September 19, 2024, 08:35:42 AM

Author Topic: 2008-12-31 - Los Angeles, CA - Club Nokia  (Read 14235 times)

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2008-12-31 - Los Angeles, CA - Club Nokia
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2009, 12:58:56 AM »
i had a blast this is my 12th time seeing them lol ;D  all i gotta say is that scott needs a break.................abig long rest if he wants to sound good on that album but then again they could auto tune it like brendan o'brien did on libertad i hate auto tuners! its like cheat codes for musicians
If you only knew..

Whazup

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2009, 02:38:19 AM »
Quote from: "VelvetLounngeFly"
i had a blast this is my 12th time seeing them lol ;D  all i gotta say is that scott needs a break.................abig long rest if he wants to sound good on that album but then again they could auto tune it like brendan o'brien did on libertad i hate auto tuners! its like cheat codes for musicians

12 times!!!   Which was your favorite??

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2009, 03:55:28 AM »
Sounds like it was a good evening had by all! Glad to hear positive reviews from all who went. Kinda sucks they didn't change up the setlist, but I think we all have come to realize that might not change for a while.

Andrew, that STP shirt for the show is SICK I love the baby on the front with the skull, great memento to have. Also, great pics you got as well.

Brett, thanks for sharing the pics as well, good stuff. sorry you weren't able to take in the camera.

I agree that I think scott needs to chill for awhile. I heard rumors that they might be playing at rock on the range, idk how true it is but still. I would rather him not do a thing and just rest and get ready to go into the studio to record and get focused.

But here are some youtube capture from the show, enjoy.

Wicked Garden: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N37GYxUsjS8
Vasoline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-r6Bc94 ... annel_page
Creep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IminrrO ... annel_page
Crackerman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC3GvVI6djg
Plush: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDpM2wKby6c
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

DrGONZOakaRaoulDuke

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2009, 03:59:35 AM »
wow... those vids are sick!  I'm so jealous.  I couldnt stop thinking all night how much i would have rather been there.

weilandfan

• My username says it all
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2009, 05:17:16 AM »
Did you have to buy those shirts or did they give them out?

VegasCrackerman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "so much depends on the weather"
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2009, 07:16:32 AM »
Quote from: "weilandfan"
Did you have to buy those shirts or did they give them out?

NYE shirts were 30 bones a piece
2016 Concerts:
6/3 Vanilla Ice
6/8 The Cure
6/25 Public Enemy

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2009, 09:09:56 AM »
VC did you take any vids at the show?
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

VegasCrackerman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2009, 09:13:40 AM »
STP NYE '08 lived up to all expectations.

It had been rumored that there would be a NYE show since way back in June, and I knew it would be the "must see" show of the year if it actually came to be.

LA would be our 13th STP show of they year, and the fellas would DEFINATELY need to be in top shape to beat their previous performances earlier this summer ie LV/RotR.

There were a couple things I had reservations about...the 1st being that Scott has been performing so much lately, that it had really taken a toll on his voice - which was evident during the KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas performace.

The 2nd issue was the lack of setlist change.  Most nights, STP will play 17-20 songs, which only accounts for roughly 30% of their total catelogue.  That's not even touching on the covers/side projects they have all done in years past.  I just felt it was getting a bit predictable.

Anyways, Michelle and I got to Club Nokia around 4pm the day of the show.  Doors were supposed to be at 7 or 8...so I thought we should get there a couple hours early for really good GA spots!  When we got there, it was a small group of about 6-8 people.

One of the guys out front was (I believe) Dean's guitar tech, taking a smoke break.  I went up to him and said hello, and asked if he remembered me from opening D&B @ Red Rocks (he gave me the megaphone when I was done).  He said yeah, and asked if I saw the guy who jumped on stage from the crowd just after I got off that security had to beat back offstage.  He said he saw it on youtube for a while, then it got dropped!!!  ;D  

From there it was pretty much just waiting and talking current music with people as they starting lining up.  Its always interesting to see how STP can attract fans from any and every background...guess it just shows how their music is indeed universal.

Security let us in @ 7:30, and Michelle quickly secured us a prime spot on the rail.  

The Color Turning - off Scott's Softdrive label, came on around 9pm and played about 5 songs...I don't know if they were feeling a little out of place or what, but they just seemed a little nervous or something.  They sounded good musically, and the lead singers vocals probably needed to be turned up just a tad.  Although I do give them extra credit for using a xylophone in their set.

Next was Billy Boy on Poison - a punk/glam/noise band from LA whose average age is about 16.  Their lead singer is quite entertaining, but the noise all starts to sound the same by their 3rd song.  They played 6-7 songs and exited stage left to make way for STP.

Around 10:40pm the house speakers starting playing "Good Times Bad Times", followed by the cartoonish "jazz" number that signals STP's arrival.

I had my fingers crossed that they wouldn't open with Big Empty, and they didn't.  Instead, they offered up Silvergun Superman as their 1st song of the night.  Scott kinda fumbled his way thru the first verse...but it was his only miscue all night.

Also - THERE WAS NO ELECTRONIC BACKDROP...gotta say I missed it  :-[

The next two songs - Wicked Garden and BBB got the crowd charged up and bouncing around...I think I still have some bruises  :P

Next came the Purple Trilogy - Vasoline, Big Empty, and Lounge Fly.  They just flat out killed it.  Excellent in every way.

Scott intro'd the next three songs by saying something like they don't always have to play hard rock, but can slow things down a bit.  LPS, Sour Girl, Creep and Redemption Song (cover) fit into that category.

Crackerman brought everyone back to mixing it up with their neighbors...Plush was easily one of the crowd's faves, and Interstate reminded us that only the DeLeo Bros should try to play this timeless classic.

SLDD got a nod with Too Cool Queenie which hadn't been in the rotation in a while I'm guessing (but still sounded great).

Down was the final song before the midnight countdown, which Scott counted off and the crowd was covered in red and white balloons from the venue ceiling.

Sex Type Thing kicked off STP '09, with Sin wrapping the main set.

After a few moments, STP came back out and fired up the crowd with Dead & Bloated and Trippin.

Two solid hours of rocking out with STP.

After they took their bows...everyone was screaming and just going on about how great the show was.  Definately one of my top 3 of the year.

Also, I bumped into Adam from Softdrive Records and said thanks for all he's done for us this year.

I added a few pics to the hyperlink I submitted on page 2 or 3 of this thread - I probably won't post the rest until I get back home Sunday.  

See ya in Vegas!!!
2016 Concerts:
6/3 Vanilla Ice
6/8 The Cure
6/25 Public Enemy

VegasCrackerman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2009, 09:15:32 AM »
Quote from: "Silvergun Picture Show"
VC did you take any vids at the show?

Sorry man, we got about 300 pics - but I only taped Plush since I have most of the songs they played already recorded from earlier this year.
2016 Concerts:
6/3 Vanilla Ice
6/8 The Cure
6/25 Public Enemy

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2009, 02:03:59 AM »
Great Show.  Had alot of fun.  Great crowd, too.  Nice to go to STP headlined shows.  I recall during No.4 and SLDD they would play so many festival type shows and the crowd wanted to hear Plush and ILS and that's it.  The openers was a suprise atleast, they were solid.  The boys played for 2 straight hours w/ a few minutes break to say happy new year and another 2 minute break for the encore.  Would have liked to hear 3 or 4 more songs instead of the improv they would bust out into.  Would have been great to hear Meatplow, All in the Suit, Unglued, Tumble in the Rough.  Maybe even Coma and No Way Out.  But overall I didn't get my hopes up for add'l songs to setlist although starting w/ Silvergun got my hopes way out of control.  Great night.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2009, 04:14:18 AM »
I went nuts too when  they started off with a song that wasn't Big Empty.

I was just yelling "holy shit they changed the setlist!" and then they didn't.
Bleeda blooda

STPHEAD

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2009, 06:23:55 PM »
Amazing concert, as usual... I got pretty excited when Dean said "Think you can remember this one?" into Scott's ear... It was a playful banter, which led me to think they were going to break out something "new" to the setlist, but it turned out it was just Too Cool Queenie..

Either way, such a great show and an amazing way to end off 2008.
My only exit is a one way out...

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2009, 07:52:24 PM »
Quote from: "STPHEAD"
"Think you can remember this one?"... Too Cool Queenie.
Nice
adhesive love

bonebroke

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2009, 04:37:24 AM »
Quote from: "Casper"
Quote from: "STPHEAD"
"Think you can remember this one?"... Too Cool Queenie.
Nice

Any video of the opening chords for Too Cool Queenie?

andrewivanhayes

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.visualmediatrade.com
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2009, 06:45:56 AM »
i cannot even imagine how the place erupted when they opened with "Silvergun"... wow... to have that so early in the set is a blessing... almost reminiscent of the Purple Tour of 1994... when I saw them in Cleveland... SW introduced the song by saying:

"On a little album called Purple, we wrote a song called 'Silvergun Superman'... (Kretz starts clicking his sticks) ... and it goes like this..."

...then all hell broke lose in the State Theater.

what an evening that must have been.

regards,

aH.