September 20, 2024, 12:09:29 AM

Author Topic: Talk Show Appreciation Thread.  (Read 10362 times)

Mister Saint Laurent

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • M.SL
Re: Talk Show Appreciation Thread.
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 02:59:06 AM »
yea so long is my fav as well.

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 04:59:13 AM »
Talk Show is one of my favorite albums of all time! I especially love the first four songs, whenever I listen to them on headphones I just feel like i'm in a different place! Musically its probably in my top 3 albums of all time. The Deleos and Kretz are musical geniuses. And then Coutts vocals fit in perfectly! For some reason on certain parts on a lot of the songs it reminds of Tiny Music, which is my favorite stp album, so it makes sense that I would like this. I think this masterpiece deserves a lot more credit then it gets. I hate to say it, but I like it quite a bit more than a couple of stp's albums (probably core and no. 4...maybe s/t but I like all those a lot too).
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 06:07:17 PM »
Talk Show is one of my favorite albums of all time! I especially love the first four songs, whenever I listen to them on headphones I just feel like i'm in a different place! Musically its probably in my top 3 albums of all time. The Deleos and Kretz are musical geniuses. And then Coutts vocals fit in perfectly! For some reason on certain parts on a lot of the songs it reminds of Tiny Music, which is my favorite stp album, so it makes sense that I would like this. I think this masterpiece deserves a lot more credit then it gets. I hate to say it, but I like it quite a bit more than a couple of stp's albums (probably core and no. 4...maybe s/t but I like all those a lot too).

I prefer it over a couple STP albums as well .... Purple and Shangri

Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 07:46:30 PM »
I've always said this album is far and above anything AOA put out. Eric KRetz must be the catalyst...

Peeling an Orange is probably in my top 10 songs ever. Seems like not most other enjoy the song the way I do, but good to see this album is getting the respect it deserves on this board
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 02:11:20 AM »
This album is way better than AoA imo, it's weird because I'm a big Filter fan but they just didn't mesh well together.  Richard Patrick just hasn't seemed the same post-Amalgamut.  I'd imagine AoA would have been awesome had it happened 1999-2002.

People forget that Eric Kretz had a hand in the creative process of Talk Show, which adds to the dynamic.  I wonder why Eric stopped writing after Talk Show?  I mean he wrote the music to one of STP's biggest hits in Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart.

The Talk Show album musically is an extension of Tiny Music, really psychedelic stuff.  Coutts isn't a dynamo or anything but he's got some nice melodies, Hello Hello is a very catchy song.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Dcoutts

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Talk Show Appreciation Thread.p
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 09:58:35 PM »
SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS, THIS FUCKING ALBUM.
How do I put this into words?
IT'S JUST GOT THAT THING, THE PERFECT ELEMENTS, BEAUTIFUL ARRANGEMENTS, THE SOUNDS FLOATING OUT OF YOUR SPEAKERS INTO YOUR MIND CAPTCHURE YOU.
IT'S BEYOND ANY OTHER STP RELATED SIDE PROJECT WHICH IS SAYING ALOT.
IT'S GOT ENERGY, IT'S GOT CREATIVE FREEDOM, IT'S GOT CHEMISTRY, IT'S GOT CHARISMA, IT'S GOT... AH IT'S SO FUCKING GOOD.
Where do I begin?
Oh yes, I first became aware of this album's existence about a month after signing here.
I may not have ever have discovered this ever sweet gem without this forum.
Where was I, oh yes so I after becoming aware of it I was going to give it a listen a while ago but hell every time the album was brought up all I read was 'yeah dude's vocals suck'
Kinda makes you not wanna give it a chance right?
Plus the Army of Anyone album was mediocre.
Yes that's right everyone, that album is mediocre, get over it.
Making my chances of giving this album a chance more slim.
The other day my roommate plays "Hide" and I over here it, I go what's that?
He says it's a Talk Show song and that was my call to listen to this album.
I was hooked to the song and demanded it be played again. ( I think )
I mean really the album features Robert DeLeo, my favorite musician ever only second to John Paul Jones.
Yes I play bass as your probably guessing.
After some lovely comments in this thread I was pumped to listen to it
First song I decided to listen to was the song I originally overheard "Hide".
I really really like it.
There's a line in the song that I absolutely love and think anyone can relate to.
"I got a feeling we may never show all the love we hide."
However it's not quite my favorite track from the record.
It's kind of a tie between John and Behind.
Behind and Fill the Fields have this great relaxing beautiful slow layed back vibe, kind of the same vibe And So I know would give you.
Wash me Down is insanely catchy and has a nice solo that starts around the 2 minute mark.
End of the World is another great, and Coutts sounds Lennon-esque vocally on this one, in a good way of course.
So Long and John are GREAT rockers.
I listened to these songs at least 5 or 6 times each last night.
I'm not sure who wrote the lyrics to John but they're great.
I was thinking that the song might actually be about Weiland and that one of the DeLeo's may have written it.
One of the biggest suprises of this album, even out of the excellent musicianship was the song writing.
It's really fantastic and creative.
It has a similar ambiguous style to it, but never once does Dave Coutts ever sound like Weiland nor does he ever try.
If I'm not mistaken I believe I have read here somewhere that Kretz, Dean, and Rob all wrote entire lyrics by themselves on this album for some songs.
If not than Dave Coutts is one hell of a creative mind.
I would really like to know who wrote each song if that's even possible.
I went to wikipedia to see if I could do it that way, but those unreliable fuckers were no help as always.
For those who own the album, does it say on the inner sleeves?
I ordered it off amazon late last night and was wondering if it did.
As for the vocals of Dave Coutts, they fit perfectally here with the music provided by Kretz and the DeLeo's.
I'm kind of scratching my head because of the general disdain for his vocals.
His voice isn't pitchy or anything, it's definitley 90's and melodic as hell.
He fit the mold perfectly I believe, and to be perfectly honest I will be soon checking into his old band Ten Inch Men because I think he's a great singer.
His voice is kind of like Scott's Tiny Music voice and the singer from Marcy Playground had a baby.
Maybe that's not the greatest way to describe it, but I can't believe it's turned people off to the record.
It's not like the singer from Jane's Addiction or Nickelback, and by that I mean bands that have singers that some people simply get dislike because they can't get past the vocals alone.
BTW Nickelback still completely sucks and is 100% garbage, but Dave Coutts isn't.
If there happens to be a huge Coutts fan here who knows all the bands he's sung for I'd really like to know.
"The only review of the album I could find online was the Allmusic review.
Still, those riffs would be fine if Coutts was as captivating a singer as Weiland, but he's not. He's perfectly competent, but his voice lacks the character of Weiland, which prevents Talk Show from being anything other than a solid, unremarkable hard rock record."
An unfair review I think, and a little strange that all of a sudden Allmusic is complimenting Scott Weiland  ???
This album really flew and stayed under the radar.
It's a shame, but fuck it I guess I know about this album and that's all that matters  :)
I know there's fools out there like me who have blatantly ignored this record and probably have zero interest in ever listening to it, but I strongly recommend it.
I really feel it's just as good as a STP record, maybe a teensy weensy bit below.
I really feel like the DeLeo's can do no wrong musically, and we all know the mid-to late 90's were the prime so that alone should spark some curiosity.
Listening to this album was nothing short of a wonderful experience.
I came to listen to some groovy bass lines from Rob, but Dean unquestionably steals the show here.
His best work lies in this album.
Fucking listen to it I'm telling you.
You may not be amazed by every single track like me but you should find something that will thoroughly enjoy.
It was like the first time I ever watched Rocko's Modern Life as a kid, or like the first time I ever snapped into a Slim Jim.
Oh and this album certainly has my official stamp of approval.
Now you really have to listen to it.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2015, 11:29:11 PM »
Appreciate the enthusiasm.