September 29, 2024, 04:19:54 PM

Author Topic: VR dropped by RCA  (Read 7132 times)

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
VR dropped by RCA
« on: November 15, 2008, 02:03:53 AM »
Stick a fork in them.....
They're done.

BLABBERMOUTH.NET has received word from a reliable source that RCA Records (a Sony BMG label) has dropped VELVET REVOLVER, the band featuring former GUNS N' ROSES members Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum.

VELVET REVOLVER released two full-length albums through RCA/Sony BMG — 2004's "Contraband", which has sold 1.98 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan; and its follow-up, "Libertad", which has shifted 301,000 units in the U.S. since its July 2007 release.

VELVET REVOLVER has been looking for a new frontman since dismissing Scott Weiland back in April. Rumored candidates have included ex-SKID ROW singer Sebastian Bach, former MTV VJ Steve Isaacs (THE PANIC CHANNEL) and ex-SPACEHOG vocalist Royston Langdon, who apparently had several successful rehearsal sessions with the band.

Weiland reunited with his previous act, STONE TEMPLE PILOTS, and has spent the last few months on the road with them.

In a recent interview with MTV.com, Weiland said about the split with his previous band, "VELVET REVOLVER fell apart because there were too many big egos in the band — and I'm including myself. It wasn't necessarily about bad egos, just big egos, and unfortunately, it just mistakenly kind of eroded."

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/de ... wsid=40246
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

pj88

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: VR dropped by RCA
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 02:34:24 AM »
I'm not shocked to be honest. Good luck to them.....

UTRR

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 04:34:07 AM »
Not a big shocker at all, they best hurry up and find a frontman before it's too late.

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 05:17:47 AM »
WOW..I am surprised by that...I really thought they would try and come back with someone...they took to long I think.  They should have picked someone and ran with it.
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 05:20:14 AM »
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

everylilwhore

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 05:33:08 AM »
This is classic. You drop one of the best lead singers out there (ever) and you get dropped by the label. I would be laughing on both the outside and inside if I was Mr. Weiland.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 08:01:33 AM »
I didn't realize Libertad sold so little. Too bad. Great album. Once they get a lead singer in place, I'm sure they will get signed again.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 08:09:03 AM »
Karma is a bitch ain't it boys??

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 08:11:27 AM »
The irony in this is amazing.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Dr. Clinton Wheat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/clintnewland
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 10:12:17 AM »
Wow, i actually didn't see this coming. I thought they'd come back with a new singer. As already said here they've taken far too long over this and interest has been lost. Shame really cause they knocked out some damn fine tunes with Scott but i guess thats what happens when you let go of the best front man in the world of rock. Their loss!

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 03:23:37 PM »
Record companies now have very little patience and even less money to waste.
They were sold a package that included Scott Weiland. They no longer have that package and considering Libertad (which IMO I liked better than Contraband) sold considerably less than it's predescessor....RCA probably considered dropping them a wash than waste more money.
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 04:38:12 PM »
:o  but I don't think it's a big deal...  when they get what they are looking for ( ::)  ) RCA or other will wanna sign...
hope they find a singer and get in studio soon,  nobody never will make the idea of VR without Scott...  but they need do something, they are great together! and change the name... that's what really pisses me off  ::)
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

MedicBarbie

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 05:48:13 PM »
Damn.

Karma sucks.  :P

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 06:35:47 PM »
Ha! Who's laughing now Matt Sorum?!? Fuck you you drama queen
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 09:21:46 PM »
Quote from: "Shangri"
:o  but I don't think it's a big deal...  when they get what they are looking for ( ::)  ) RCA or other will wanna sign...
hope they find a singer and get in studio soon,  nobody never will make the idea of VR without Scott...  but they need do something, they are great together! and change the name... that's what really pisses me off  ::)
People think it's easy to just sign with another record company.

There aren't many of them left.
It's not like the old days, get dropped by Atlantic well then Warner Bros will pick you up or Capitol or Island Records or Epic...
They have merged and reformed to where you only have a small handful of companies to choose from or be signed to.
RCA which is owned by Bertelsmann combined a shit load of record labels to make Sony BMG. Which includes Epic, Columbia, Arista, Jive and Sony.... you ain't getting bigger than that.
Oddly enough they also own RED Distribution which is a backer in Scott's Softdrive Record label. RED backs a lot of the smaller Indie Labels.

They. Are. Done.