September 25, 2024, 12:25:34 AM

Author Topic: Screaming STP at Scott Shows (Douglas Grean)  (Read 12692 times)

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Screaming STP at Scott Shows (Douglas Grean)
« on: December 22, 2008, 06:35:33 PM »
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =458234203

So we've finished the first set of tour dates. These were all radio shows and we are really happy with how it all went. It started off good and end great. It happens with all bands, the more shows you play the better and tighter the set gets. I think we were really ooking by the NYC show and just got hotter as we went along. But I have to say that the last show, the Chicago show was probably the best we've played.

On a side note, we've added another STP song to the set "Unglued". People having been yelling for us to play STP songs at every show and this is understandable. But you guys have to understand a few things. To begin with there is a another band called STP that is actually out there touring and if you want to hear a whole set of STP tunes you can pretty easily go see them, they were just on tour for 5 months and they are doing a few shows next week. So it's not like they are broken up and you can't ever see them anymore. That's not the case. So that's one reason not to sit there screaming STP at a Scott solo show.

Also Scott WANTS to play his solo stuff, that's what this "Solo" touring stuff is all about. He wants to establish an identity for himself that separate from STP and VR. So if you buy a ticket to a Scott Weiland Solo tour concert you should be prepared to hear mostly Scott Weiland Solo songs.

Finally I think you should know that we all love STP (me and the solo band). And we love playing their great songs. I myself have worked on their last 2 records. I know and I'm friends with all of them and by not playing much of their stuff we are not trying to be disrespectful. We are actually just respecting Scott's wishes and supporting his vision for his solo identity.

So if you want to come and yell STP at the show's that cool. We don't get mad or anything. And every one has the "Freedom of Speech" whatever they want. You could even yell "Doug Grean is a fat sloppy live guitar player" and you'd be within your rights. But what I guess I'm asking you for is to be patient and understanding and let Scott do what he wants to do for now. There will be plenty of time and chances for you to hear the STP boys rock the fuck out of their awesome catalog in the future.

Please be understanding of this post - it's written with the best intentions and wishes that everyone gets what they want. The fans, the bands, and the singers.

Thanks
DG
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

peronim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Screaming STP at Scott Shows (Douglas Grean)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:37:51 PM »
I dig what he's saying...Don't go to a Scott Weiland SOLO show if all you want to hear is STP material..if his solo stuff isnt your taste then dont attend the shows...like Doug said STP has been touring and most likely will tour again go see THEM..what is it with people NEVER being satisfied with things...thats just my opinion

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 12:47:33 AM »
He's so right! he just said what we all were thinking (saying) ;) and he said it at the right way, he wasn't rude or nothing like that...
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 01:00:20 AM »
you guys get the sloppy guitar and freedom of speech part right? lol he's talkin about the thread about him on this lol
If you only knew..

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 01:04:38 AM »
not rude at all.  kinda respect it.  but c'mon, most people are there to check out scott rock STP and VR and sorta put up w/ the solo stuff.  the reason these guys are on radio shows and leno/letterman, ect is because he was in STP and VR.  they don't see the best way to get more exposure is to play more STP/VR in their set.  it'll get more people's attention and perhaps get people to give a listen to the solo stuff.  how many people would go to the show if everyone knew they wouldn't play STP/VR?  btw, where's the VR.  Slither would be cool.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 01:08:33 AM »
I agree with Doug.  Why would I want to see Scott's solo band cover STP when I can see STP play the songs themselves?  That's the way I look at it.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 01:13:02 AM »
I wanted to hear scott play his solo stuff..but unglued live was FANTASTIC!  Doug playing ILS was not so good, but again one of the songs I love to hear weiland sing.  Ha ha I do think he was talking about this forum with the whole fat sloppy pig thing but I thought He was a cool guy at the show.  He came and shook our hands and let us play his guitar...he talked to us.
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 01:37:32 AM »
I never really liked it when VR did STP or GNR songs, so I doubt any STP songs played live are going to be good.

Although hearing Unglued live would kick some ass
Bleeda blooda

STPCreep

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 01:43:39 AM »
Heck, I'd love to hear Unglued at the STP show on NYE
:(

Slim Jim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 02:09:13 AM »
Doug Grean can't get over the fact that some person on an STP forum criticized his live playing. Why would he even let such a thing bother him?? How many days later, and he eludes to it on his myspace page. It's funny, actually, that he's taking it so hard. He must not be that confident in his own playing.
I'm going to be honest...the entire backing band just sounds like amateurs. Anyway, the sooner this tour is over, the better and regarding them playing STP songs, I'd think they'd be better of staying away from those songs. I'm not sure they could do them justice.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." - George W. Bush

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 02:35:23 AM »
I'd love to hear STP doing Unglued!! Dammit.

I think if Scott was playing everynight on his solo tour as his STP shows are I'd be more happy to hear STP songs on his solo tour. Bt with him only playing for a certain amount of time, I'm really wanting to hear what he wants to play & it could be covers, or solo stuff, btu when it's a shorter show, you put in STP song here or there, and its taking time out of being able to hear things we WONT get to hear when he's on tour WITH STP.

I could do without STP songs on a solo tour. Its really cuz I've been WAITING to see HIM, no VR, no STP, just HIM do his solo gig for SOOOOOOOOOOOO long, I want to hear stuff I'm probably never going to hear him play till he does another solo gig.

VegasCrackerman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "so much depends on the weather"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 02:48:30 AM »
Ditto.

SW Solo may be a relatively short-lived venture...and I've been dying to hear 12BB since it dropped oh so many years ago.  Time for him to make good on that!!!

STP will more than likely NOT play SW solo songs in the future, I wish it weren't that way, but it is.

Face it kiddies, this may very well be THE ONLY TIME you get to see HIG songs played live.

I for one won't miss it!
2016 Concerts:
6/3 Vanilla Ice
6/8 The Cure
6/25 Public Enemy

cubsof89

• Cubsof89
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • check me out on the book of faces
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 03:03:11 AM »
Quote from: "VelvetLounngeFly"
you guys get the sloppy guitar and freedom of speech part right? lol he's talkin about the thread about him on this lol

Was that from this forum or another one? Hadn't heard about this, but I agree with it.

For as average as he is on guitar, Doug is a cool guy. He's always responded to my emails via yahoo.

Cool guy.
If you give a man a fire, you keep him warm for a night. But if you SET a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 03:05:40 AM »
Quote from: "cubsof89"
Quote from: "VelvetLounngeFly"

Was that from this forum or another one? Hadn't heard about this, but I agree with it.

For as average as he is on guitar, Doug is a cool guy. He's always responded to my emails via yahoo.

Cool guy.

It was from this forum. I think its funny he mentioned it. I got a good chuckle out of it.  :D

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 03:25:40 AM »
TOLD YOU IT WAS HIM!  :D
If you only knew..