September 17, 2024, 09:17:27 PM

Author Topic: Talk Show Appreciation Thread.  (Read 10345 times)

Jeremy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Talk Show Appreciation Thread.
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 10:07:36 AM »
Talk Show really blew chunks. It sounded like a much watered down STP with an even worse singer and Kretz doing back up. The fuck? Rob's RIGHT there with his voice and we have Erik Kretz singing, and WRITING LYRICS?!?!?!?!?

Of course, I still prefer it to 12 Bar Blues, which I hate. Talk Show, musically, is pretty good (Still Rob and Dean, afterall), and much like Army of Anyone I bought it entirely because I'm such a huge fan of the DeLeos. Some of the riffs are pretty killer, like Morning Girl and John. The bass on the record sounds really good; It comes across really well most of the time.

I'm glad everybody realized they need each other to do good music though. Scott, Rob, and Dean just go well together.

~Jeremy~

Thirty-Three

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 10:36:14 PM »
I've tried and tried developing a liking for Talk Show, but nothing sparks. I really love the DeLeo brothers, but when you take away a fundamental component of their music (Weiland), the outcome isn't very pleasant. Hopefully the album will finally grow on me someday.

The Action Girls

• The ORIGINAL Melody Man
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Is she fighting for air?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 02:32:14 AM »
Quote from: "Jeremy"
Erik Kretz singing, and WRITING LYRICS?!?!?!?!?

You say it like it's a bad thing.
Back for another one

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 03:16:50 AM »
Quote from: "Jeremy"
Scott, Rob, and Dean just go well together.

AMEN.

O0
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Lanegan7

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 11:57:39 PM »
I really liked Talk Show, I was amazed when I first heard it.

Peeling an Orange, holy shit what a song!

I was expecting to hear something mediocre or shitty, but I was surprised.

jwarr5150

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 08:51:28 PM »
I love the TS cd!! People need to remember that it isn't STP-it's a different band,different sound. Dave has a GREAT voice!!

DesScorp

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 01:27:30 AM »
I loved the Talk Show album from day one. I think some of the lyrics are of lower quality than Weiland's, but the album has a charm all its own.
Go straight to Hell; do not pass go, do not collect $200

hurtstotalktoyou

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 04:35:30 PM »
Quote from: "Sklashboombash"
As I anticipate the new Scott record, I began thinking back to 97-98 when we got both Talk Show and 12 Bar Blues. So I revisited the Talk Show album and I’d like to say that I’m so happy to have that in my collection...truly a great set of songs. Of course STP was always grander, and it took me several months to appreciate it (as I assumed that it marked the end of STP – I’m glad I assumed wrong), but there's something to be said about the talent that these incredible musicians possess.

Anyway, for those who have never listened to it, I strongly suggest checking it out, if you can find it. Dave Coutts is no Scott Weiland, but he doesn’t pretend to be. I wish we had some unreleased studio recordings from these guys. It’s bittersweet because I can’t say “too bad they didn’t last” because of course STP came back and delivered 2 more amazing albums (thus far), but I simply just wanted to post a thread of my appreciation of a vastly ignored album.

Sure, that album is great!  I wish I had some live stuff by them.  Oh well.

It seems like everything the DeLeo brothers do is fantastic.  The same goes for Weiland.  Talented fellows, them...
my trading list[/url]
[url=http://comebac

ralphtheman23

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 08:21:15 PM »
It was hard to find, but I love the Talk Show album!  The lyrics aren't all up to standards with Scott's "Sometimes the acid stings my eyes..." but overall it's a really great album imo.  Fill The Fields is beautiful.

Sunday Shoes

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2010, 10:47:25 PM »
Dave Coutts is a great guy.  I had the opportunity to speak with him via email and he's really unpretentious.  

He was also kind enough to send me a rare remix of "New Eyes" from his days with Ten Inch Men.

As for Talk Show, I still keep those tracks in regular rotation.  Great stuff.
Stone Temple Pilots:  The last rock and roll band.

ralphtheman23

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 11:30:19 PM »
I like Dave, it's too bad he seems to have disappeared from the music scene.  I just ordered Pretty Vultures for $1 on ebay, can't wait to hear it!

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 03:22:09 AM »
I have to admit something.
I've never heard a single song from this album.
My roommate was playing some catchy songs earlier and said it was off this album and now I've always been curious about Talk Show from reading things here but I've never got around to playing it bc the reviews seemed rather negative on the forum.
I mean it's got Robert DeLeo slappin the bass so it's got to have some kind of musical integrity right?
Reading this thread really gave me some positive motivation to  finally play it.
I'm not expecting much but here we go
*highlights "Hide" and presses play*

Silver guns and Candybars

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 08:04:16 PM »
SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS, THIS FUCKING ALBUM.
How do I put this into words?
IT'S JUST GOT THAT THING, THE PERFECT ELEMENTS, BEAUTIFUL ARRANGEMENTS, THE SOUNDS FLOATING OUT OF YOUR SPEAKERS INTO YOUR MIND CAPTCHURE YOU.
IT'S BEYOND ANY OTHER STP RELATED SIDE PROJECT WHICH IS SAYING ALOT.
IT'S GOT ENERGY, IT'S GOT CREATIVE FREEDOM, IT'S GOT CHEMISTRY, IT'S GOT CHARISMA, IT'S GOT... AH IT'S SO FUCKING GOOD.
Where do I begin?
Oh yes, I first became aware of this album's existence about a month after signing here.
I may not have ever have discovered this ever sweet gem without this forum.
Where was I, oh yes so I after becoming aware of it I was going to give it a listen a while ago but hell every time the album was brought up all I read was 'yeah dude's vocals suck'
Kinda makes you not wanna give it a chance right?
Plus the Army of Anyone album was mediocre.
Yes that's right everyone, that album is mediocre, get over it.
Making my chances of giving this album a chance more slim.
The other day my roommate plays "Hide" and I over here it, I go what's that?
He says it's a Talk Show song and that was my call to listen to this album.
I was hooked to the song and demanded it be played again. ( I think )
I mean really the album features Robert DeLeo, my favorite musician ever only second to John Paul Jones.
Yes I play bass as your probably guessing.
After some lovely comments in this thread I was pumped to listen to it
First song I decided to listen to was the song I originally overheard "Hide".
I really really like it.
There's a line in the song that I absolutely love and think anyone can relate to.
"I got a feeling we may never show all the love we hide."
However it's not quite my favorite track from the record.
It's kind of a tie between John and Behind.
Behind and Fill the Fields have this great relaxing beautiful slow layed back vibe, kind of the same vibe And So I know would give you.
Wash me Down is insanely catchy and has a nice solo that starts around the 2 minute mark.
End of the World is another great, and Coutts sounds Lennon-esque vocally on this one, in a good way of course.
So Long and John are GREAT rockers.
I listened to these songs at least 5 or 6 times each last night.
I'm not sure who wrote the lyrics to John but they're great.
I was thinking that the song might actually be about Weiland and that one of the DeLeo's may have written it.
One of the biggest suprises of this album, even out of the excellent musicianship was the song writing.
It's really fantastic and creative.
It has a similar ambiguous style to it, but never once does Dave Coutts ever sound like Weiland nor does he ever try.
If I'm not mistaken I believe I have read here somewhere that Kretz, Dean, and Rob all wrote entire lyrics by themselves on this album for some songs.
If not than Dave Coutts is one hell of a creative mind.
I would really like to know who wrote each song if that's even possible.
I went to wikipedia to see if I could do it that way, but those unreliable fuckers were no help as always.
For those who own the album, does it say on the inner sleeves?
I ordered it off amazon late last night and was wondering if it did.
As for the vocals of Dave Coutts, they fit perfectally here with the music provided by Kretz and the DeLeo's.
I'm kind of scratching my head because of the general disdain for his vocals.
His voice isn't pitchy or anything, it's definitley 90's and melodic as hell.
He fit the mold perfectly I believe, and to be perfectly honest I will be soon checking into his old band Ten Inch Men because I think he's a great singer.
His voice is kind of like Scott's Tiny Music voice and the singer from Marcy Playground had a baby.
Maybe that's not the greatest way to describe it, but I can't believe it's turned people off to the record.
It's not like the singer from Jane's Addiction or Nickelback, and by that I mean bands that have singers that some people simply get dislike because they can't get past the vocals alone.
BTW Nickelback still completely sucks and is 100% garbage, but Dave Coutts isn't.
If there happens to be a huge Coutts fan here who knows all the bands he's sung for I'd really like to know.
"The only review of the album I could find online was the Allmusic review.
Still, those riffs would be fine if Coutts was as captivating a singer as Weiland, but he's not. He's perfectly competent, but his voice lacks the character of Weiland, which prevents Talk Show from being anything other than a solid, unremarkable hard rock record."
An unfair review I think, and a little strange that all of a sudden Allmusic is complimenting Scott Weiland  ???
This album really flew and stayed under the radar.
It's a shame, but fuck it I guess I know about this album and that's all that matters  :)
I know there's fools out there like me who have blatantly ignored this record and probably have zero interest in ever listening to it, but I strongly recommend it.
I really feel it's just as good as a STP record, maybe a teensy weensy bit below.
I really feel like the DeLeo's can do no wrong musically, and we all know the mid-to late 90's were the prime so that alone should spark some curiosity.
Listening to this album was nothing short of a wonderful experience.
I came to listen to some groovy bass lines from Rob, but Dean unquestionably steals the show here.
His best work lies in this album.
Fucking listen to it I'm telling you.
You may not be amazed by every single track like me but you should find something that will thoroughly enjoy.
It was like the first time I ever watched Rocko's Modern Life as a kid, or like the first time I ever snapped into a Slim Jim.
Oh and this album certainly has my official stamp of approval.
Now you really have to listen to it.

kazuality

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 09:18:03 PM »

I continue thinking that the s/t STP album is VERY talk show, and no only for the production of de leo bros
Look I just want to go out sometime you know.  Like normal people, spend time together and enjoy each other's company. Like best friends.  Like lovers that care.  Who actually respect the relationship you know?"

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 10:43:05 PM »
I love this album one of my favorites ever ... Just like everything else Robert, Dean, and Eric have created I can listen to it from top to bottom

Favorite song would definitley have to be "So Long"
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides