September 20, 2024, 01:58:35 AM

Author Topic: Should Scott Get Back With VR ?  (Read 25962 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: Should Scott Get Back With VR ?
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2009, 07:57:17 AM »
Quote from: "WhenTheItchGetsBad"
Velvet Revolver was the BEST BAND of the last 10 years.
Here were 5 guys that had a chance to do something amazing and change the course of rock music, but they couldn't hold it together long enough. Now they're just another break up story for MTV news and it's all bullshit.
They need to man up and work their differences out. I love STP to death, they're one of my all time favorites, but they don't hold a candle to the potential Velvet Revolver has.
Stone Temple Pilots are past their prime, and trust me, I take no joy in saying that.
Luckily VR is still here. Stop looking for another singer, just hug it out and make more records.
Oh shut up, STP's concerts in 2008 (minus a small handful of off nights) were amazing and showed why they should be together.  It was far better than the VR Libertad tour, which was a total disaster.  VR is not the best band in the last 10 years, get over yourself.  They made a good debut record with a few hits and a subpar second record that nobody really cared about.  VR were a flash in the pan, a supergroup, while STP are legends.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

hello,its late

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2009, 08:00:26 AM »
kid........ STP aren't legends...... The Doors are.......Bob Dylan is...............The Stones are........Chuck Berry is.....not STP, Core was released in 1992 these guys got together in 1986 not legends....

WhenTheItchGetsBad

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2009, 08:09:13 AM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Here were 5 guys that had a chance to do something amazing and change the course of rock music, but they couldn't hold it together long enough. Now they're just another break up story for MTV news and it's all bullshit.
They need to man up and work their differences out. I love STP to death, they're one of my all time favorites, but they don't hold a candle to the potential Velvet Revolver has.
Stone Temple Pilots are past their prime, and trust me, I take no joy in saying that.
Luckily VR is still here. Stop looking for another singer, just hug it out and make more records.
Oh shut up, STP's concerts in 2008 (minus a small handful of off nights) were amazing and showed why they should be together.  It was far better than the VR Libertad tour, which was a total disaster.  VR is not the best band in the last 10 years, get over yourself.  They made a good debut record with a few hits and a subpar second record that nobody really cared about.  VR were a flash in the pan, a supergroup, while STP are legends.

You might be small-mindest person I've ever had the misfortune of talking to. The STP concerts were a disaster, I know because I was at one of them. Go and type in on youtube and you'll see. Scott can barely hold a god damn tune, he's falling over himself, forgetting lyrics, going off on these mindless drunken tangents in between songs. You can not be serious. I hate to say this, but those concerts were just depressing.
VR wasn't a flash in the pan, you can't even defend that, and I'll tell you why. The biggest buzz in rock music right now is who the next singer of Velvet Revolver is going to be. If they were truly a flash in the pan, people would've forgotten about them after Scott left. Velvet Revolver are true legends. Their place in the rock and roll hall of fame is practically reserved. When Brian May and Joe Perry say that, you can take it to heart.
STP are not legends. STP are just a 90's band with a dedicated following. Did you look around at the concert you went to? Everyone there was in their 20's and 30's, and those who weren't were the kids of those 20 and 30 year old STP fans.
You're living in the past, kid. If you look to the future, realistically, you'll see STP is a dying bulb. It's a shame, because I love STP, but their day in the sun has passed.
Bees Only Thrive When The Honey\'s There.

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2009, 09:33:59 AM »

You might be small-mindest person I've ever had the misfortune of talking to. The STP concerts were a disaster, I know because I was at one of them. Go and type in on youtube and you'll see. Scott can barely hold a god damn tune, he's falling over himself, forgetting lyrics, going off on these mindless drunken tangents in between songs. You can not be serious. I hate to say this, but those concerts were just depressing.
VR wasn't a flash in the pan, you can't even defend that, and I'll tell you why. The biggest buzz in rock music right now is who the next singer of Velvet Revolver is going to be. If they were truly a flash in the pan, people would've forgotten about them after Scott left. Velvet Revolver are true legends. Their place in the rock and roll hall of fame is practically reserved. When Brian May and Joe Perry say that, you can take it to heart.
STP are not legends. STP are just a 90's band with a dedicated following. Did you look around at the concert you went to? Everyone there was in their 20's and 30's, and those who weren't were the kids of those 20 and 30 year old STP fans.
You're living in the past, kid. If you look to the future, realistically, you'll see STP is a dying bulb. It's a shame, because I love STP, but their day in the sun has passed.
You are very idiotic to call me small minded, because I mentioned in my post there were a small handful of so-so shows, most likely due to Scott's exhaustion from touring for so long, but I'd say at least 80% of the shows were great.  You cannot judge an entire tour based on one show.  I witnessed 3 STP shows in 2008.  The Kimmel taping was good, not great.  Of course it was awesome for me since it was my first time seeing them but they weren't 100%.  I then went to the Hollywood Bowl show and was completely blown away, they were also amazing on New Years Eve.  Scott's tangents in between songs have nothing to do with his actual performance.  The lyric forgetting thing did not happen ALL THE TIME, it happened a few times and was highly publicized.  You are taking small things/mistakes that happened on the tour and acting as if they happened on EVERY show.

Velvet Revolver are NOT legends.  You are completely off your rocker.  Slash and Duff are legends because they were apart of a legendary band, Guns N Roses.  But Velvet Revolver was not a legendary band, it was a supergroup that had one highly successful album and another dud commercially.  That's hardly a legendary resume.  You are the naive one if you think that is true.  I'll bet you even Scott would laugh at you if you called VR legendary.  STP are legends.  They have released 5 albums, 2 of which went 8x platinum and 6x platinum.  They also had a 2x platinum and platinum record.  They had 10-12 hit radio songs in the 90s and their original run was for 15 years.  

Their songs are still played on the radio today.  They are legends.  Velvet Revolver was a collaboration of a group of talented musicians (minus Sorum) for a supergroup that had 3-4 radio hits (sounds like a flash in the pan to me), and they will not be 1/2 as popular when or even if they get a new singer, because half of their fanbase were Scott/STP fans.  Also, people have forgotten about VR.  Seriously, what the fuck have they done since April 2008?  Give misleading interviews giving fans false hope that a new singer is coming soon?  Scott had a huge reunion tour with STP in 2008 and release a great solo album in November.  Velvet Revolver is the forgotten band, while Scott/STP are very relevant right now in the rock community.  I'm sure many VR fans would agree that they are not a legendary band.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2009, 09:35:53 AM »
Quote from: "hello,its late"
kid........ STP aren't legends...... The Doors are.......Bob Dylan is...............The Stones are........Chuck Berry is.....not STP, Core was released in 1992 these guys got together in 1986 not legends....
STP are apart of a new breed of legends.  Pearl Jam, Nirvana, STP, AIC, and Soundgarden have all in recent years and as time has passed become legendary.  STP have been together (they did have a 5 year break and 2 year break though) since 1986, that's off and on for 23 years.

hello,its late

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2009, 09:43:36 AM »
They will be someday but not right now it's ridiculous to hear this crap after seeing bands like Aerosmith and ACDC at the very start of their career, i have been even more disappointed with the fall of the hall of fame and their recent inductees 90's bands aren't legends nor is Guns N Roses they are well notorious for their impact of changing everything around but they also don't deserve this title just yet.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2009, 09:55:29 AM »

Seriously, what the fuck have they done since April 2008?

And before April 7, 2008, what had STP done since 2003 when they released Thank You?

People won't just forget about a band because they haven't toured or released an album. Lots of bands have gotten new singers and been very successful, who knows if Velvet Revolver will.

You can think whatever you want, but until they release an album and go on tour, your whole "they were a supergroup and they aren't relevant anymore" argument is just lame.

I think that they should just change their name, because after the lawsuit over Dirty Little Thing they have to pay that guy ridiculous royalties on album sales or whatever.
Bleeda blooda

hello,its late

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2009, 10:23:19 AM »
true and sadly slash could freaking sell out venues by himself, i don't think bands like The Cult, or Guns would have hired Sorum if he wasn't a talented guy, i think it's very amazing how these guys who alot of people would call wash ups can just rise and out of nowheres become successful again still here she builds quick machines slither and fall to pieces on the radio, regardless weather they have scott or not i wouldn't underestimate any move they make,  VR definitely put scott back on the map again.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2009, 10:36:06 AM »
Velvet Revolver were a decent enough band, but they were forced. In my opinion Weiland with his background in STP was always the wrong choice for that band, he's a great frontman but his work with STP and his solo output should make it clear that he was always far too eclectic for a bunch of blues rockers like Slash & Duff.

Slash & Duff together have enough appeal to hardcore GnR fans (of which there are MANY) to continue to sell records at a decent enough rate to be assured of gaining a recording contract whenever they wish to release something, but I think they would be better off with a singer who doesn't stretch them as much as Scott did. They were looking along the right lines with Seb Bach,  or somebody of that ilk. Scott took them places they had never been on Libertad and it is a good album, but I feel it is not the right record for fans of a band like GnR and it sold badly for (amongst other reasons) the fact that it was complacently marketed in the belief that the "names" were enough to sell the record, and the fact that it only appealed to half the fanbase.

One thing is for sure, if we are talking about creative juice, STP may not sell as many records as Slash and Duff may do if they continue to rock out with their cocks out, but they'll always be the more innovative, thoughtful and forward looking band, and that is what matters to me.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2009, 11:21:55 AM »
Quote from: "hello,its late"
true and sadly slash could freaking sell out venues by himself, i don't think bands like The Cult, or Guns would have hired Sorum if he wasn't a talented guy, i think it's very amazing how these guys who alot of people would call wash ups can just rise and out of nowheres become successful again still here she builds quick machines slither and fall to pieces on the radio, regardless weather they have scott or not i wouldn't underestimate any move they make,  VR definitely put scott back on the map again.

I think you have a really good point. If Scott hadn't joined Velvet Revolver, what would he be doing now? I doubt any other band he would have been in would have been as popular as Contraband. And he did get help from his bandmates to finally kick heroin. I guess we gotta thank them for that.
Bleeda blooda

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2009, 12:23:44 PM »
The STP concerts were a disaster, I know because I was at one of them.
One? WOW!
I was at three on this tour. 2 were fun-fucking-tastic and 1 not so great. Go read the tour section of this site and the reviews,

VR was a fucking novelty. Why is it on any Rock radio station you hardly EVER hear any VR played anymore if they are such "saviors" of RnR? Huh?
YET...at almost any given hour all over the country Rock radio stations are still playing a wide selection of STP.
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2009, 04:30:39 PM »

So far you have amassed quite a collection of posts slamming and/or putting down STP (and/or members other than Scott) and praising VR.  Moreover you are basically saying the same thing in a bunch of different posts.  Why?  We've got your opinion, you dont need to keep hitting us over the head with it.  

If you have some thoughtful commentary on VR, thats fine, but leave STP out of it, you are mostly just making yourself look like an ass and moreover a troll.  

There are plenty of STP fans out there, and its certainly not a dying band.  The recent tour was proof positive of that.  I am a big VR fan as well, (I saw them 9 times), but fact of the matter is, is that Scott is done with them, at least for the foreseeable future.  Thats a fact.  I hope that band has a future in some capacity, but it really remains to be seen.  You don't have to dis STP to be a VR fan or vice versa.  

Important Reminder:  You are on an STP fansite.  If you want to put-down the band, move along.  If you want to have conversation be mindful of the fact that YOU ARE ON AN STP FANSITE.  And before you call anyone fair-weather music fans again, keep in mind that that are several people here with negative opinions of VR that never bought a VR CD (STPGurl for example).  While I dont necessarily agree with their opinion of VR (I loved COntraband and Libertad) that doesnt make their opinion invalid.  I think its quite obvious there are very few fair-weather music fans here, and for the record I've been here for going on a decade now and know most of these people quite well.

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2009, 05:21:07 PM »
Amen brother!!!  I couldn't have said it better myself!
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2009, 05:29:19 PM »
Quote from: "CMCracker"
Amen brother!!!  I couldn't have said it better myself!
I second that
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2009, 05:47:39 PM »
Yeah Aaron!  

Can you pay a rainbow to be less beautiful?  No.  Such is Mango!  Leave, Spammer.  You can't-a-have-a-the-Mango.  Go away.  I hate you.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!