September 19, 2024, 06:48:56 PM

Author Topic: The early change in Scott Weiland (Core - Purple)  (Read 20539 times)

stillremaining

• Arrival
    • View Profile
The early change in Scott Weiland (Core - Purple)
« on: December 08, 2008, 02:19:59 PM »
Hello everyone . Just joined but have been lurking for a few months  Just wondering about the overall change in appearance and song writing from Core to Purple.  Core era Scott seemed very macho with the beard , hairy chest and aggressive lyrics and barely 2 years later he is skinny as a rail in full blown makeup (purple liner pics) and writing some very nice lyrics. Is this all due to the dope or something else.  I know Scott is a chameleon but looking at him core era i would be hard pressed to believe that Frank Sinatra is hi idol(something I recently read) . Now you rarely see Scott without a 3 piece suit on. I really love Scotts new album and plan on seeing him in philly in january.  I'm very interested to know about the early forming of stp and mighty joe young and what inspired  Scott  to write core and join/start a band in general.  If anyone has any info or link I would appreciate it.

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The early change in Scott Weiland (Core - Purple)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:55:51 PM »
Welcome. I don't see THAT much of a drastic move in the music from Core to Purple. His look was ever-changing though. The song 'Meatplow' could have been on Core as could a few others from Purple (IMO).
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 03:19:29 PM »
Welcome to the boards.   :)

Well... I'm with SV, mostly.  I don't see the dramatic change that you do - other than with his appearance (and that's always changing).  I agree with "Meatplow" being an easy fit on Core, and think "Silvergun Superman" or "Unglued" would have worked on there, as well.

But, I also think that around the time Purple came out is when Weiland really began to develop as an artist; a true genius of his craft.  He was able to use the success of Core to branch out into some more experimental sounds, and he drew from the criticisms that first album received as inspiration for new material ("Kitchenware & Candybars").  Core was just a launching pad - a starting place.  It gave them enough of a jump that they were able to move forward and really come into their own.

STP is one of those bands that has always been able to evolve and change their sound, while still remaining true to themselves and their roots.  They never come off as a cheap imitation, and always put their heart and soul into what they do.  Personally, I think this is one of the things that makes this band TRULY remarkable.  Its the reason I first fell in love with them almost 13 years ago, and it's the reason they haven't left my heart since.   :)

If you're looking for more information on STP's formation, Rik has a great band bio and timeline, which you can find right here:  http://www.belowempty.com/bandinfo.php?s=bio
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 03:24:35 PM »
I just don't think they wanted to write a Core Part II. As solid as an album that Core was, it was also labeled as a rip-off and under alot of scrutiny. So, they evolved musically and put out Purple, which caught the critics attention and made them second guess themselves by labeling them a PJ rip-off band.

As for Scott, well, he's Scott after all.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 11:57:02 PM »
I thought he changed his appearance more during Tiny Music. I don't think he wore makeup during Purple.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 12:47:25 AM »
I always thought he did look pretty thin in that one picture of him in the Purple booklet, but he still looks "thick" and healthy in the videos I've seen from the Purple tour. I got the impression he didn't start to get really skinny until 1995 or '96.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

cubsof89

• Cubsof89
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • check me out on the book of faces
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 01:08:07 AM »
I noticed a pretty significant change between Core and Purple. I honestly think that they put out Core because they were told to have a certain sound if they want a contract. So they did. IMO, had they been offered a funk or country album contract they would have made a funk or country cd, if anything just to kick start their careers.
Then, after getting a little bit of respect for record sales they were able to expand on their sound and make a sound that truly reflects their talent. To this day, I think Purple describes their ability and diversity better than any other album.

Scott's appearance has changed a lot every 2 years. I don't think he was that skinny in '94, but his overall appearance was a lot different. He started getting skinny around '96
If you give a man a fire, you keep him warm for a night. But if you SET a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 01:12:50 AM »
Quote from: "cubsof89"
To this day, I think Purple describes their ability and diversity better than any other album.
I agree 110%. I've been saying that after since I started listening to Purple.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 01:45:53 AM »
Another thing...has anyone else tried to imagine what it'd be like if STP decided to stay grunge and not branch out into different genres? What if it was Eddie Vedder, not Scott Weiland, that got really skinny, wore make-up, and did all the stuff Scott did/does. I just try to put myself into like 1992...I would never guess at the time that one day Scott Weiland would have done anything remotely close to the sound of 12 Bar Blues, that Chris Cornell would do a dance-pop album in 2009...

down

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 02:36:50 AM »
Wow, am i the only one that couldn't picture Meatplow on Core?

Purple always felt more emotional to me. It has a genuine desperation to it lyrically, while Core seemed more critical of religion and society to me. Mind you, I usually skip over Plush and Creep.. yeah I know..

/.
All that first class jet-set brings me down, down down,
All that first class drug shit brings me down...

stillremaining

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 04:43:54 AM »
Thanks for the reply's.  I have been reading alot of the articles and interviews from this site and I came across one from esquire magazine from 05 where scott really opened up and gives the dirt on his life and how he got involved in drugs.  Purple has always been one of my favorite albums and came out when I was about 15 and I vividly remember enjoying the album from the start.  I'm glad stp branched out and made different types of music. Scott sure does change his appearance alot but also has the talent to change his voice just as much. He certainly has had an interesting life

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 04:46:17 AM »
Quote from: "down"
Wow, am i the only one that couldn't picture Meatplow on Core?

You're not alone. I can see, but I can't. It's easier for me to picture songs from No.4 and SLDD on the first three albums because I don't feel the last two albums had the distinct identity that the first three had.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Sin

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=127989536
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 05:25:37 AM »
Meatplow could NEVER be on purple. Ever. Core has that distinct Dean DeLeo chorus effect crunch on pretty much every song... meatplow just doesn't have that, neither do any other non-Core songs in STP's career, although I do think Dumb Love comes close.
Sin makes me strong.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 06:24:04 AM »
Quote from: "stillremaining"
Thanks for the reply's.  I have been reading alot of the articles and interviews from this site and I came across one from esquire magazine from 05 where scott really opened up and gives the dirt on his life and how he got involved in drugs.  Purple has always been one of my favorite albums and came out when I was about 15 and I vividly remember enjoying the album from the start.  I'm glad stp branched out and made different types of music. Scott sure does change his appearance alot but also has the talent to change his voice just as much. He certainly has had an interesting life
Yeah I read that article too I know exactly what you're talking about I bought a copy of that issue. It's such a great mini-autobiography...I was only 16 when I read that and some of the stuff Scott talked about was pretty fucking crazy and it really kinda opened my eyes to what being a drug addict must be like. It's definitely the best thing Scott has ever written (meaning out of all those random rants and blog posts and everything else besides lyrics)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 08:02:55 AM »
I thought Scott didn't turn skinny as a rail until after rehab in the Tiny Music era. If you look at the video for Big Bang Baby he's still relatively hefty, but then you look at the '97 stuff when he got out and they started touring with Lady Picture Show as the new single he was THIN.

The big differance between Core Scott and Purple Scott, lyrically speaking, is that in Core he was an angry young man venting political and socialogical issues through his music... But by the time he went in to write Purple he had other things on his mind; he was frustrated with the record companies and he a lot of emotional shit going on, including heroin addiction, so his music reflected that change in focus.
Grab the hate and drown it out...