September 09, 2024, 10:16:13 PM

Author Topic: 2008-12-18 - Chicago, IL - Q101 Radio Appearance  (Read 20626 times)

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Re: 2008 -12-18 - Chicago, IL - Q101 Radio Appearance
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2008, 05:17:34 PM »
Quote from: "CMCracker"
Quote from: "loungefly611"
Quick update regarding the weather and road conditions:
 So for Thursday, the Eagles of Death Metal will on first around 5:45. The Cold War Kids will hit the stage 6:30 or so. Then Scott will be on around 8:20. So he'll probably play till between 10 and 10:30.
Why is it staring to early?? We can't leave rockford till 4 so with traffic and weather we will be lucky to get there at 6. How is parking??

You have a few options. The HOB has it's own valet garage next to the venue. You can pull up in-front of the venue, and the valet guy will take the car. That usually runs around $16-$18 for the night. I usually park at a garage a few blocks from the venue. It about a two block walk, but it saves you a few bucks.

Weeknight shows at the House of Blues always start butt crack early. So, it's not uncommon that shows could start as early as 5pm. They have a curfew at 10:00 or 10:30 I believe during the week. Q101 started doing the 3-day Twisted shows a few years ago as opposed to the original one night deal. However, they always would have it on the weekends. They were unable to get that this year for some reason.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2008, 05:32:17 PM »
Thanks
Jessie and Christie I will be calling you with updates on my way...I just may pay a zillion dollars for parking because I think we r gonna be late.  I have no choice my friend gets off at 4..no changin that.  I hope the weather is better than yest.  roads were BAD!
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2008, 10:46:23 PM »
I hope The Action Girls is here front row in front of Doug, with a sign that says, "I'm The Action Girls."

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

JohnnyWuFei

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2008, 03:26:40 AM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
I hope The Action Girls is here front row in front of Doug, with a sign that says, "I'm The Action Girls."

That would be epic! The thought of that just made my day. LOL.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2008, 02:39:25 PM »
Now the weather people are saying we are going to get 6-12 inches of snow through mid-day Friday. The shit storm is supposed to hit the fan around 3pm today. Ice and sleet and all of the above.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2008, 02:51:52 PM »
Yeah, they're saying it could get really bad... more like 8-14 inches with ice first... power outages are a certainty. Be careful!
Take it.

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2008, 03:09:50 PM »
UGH!!  We are going to get there at like 8 then...FUCK!  I am hoping it will pass us LOL
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

christie1991

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2008, 03:17:53 PM »
We're leaving now, woo hoo!!  Cori, you can stay in our hotel room if you need to!!  See ya in a few hours.

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2008, 03:28:13 PM »
Drive safe BG and I will see you eventually.  I don't care how long it takes to get home..it's getting to the venue that is KILLING ME!  We will be there before scott starts

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2008, 04:29:30 PM »
Looks like Eagles of Death Metal and the Cold War Kids swapped spots according to the Q101 website. So now it will be Cold War Kids, Eagles of Death Metal, and Scott Weiland closing the night.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2008, 02:17:55 PM »
Hell has officially frozen over.

Are you ready?

You sure?

THERE WAS A CHANGE IN THE SET-LIST!!

All I have to say is moderation is masterbation  >:D

I'll be back later for a review.

JohnnyWuFei

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2008, 03:36:49 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
Hell has officially frozen over.

Are you ready?

You sure?

THERE WAS A CHANGE IN THE SET-LIST!!

All I have to say is moderation is masterbation  >:D

I'll be back later for a review.

BAH! The one show that I wanted to go to and couldn't... and that happens.

Nuts.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2008, 05:54:05 PM »
Reel Around The Fountain
Killing Me Sweetly
Unglued
Paralysis
Mockingbird Girl
Waitin 4 Superman
Big Black Monster
Blind Confusion
Interstate Love Song
Barbarella

Beautiful Day
Missing Cleveland

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from a Scott Weiland solo show. I never got the opportunity to see him during the 12 Bar Blues tour, so this was a whole new experience for me. As much as I was interested in hearing his solo material, I was more concerned with Scott Weiland in general. When I saw STP in May, he did not look like Scott Weiland, one of the greatest frontmen in rock n' roll history. He looked weak, tired, and not himself. This time around, he looked healthier, more energetic, and gave a much better vocal performance. Onto the show..
     'Reel Around The Fountain' kicked the show off. Scott was slowly getting into the groove and moving around the stage. Solid performance. The'Killing Me Sweetly' performance irked me. Scott went back and forth vocally from a nasal sound to the way it is on the record. This is the same nasal style of vocal that he used during 'Big Bang Baby' on the STP tour. That took away from the performance IMO, and it was my least favorite track of the night. After the first two songs, the crowd was pretty low key. The crowd was waiting for something. A few STP chants ring out. Then Scott says something to the effect, 'You want to hear some STP?' The crowd roars in agreement. Then he says something about how they are gonna play a STP that they havn't done in sometime. Knowing Scott, I figured it was some sort of cute introduction and we were gonna get Interstate Love Song since it's been played on the tour. WRONG. Out of nowhere comes UNGLUED! I flipped! The crowd went nuts, and honestly the momentum from that song lasted the rest of the evening. While not a perfect performance, (Scott slipped in a few spots, the band played it a little fast toward the end and he had to catch up)it was still awesome to hear solely on the fact that the set list NEVER changes. The next two performances of Paralysis and Mockingbird Girl were dead on. Scott was in full blown Weiland mode. Great crowd response too. Waiting 4 Superman slowed things down a tad, but not to a stand still. What I don't understand is why would he play another cover when he's got two discs of material to play? Next came Big Black Monster, which after a little keyboard hiccup that Doug had, came off pretty well. The vocal and performance highlight of the night for me was Blind Confusion. Scott pulled it off flawlessly. He was in full-blown rock star mode kids. He sounded awesome. The crowd really ate up this tune. Interstate Love Song came off pretty solid. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather see STP playing it then Scott Weiland's band. It just isn't the same. None the less, it was enjoyable to sing along too. Barbarella closed out the first set. Scott really sang his heart out during this track. It came off really good live. After a short encore break, the bubble machines were in full effect for Beautiful Day. Scott struggled a little bit on the high notes, but other then that the song came off fine. The show closed with a strong rendition of Missing Cleveland and everyone went home happy.

The setlist order is correct for the most part. I know those were the songs that were played.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2008, 05:57:14 PM »
It was also great to FINALLY meet Jessie, along with Tony, Cori, Christie and friends. I know there will be pictures and more reviews up soon. We'll have to do this again  :)

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2008, 07:00:14 PM »
I pretty much concur with scott with his review. It was SUCH a good show! We were hugging the rail on the right side.  In front of our buddy Doug grean.   Scott sounded awesome and unglued was amazing!  He looked wonderful, but visibly intoxicated...I just wanted to give him a hug..he damn near fell a couple times and missed lyrics and stuff...
During the end of Barbarella he started climbing stuff and was literally hanging from the q101 banner at the back of the stage. I was scared my camera was going to get taken away since there was supposed to be no cameras in there.  But i took a few pics.  The bubbles were a cool effect and they had a fog machine for big black monster that was pretty cool.
he came to the crowd a few times and shook hands(with christie and jessie) and doug came in before missing cleveland and thanked us for coming, and for the ohio crew for driving there and shook my hand and the others around us.  
I swear..one of the best venues i have ever been to!

P.S. Rockford is like hour and a half from chicago It took me like 3 hours to get home...driving my drunk friends huge car in a snowstorm..