September 12, 2024, 05:37:04 AM

Author Topic: Court  (Read 21973 times)

Slim Jim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Scotts' headed back to jail
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2008, 02:15:36 AM »
Why does it seem Weiland always has to go off for a stint in the jailhouse just as STP makes plans to reunite? The same thing happened back in 1999, except back then he went off for six months. Hopefully the 8 days in jail this time don't put any damper on the tour. It would be a huge dissappointment if it did negatively impact the tour.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." - George W. Bush

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2008, 07:22:25 AM »
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Scott Weiland, lead singer for the band Stone Temple Pilots, was sentenced on Monday to eight days in jail for drunken driving, a spokesman for the Los Angeles City Attorney's Office said.

Weiland, 40, entered a plea of no contest, the functional equivalent of a guilty plea in California, to a single misdemeanor count of driving under the influence of alcohol -- his second DUI conviction in nearly four years.

The plea, stemming from his November 21 arrest following a traffic collision on a ramp to a Los Angeles freeway, was entered by Weiland's lawyer on his behalf.

Weiland was also placed on four years' unsupervised probation, ordered to enroll in an 18-month alcohol program and fined roughly $1,600, City Attorney's Office spokesman Frank Mateljan said.

Weiland last month pleaded innocent to a charge of driving under the influence of drugs. Prosecutors did not make clear why the nature of the offense was changed in the final plea.

Telephone calls and e-mail queries to the band's publicist were not immediately answered. Weiland's lawyer also could not be reached for comment.

The performer was not at Monday's proceedings but was ordered to be in court on May 28 for a restitution hearing, when he will be taken into custody to begin serving his jail term, Mateljan said.

It was not immediately clear how Weiland's sentencing might affect his reunion tour with Stone Temple Pilots, who played their first show together in nearly eight years earlier this month. The band was scheduled to kick off a 65-date series of concerts in North American amphitheaters starting May 17.

Plans for that tour were announced two days after Weiland was ousted from Velvet Revolver, the all-star band he ditched Stone Temple Pilots for in 2003.

The remaining members of Velvet Revolver issued a statement on April 1 citing Weiland's "increasingly erratic on-stage behavior and personal problems" as the reason for their split.

Weiland countered the next day that his bandmates were "discontents" who had been feuding for some time and that he already had declared the group "dead in the water."

In July 2004, Weiland pleaded no contest to a DUI charge and was placed on three years' probation under orders to complete a six-month drug program.

By Steve Gorman (Editing by Dan Whitcomb and Peter Cooney)

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/entertai ... 2720080429

This will make Scott unable to perform:

5/31: Holmdel, NJ
6/01: Mansfield, MA
6/03: Detroit, MI
6/06: St. Paul, MN
and maybe 6/07: Kansas City, MO.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2008, 07:37:39 AM »
Sometimes, you're not forced to serve a sentence consecutively, meaning Weiland could do it on off time from the tour.  Also, when forcing you to jail could cause large financial harm to many others, they allow you to work while heading back to jail to serve time when you can.  Robert Downey Jr. was once able to leave jail each day to film a movie.

The fact that he was sentenced to hours, not days, tells me he will be allowed to serve the time and work around his touring schedule.

Of course, I could be wrong.  Have been before.

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2008, 11:30:14 AM »
It can also be reduced for time served.
What can also work in his favor too is he already voluntarily entered rehab.
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2008, 01:32:24 PM »
The two stories are conflicting, so who knows exactly what will happen.

From working the court beat during the summers in college, at least in NC, when a judge sentences someone in hours, it means they do not have to serve them consecutively.

Not sure how California works. It maybe just how they word short sentencing out there to make it sound worse (higher number – 192 hours opposed to 8 days) than it actually happens to be.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2008, 03:14:34 PM »
Why would they tell him to serve 8 days, but make him wait to serve it?  I doubt that's true.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2008, 03:22:04 PM »
AP said this:
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Scott Weiland has pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor drunken driving charge and was sentenced to eight days in jail.

The 40-year-old rocker entered the plea through his attorney in Los Angeles Superior Court on Monday. He also was sentenced to four years' probation and must take part in an 18-month alcohol program.

Weiland came to fame as the lead singer of 1990s Stone Temple Pilots, who regrouped after Weiland split this month from Velvet Revolver, a band also featuring former members of Guns N' Roses.

Stone Temple Pilots are scheduled to embark on a 65-city tour May 17. Weiland must serve his jail time by May 28.

Weiland was arrested Nov. 21 on a San Fernando Valley freeway off-ramp.

It was the second DUI conviction for Weiland, who has been dogged by substance problems throughout his career.

I doubt Scott's lawyers would be dumb enough to let him miss tour dates,

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2008, 04:16:36 PM »
Quote from: "lovemachine97"
The fact that he was sentenced to hours, not days, tells me he will be allowed to serve the time and work around his touring schedule.

Sounds about right although I think he'll want to get it out of the way in the next couple of weeks - I imagine going in early wouldn't be a problem.

Somba Nova

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cobhammar.wordpress.com
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2008, 07:26:51 PM »
as crappy as this news is. i dont think it should conflict with stp too much.
In Here, We\'re All Anemic.

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2008, 07:14:38 AM »
Yah it could have been worse im sure everything will be alrite
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

Promising_Boy

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2008, 12:21:57 PM »
go go good old Scott !

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2008, 08:32:33 PM »
Its just had to be this way, not surprised, not shocked, not in the least ... even if Wieland gets busted during this tour and has to go to jail who can really surprised??

White Knuckles

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2008, 08:57:24 PM »
No!!! I have tix for the 17th and the 31st... please dont conflict

veeno

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2008, 12:09:54 AM »
Well, hopefully he'll be serving his time very soon so that it won't intefear at all with the tour.  I really can't see him letting that happen at this point but what do I know?

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2008, 12:12:19 AM »
I really hope Mansfield and Camden don't get postponed!

-Chase