September 20, 2024, 04:37:38 AM

Author Topic: Learning to Drive (Beautiful Day)  (Read 22891 times)

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Re: Learning to Drive (Beautiful Day)
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2010, 04:09:57 PM »
I absolutely HATED the 'keeping up with the Jones' addition. It's grown on me to the point where I tolerate it now though.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
I absolutely HATED the 'keeping up with the Jones' addition. It's grown on me to the point where I tolerate it now though.

I agree 100%.

Wingless Bird

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2010, 09:20:07 PM »
Yeah the first time that i heard the  "keeping up with the  Jones'" part I screamed. Also the sound on the STP one just sounds like it has more energy. The STP version just has an overall better vibe.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2010, 09:42:15 PM »
I don't think this is an STP song for sure....i can't remember where i read that it was probably the second song Scott and Doug wrote right after Big Black Monster. The writing credits for the song are also Doug and Scott.....
If you only knew..

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2010, 09:47:36 PM »
Yeah, I don't think i will be including this with the rest of my STP catalogue. It is played by the band but it is not an STP composition. More like the band playing the backing music to one of Scott's solo efforts.

stewdog1

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2010, 09:55:28 PM »
Quote from: "kshamrock20"
Yeah, I don't think i will be including this with the rest of my STP catalogue. It is played by the band but it is not an STP composition. More like the band playing the backing music to one of Scott's solo efforts.

Besides the quote from Doug above, do we really now if the band actually recorded what was released and not a demo that Scott brought in?  To say that it was half recorded and then dropped tells me that we probably haven't heard it.

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2010, 10:02:46 PM »
The "unreleased" song or outtake that we know as "Learning To Drive" is a STP recording. According to my information, it's from the No.4 sessions, not Shangri-LA DEE DA. Who originally came up with it and brought it to STP, I don't know. What I do know is that the original copyright to the song is owned by Atlantic Records and Warner/Chappell Music because STP's version of the song was registered by them.

stewdog1

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2010, 10:54:33 PM »
Quote from: "Rik"
The "unreleased" song or outtake that we know as "Learning To Drive" is a STP recording. According to my information, it's from the No.4 sessions, not Shangri-LA DEE DA. Who originally came up with it and brought it to STP, I don't know. What I do know is that the original copyright to the song is owned by Atlantic Records and Warner/Chappell Music because STP's version of the song was registered by them.

Thanks for the clarification Rik.

Since it is owned by Atlantic Records and Warner/Chappell Music is that why the "Keeping up w/ the Jones'" was added and the song title changed?

laynestaleyiscool

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2010, 07:32:31 AM »
Not enough love for this song. In my opinion, it's way better than the STP version...It's very creepy and atmospheric. There are parts of this song that could make a scene in a horror movie seem creepy as hell...It should've been used in "Bug" instead of just at the end of the film. This song is a masterpiece though...Best listened to in the dark, takes you away from your mundane life  ;)

hurtstotalktoyou

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2010, 11:53:27 AM »
When I first heard the Weiland solo version, it sounded to me *exactly* like the STP version, except with a pre-chorus about "Jones's" inserted.  I'm still not convinced it's an entirely new recording.
my trading list[/url]
[url=http://comebac

hurtstotalktoyou

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2010, 11:56:10 AM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"

Really?  I thought it was a great addition.  The song seems incomplete, now, without it.
my trading list[/url]
[url=http://comebac

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2014, 06:27:11 PM »
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2020, 04:30:23 PM »
I went looking for this thread so I wouldn't add a new one about the same topic.

Recently been watching Doug Grean's Quarantine Videos.

Some interesting info on this tune. Again, according to Doug's video.
It was originally a Scott song that was kinda out there, arrangement wise. He describes it as "really weird, ambient, avant garde version" of Learning to Drive. a Tom Waits kind of vibe

He brought it in to STP. Doug says during SLDD days, although according to our info here on Below Empty it was during No. 4 - which it does sound more like that.

The Deleos rearranged the song and recorded the version we know. But it wasn't going to make the album so rather than keep it as an outtake, Scott "took it back" and wanted to basically release the STP recording on his album. Doug didn't like that move and cautioned Scott and convinced Scott to re-record the song. So they tried to basically, note-for-note re-record the STP version. Doug added the "keeping up with the Joneses" part.

Needless to say, the STP camp was not happy about it when they heard it. Doug used the term "super mad". It was their rearrangement of the song that Scott ended up releasing.

Doug said that at first the Deleos thought it WAS them on the tracks. But if you examine closely, the drums, for example, are different. Kretz plays a lot of "ghost notes" that the other drummer, Matt O'Connor doesn't. But he did a faithful job.

That version, eventually on the Bug soundtrack and then HiG.
I'd be interested in hearing that early version though.

The band don't speak to Doug anymore. Not simply because of this, but this and other things, I suppose. (On this episode, Doug also says that Brendan O Brien hates him, but he doesn't know why)
Anyway, I've been enjoying these Doug stories and though I'd share.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2020, 06:56:06 PM »
I'd like to hear the pre STP arrangement.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2020, 07:56:38 PM »
Interesting info, I haven’t come across that particular Doug video yet.

I remember the STP version leaking. I can see why it was left off Number 4, it wouldn’t have fit in on there or any other STP record. It’s TOO out there. It’s perfect for a Scott solo record though and fits in nicely on HIG. I’m a fan of the ‘keeping up with the Jones’s part that was added too. Is Doug implying he wrote the lyrics for that part??

Anyway here’s the STP version for comparison -
https://youtu.be/ZA1qsJRwLX8
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long