didn't Know" and "Tangle With Your Mind", plus he only throws in two 12 Bar Blues songs in the list, both are great, but I wanna hear more songs from that album at his shows.

I get that he wants to promote "Happy" In Galoshes at these shows, but I feel like he's not utilizing the incredible-ness of his first album. Embrace BOTH albums at these shows - I say.
Back for another one

down

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 05:33:05 PM »
I'm in agreement about having more 12BB or Happy songs, instead of STP material..
However, just out of morbid curiousity, has anyone been yelling out PLAY VR at the shows?
All that first class jet-set brings me down, down down,
All that first class drug shit brings me down...

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 05:38:53 PM »
just out of morbid curiousity, has anyone been yelling out PLAY VR at the shows?

I didn't hear any shouts for VR at the St. Louis show.  Just STP.  The local radio station interviewed Scott before the show, and they asked him if he'd play any VR, and Scott replied something along the lines of maybe.
Sin make me strong.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 05:53:17 PM »
No matter what, there will be people requesting STP songs. It's inevitable. There is no way avoiding it. If I were Doug, I would just ignore it.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 08:36:46 PM »
I didn't hear any VR chants, However I would love to hear him play fall to pieces again live.  I am thinking that may never happen again.  Sub FTP instead of ILS..then you get 1 STP song 1 VR song Lots from Happy and 12bb
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 08:41:40 PM »
They chanted "STP STP" at Irving...
That's when Scott shooshed us and threated to play "Chinese Democracy" in it's entirety  ;D
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 09:06:19 PM »
Quote from: "Tyrant"
So if you want to come and yell STP at the show's that cool. We don't get mad or anything.

Oh yes they do...LoL.
Scott was visibly irritated at the NY show when people were chanting STP (which I DO disagree with).
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

stpnj2008

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 10:12:28 PM »
It's inevitable, as good as Scott's solo stuff is, STP is something that will always define him as a musician.

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 10:17:59 PM »
Quote from: "stpnj2008"
It's inevitable, as good as Scott's solo stuff is, STP is something that will always define him as a musician.

Yes, but he's trying to do something different from it & it's got to be frustrating not being able to really do it.